Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Installed a Powertex Lithium Battery

I grabbed one of these for 499 and so far I'm very pleased. The car seems a bit peppier too.

If anyone has questions please feel free to ask here.

NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:10 PM   #2
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Where did you buy it? Is it made in the USA?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:20 PM   #3
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Where did you buy it? Is it made in the USA?
I bought it direct from PowerTex’s website.

It’s an American company but the battery is Made in China.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
$499 is damn cheap for a 60 Ah battery!
Old 05-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #5
Sillysspeed

Drives: 98 Camaro
Nice to have some other options and less $$$ too
Sillysspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:24 PM   #6
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
The weight reduction is impressive and the CCA as well. Should turn over quicker.
Revalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 11:38 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Hopefully "Made in China" doesn't mean "burst into flames in your garage and burn your entire house down"... No idea what a "Lithium Iron Sulfate" battery is, but I hope it is nothing close to a "Lithium Ion" battery...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:18 AM   #8
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Hopefully "Made in China" doesn't mean "burst into flames in your garage and burn your entire house down"... No idea what a "Lithium Iron Sulfate" battery is, but I hope it is nothing close to a "Lithium Ion" battery...
Lithium Iron Phosphate (C/LiFePO4) is what this battery is, and is indeed still a lithium ion battery. The variation in the chemistry makes the voltage profile more like that of lead acid and also allows it to have a high rate capability (C rate) aka 'can discharge a lot of current.' This battery does NOT like to be charged below 0°C and if done will cause dendrites which can penetrate the cell separator and cause a catastrophic failure. Also at high temperature, above 45°C this battery will NOT want to be charged either and might even go into 'open circuit' condition to protect itself.....
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:22 AM   #9
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
how does this make the car feel more peppy?

Are there downsides to running a lightweight battery in our cars, besides the price?
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:24 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post

Are there downsides to running a lightweight battery in our cars, besides the price?
Less weight.

No.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:08 AM   #11
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
This battery does NOT like to be charged below 0°C and if done will cause dendrites which can penetrate the cell separator and cause a catastrophic failure. Also at high temperature, above 45°C this battery will NOT want to be charged either and might even go into 'open circuit' condition to protect itself.....
Great information about the temperature characteristics.

Quote:
It sounds like this might not be a good battery for a daily driver in some climates.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:12 AM   #12
NG329

Quote:

Per the pamphlet that came with the battery:

"The rated voltage of the product is about 0.8V higher than that of lead-acid battery, and the discharge power is higher. It can effectively improve the combustion efficiency of the fuel in the engine cylinder when it is used in the car with rechargeable battery as its working power of the ignition system. So when you use this product, you may feel that the car starts faster, the throttle is lighter, the engine is more responsive, the power is stronger, and the fuel consumption is lower, which is normal."

I don't know how true that statement is but I am able to feel a difference since installing.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:17 AM   #13
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Per the pamphlet that came with the battery:

"The rated voltage of the product is about 0.8V higher than that of lead-acid battery, and the discharge power is higher. It can effectively improve the combustion efficiency of the fuel in the engine cylinder when it is used in the car with rechargeable battery as its working power of the ignition system. So when you use this product, you may feel that the car starts faster, the throttle is lighter, the engine is more responsive, the power is stronger, and the fuel consumption is lower, which is normal."

I don't know how true that statement is but I am able to feel a difference since installing.
Pure marketing nonsense.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #14
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
Lithium Iron Phosphate (C/LiFePO4) is what this battery is, and is indeed still a lithium ion battery. The variation in the chemistry makes the voltage profile more like that of lead acid and also allows it to have a high rate capability (C rate) aka 'can discharge a lot of current.' This battery does NOT like to be charged below 0°C and if done will cause dendrites which can penetrate the cell separator and cause a catastrophic failure. Also at high temperature, above 45°C this battery will NOT want to be charged either and might even go into 'open circuit' condition to protect itself.....
Thanks for this info.

I think we can all be of the general consensus that this is a Spring thru Fall battery and should be pulled for the winters. Honestly, I don't see why anyone who isn't tracking or racing where tenths matter would want to run one of these. And it's really not a modification that anyone can see.