Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-27-2023, 04:55 PM   #1
CamaroGoesBrrrrr

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Ac smell, how to clean

My ac smells when it first turns on. Also makes the car smell when after sitting for a while. Has anyone found a way to spray a cleaner up the drain or some other way?

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the side of evaporator box to spray it directly. Just not sure where the best spot to drill the hole. Anyone have pics of the box on the inside?
CamaroGoesBrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
AC on recirculate mode, spray Lysol while ac is running in the passenger foot well
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:41 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Check your cabin air filter. It might be time to replace it. AC draws fresh air from under the hood on the passenger side. You may want to spray some Lysol there too.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:22 AM   #4
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I would start by replacing the cabin air filter if you can, but if you find it to be tedious the easiest way to remove the smell is with one of those Meguiars New Car Smell car air refreshers.

Basically, like a bug bomb, you set it off inside the car with the A/C on full blast for like 15 minutes (on recycle I think, just read directions).

I can almost guarantee this product will fix the smell issue as it has gotten all sorts of bad smells out for me in many vehicles.

Edit: Added a link to the product
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
04DetroitLS

Drives: 2022 LT1
If cabin filter does not work, try this:
https://www.amazon.com/ONAMOR-Ozone-.../dp/B0B3LQK2GX

Had same issue w wife's x3m. Dealer said ventilation (not avail on our cars) thru app each time you park the car may alleviate this, it helped a little, but running the ozone once a month has helped tremendously. It will smell like ozone for a day to two after unless you drive around with the windows down. Run the ozone windows up with the fans going in car (ie accy on, ac set to recirc car not running). I would do it same day you detail and while you are detailing interior leave windows down/doors/trunk open to air out (again accy on ac set to fresh air)
04DetroitLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:10 PM   #6
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
as said already, I'd start with a new cabin filter
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:25 PM   #7
CamaroGoesBrrrrr

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Yeah I have changed the cabin filter multiple times and it helps a little. I have tried the lysol trick too. It helps for a little while. I have also done in the past the maguire fogger thing. The fogger helped the longest but I don't really care for the fogger scent either.

The ac drain will make a small puddle on the ground but not as much as other cars.
CamaroGoesBrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:10 PM   #8
S1lent

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Once you get the smell out either have the dealer or if you have a capable scan tool, turn on HVAC Afterblow. It runs the blower after the car has been turned off if the AC was used during the drive.

Last edited by S1lent; 10-30-2023 at 09:59 PM.
S1lent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:50 AM   #9
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1lent View Post
Once you get the smell out either have the dealer or if you have a capable scan tool, turn on HVAC Afterblow. It runs the fan after the car has been turned off if the AC was used during the drive.
I just simply turn off the AC and run fan-only about a half-mile before I get to my destination. Amazing how well it works.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:58 PM   #10
S1lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
I just simply turn off the AC and run fan-only about a half-mile before I get to my destination. Amazing how well it works.

Glad that works for you. I don't think about my HVAC, I just leave it on auto.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:56 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
What year is your car? I see you joined in 2020, so maybe still have some warranty?
the dirty evaporator problem is caused by bacteria growing on the aluminum fins of the evaporator. it is very hard to get rid of without direct access to the coil. In a home system, you can typically create access. Another unpleasant reality is the growing bacteria also create a corrosive environment, which degrades fin performance and makes nice nooks and crannies for the bacteria to thrive.
The best solution is probably to replace the evaporator. I think eventually you will get a pinhole leak and have to replace it anyway. Maybe sell the car before that happens.
The amount of condensate is not a good indicator of AC performance. Get a probe thermometer and check your duct temps.
People always hope the smell is a condensate drain problem, so they go after cleaning the drain. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to be the problem unless your carpet is wet.
Also, everyone is gonna scream mold, but it's typically bacteria that cause this problem, not fungi. methylobacterium is the most common.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:21 PM   #12
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1lent View Post
Glad that works for you. I don't think about my HVAC, I just leave it on auto.

Well, there's your problem! I do this in all my cars. None have ever had a stink problem.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #13
S1lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Well, there's your problem! I do this in all my cars. None have ever had a stink problem.

You're either confused or making assumptions. I don't have a problem because afterblow dries out the system after I park the car. No stink in either my 14 yo truck or car with afterblow enabled.

If you want to manually manage your HVAC, more power to you. For those who prefer not to:

Old 11-03-2023, 07:19 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think the afterblow is a good idea. But I do think some designs of evaporators are just more susceptible to staying wet and growing the bacteria. In my cars that develop this problem it always seems to appear in the first five years. One car where I replaced the evaporator, the same thing happened after another 6 years, and I was using the "manual" afterblow method of turning the AC compressor off for the last five minutes before I got home and running the blower. So my efforts bought me 1 extra year. Then we have several cars over 10 years old that never had an issue. All in the same environment.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote