Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
tbss1
More then meets the eye!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 426 hp
ls3 valve springs

I'm going to change my valve springs, and I want to pressurize the cylinder with compressed air. to hold the valves up. How much air can I pressurize the cylinder with, without hurting the rings? after this I can do the Whipple install.
2010 2SS/RS, M6, OBX 7/8" l/t headers, with high flow cats, MBRP full 3" exhaust, Whipple supercharger, 3.875 pulley, ID-1050X 1260CC injectors, JRE rough idle street blower cam kit, ZL1 fp, ZL1 fpcm, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, cold air intake, Richman 4.10 gears, BMR toe rods, trailing arms, f/r sway bars, f/r sway bar end links, BMR end link brackets, full BMR poly bushing including solid rear cradle bushings, BMR frame connectors and tunnel brace, f/r Hurst swaybar bushing brackets, Fluidamper, MGR shifter, and tune by Jannetty Racing.
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Last time I did this - I just used 120lbs of air....

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think I used 90 psi last time I did valve springs. What tool do you have?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Nothing your air compressor could put out would ever hurt those rings.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes whatever you can put out, yet.....4:10 gears are pretty steep hopefully your nice to the things as I have heard over the years the higher you go the more prone to breakage and the only cases I heard of were 4:10- 4:11 as the teeth get so small and if your draggin that's a shock even with all the suspension mods I baby my axles until someday I can get some 1000 hp drag axles and or a zl1 rear... Good Luck I know its hard getting help in Hawaii...And a whipple...More likely to make too much boost for stock hypereutectic ....2300-2900? Your going to have to keep it turned down, and I don't see on your list of mods a cam..... so worrying about the springs? I would too with boost and want duals....
Old 11-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You'll find the sweet spot. Too little and the valve will open when compressing the spring. Too much and the motor will spin.

Once pressurized, tapping the retainer with a socket and heavy rubber hammer helps to free up the locks. They can tend to bond themselves to the retainer/valve. If the valve just keeps going down when using the spring removal tool. Tap on the retainer again with the socket and hammer. Some can be stubborn if on there a while. I have a BBC drag motor that after a season of racing, takes a small sledge/socket whack with about 140lbs in the cyl to break them free. If you tap the retainer top with a socket and hammer, and air pressure pops out...the locks are stuck. As soon as they free up, the hit will just bounce the spring without the air pop. Then crank down the spring remover.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
tbss1
More then meets the eye!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 426 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I don't see on your list of mods a cam..... so worrying about the springs? I would too with boost and want duals....
Yah, I didn’t mention, I did get a blower cam. I bought everything from Jannetty racing. I just finished the cam install doing valve spring, seats and seals. Did cam, timing chain, gear, milling oil pump, pined crank, crank seal, and I have to do the trunnion upgrade. When I’m done I’ll start the supercharger
My son has been helping me cause I have back problems, he into turbo Subaru’s, since he’s been helping me he seems interested on doing most of the work, he says it’s easier then working on his car. I told him “you weren’t here when I had to center the oil pump, then the timing cover” it wasn’t that bad, just takes time. I told him it’s just a lot of little details when putting thing back together.
2010 2SS/RS, M6, OBX 7/8" l/t headers, with high flow cats, MBRP full 3" exhaust, Whipple supercharger, 3.875 pulley, ID-1050X 1260CC injectors, JRE rough idle street blower cam kit, ZL1 fp, ZL1 fpcm, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, cold air intake, Richman 4.10 gears, BMR toe rods, trailing arms, f/r sway bars, f/r sway bar end links, BMR end link brackets, full BMR poly bushing including solid rear cradle bushings, BMR frame connectors and tunnel brace, f/r Hurst swaybar bushing brackets, Fluidamper, MGR shifter, and tune by Jannetty Racing.
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
NikolaiD

Drives: 2002 M3, LS3, TR6060
I've done a few by just rotating the engine, so each piston is at TDC when you're working on it, that way there's 0 chance of the valves falling in.
No air needed, much easier and faster. Just stick a long straw in the spark plug hole until you feel the piston at the highest positions.
NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 AM   #9
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiD View Post
I've done a few by just rotating the engine, so each piston is at TDC when you're working on it, that way there's 0 chance of the valves falling in.
No air needed, much easier and faster. Just stick a long straw in the spark plug hole until you feel the piston at the highest positions.
How I did mine

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
2SSLincolnSS2
SoCal

Drives: 2011 SS2
Quote:
I did mine this way too. No problem, valves not going anywhere with the piston at tdc. Did the first couple with compressed air and then decided I didn't want to waste any more time getting the cylinder pressurized; what a pain that was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Agreed, safest was to insure no dropped valves...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
This is the meathod I use too...works great!
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote