Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #15
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
it depends what season it is when i get my car. if its the first quarter its probably gonna be snow and cold so it will be in the garage. ill probably be ordering wheels on line for it. but other than that all my f body friends( and probably a few mustang friends) will be in the garage staring and wiping drool off of it.ill probably give it a full detail and get some good wax on it.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #16
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I don't really have an entire plan for it. Basically just pick it up, drive the 50 miles home and show it to my dad, whom I'm sure will love it as well. After that it's probably just drive it around a bit, test it some more, cruise around town a bit...and then go to sleep in the evening and wake up next morning and check the parking lot to see that it wasn't a dream
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by smike07 View Post
I'll probably drive her straight home to some Rob Zombie or something equally as awesome, lift her up, change the oil to synthetic....
I wanted to address this synthetic oil thing. Because I care for all Camaro's, not just mine. :p Don't change the oil immediately. Believe it or not, it can do more harm than good.

Synthetic is generally a better oil, yes. But not right from the beginning. GM Hi tech magazine had an article on this to back me up (I'll see if I can find it). Everybody knows about the break-in period; for the first 500-1000 miles (the longer the better) The rings, primarily, need to seat on the cyllinder walls correctly. If they don't, well...you'll end up having issues later on down the road.

Synthetic oil doesn't allow the rings to seat as well as they should. Because it's such a good oil. It's too good for the break-in period.

So, of course, do what you like - but I wouldn't recommend using synthetic oil before 1000 miles.

And with that - Back on Topic
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I thought a bunch of people said that break in period was a thing of the past? Either way, I'm taking it realllly easy the first 500=1000 miles.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #19
big_bank5000
Bring it back!!!!!

Drives: 2008 G8 GT (its my baby)
i know one thing when i get it im going to put a nice bass system in it. i cant stand those bose system no bass in them. but i wont over do the bass. i just wanna gather more attention to the car. after that save up and throw some d's on it lol. I cant wait when it come out matter of fact i cant wait till the pre order comes out.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Here it is!
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ild/index.html

"During the first several hundred miles of operation, the metal parts of the engine "mate" to each other. While advances in technology mean that engine parts are manufactured to more exacting tolerances than ever before, the microscopic uniqueness of any one piece of metal that comes off of the assembly line or out of a machinist's cylinder honing machine continues to endure...Happily, those days are ancient history, and thanks in part to this advance, no elaborate, "ceremonial" break-in is required for an LS1-based engine. But our beloved V-8s still have important parts like bearings--and most significantly, piston rings--that require a wear-in period to operate properly."

"The type of fluid used during break-in is also important. You may have heard that synthetics are "too good" to use during the first miles on a new engine, and this is true. The main reason for this is the piston rings, which as we have said need time to seat to the cylinder walls properly; if they don't, horsepower and efficiency will be left on the table thanks to reduced cylinder pressures. Mark Chacon elaborates: "The ring face must have ample time to break in to the cylinder wall finish, and running a conventional oil for the first 1,500 miles or so will aid this. Ring seal needs to be firmly established before synthetic is introduced into the motor, and one of the reasons the factory LS1 has such a heck of a time with ring seal to begin with, in my view, is that many come from the factory with synthetic oil in them. Once you put synthetic in, what you've got is what you've got, and the rings may never really wear to the cylinder walls. Of course, feel free to eventually switch to synthetic because of its better properties, but make sure the rings have seated fully first; short of using a cylinder leakdown tester, mileage accumulation is the only way to tell whether this has occurred."
Old 12-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #21
Camaro 09

Drives: 2010 Camaro
When I first start the car and hear the roar of the V8 im going to go nuts.
For the whole day im driving it and showing off to my friends. Hopefully ill stop at some lights next to mustangs.

The next few days, im repeating the process.
Camaro 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #22
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
Well I hope that I can get to the dealer before they take her off the truck so I can take some pics of her because lam going to special order my girl then I will take her to the car wash give her a good bath and rub her down then plan on taking her for a long ride on a beautiful sunny day and show her off to all of southeast Wisconsin, Well maybe not all of southeast WI but you get idea.
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #23
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
"We now interrupt today's episode 'The First 24 Hours' to bring you a few more thoughts concerning synthetic oil."

I changed the oil in the SS for the first time @ 500mi., from conventional motor oil to 'Mobil 1'. I also changed the fluid in the rear diff. to synthetic. No problems to date. (knock on wood)

"We now return you to 'The First 24 Hours', brought to you by 'Mobil 1'."

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:47 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Good find, Dragon.

My first 24 will be having tint put in and stereo installation done. Simple as that...oh, and the plenty of driving that will come after!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #25
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Man did this thread get way ...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 AM   #26
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
"We now interrupt today's episode 'The First 24 Hours' to bring you a few more thoughts concerning synthetic oil."

I changed the oil in the SS for the first time @ 500mi., from conventional motor oil to 'Mobil 1'. I also changed the fluid in the rear diff. to synthetic. No problems to date. (knock on wood)

"We now return you to 'The First 24 Hours', brought to you by 'Mobil 1'."

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 AM   #27
Seanskny

Drives: 2011 2SS RS delivered 6-22-10
My plan:
9:00am pick her up from Berger Chevrolet
9:15am get lost in the back roads back to Kalamazoo (45 miles south).
12:00pm call in to work to enjoy my new BFF!
12:05pm take a nap in the plush leather seating (work nights, will be tired)
1:00pm have lunch with the local sherrif patrol to show of the new ride (paramedic and have a few friends) to hopefully avoid stopping for sex lights(someone is getting f#$%ed lights).
2:00pm stop for a real lunch at hooters, orange shorts will be the first in the passenger seat!
3:00pm show up to work and let them all know why I called in (work at American Axle and manufacturing).
3:30pm stop and get steaks, beer, and batteries for camera.
4:30pm have jealous friends over for cookout and admire the new ride.
5:00pm pour a nice cold one over the new ride and christen it the new SHNZTOY.
5:02pm Quickly wash off the brew and detail to the fullest.
9:00pm Sober and ready to take her out on the town.
Seanskny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #28
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
probably trying to get her back from the impound after a nite off several speeding tickets.
mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote