The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
thought you where having a bad day? mercury comet brake failure

this would really suck....

Last edited by bottletalk; 07-16-2022 at 12:25 PM.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Bummer!
Old 07-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I saw that the other day, guy puts more in a car than most people pay for a house but hadn't upgraded the brakes in years. They go for a test drive and have problems with the throttle cable sticking and smell brakes but keep driving anyway. Obviously boiled the brakes. The person that got hit in the minivan is the real victim here, the Comet owner had too many opportunities to realize something was going on but chose to keep driving. If a lawsuit gets filed on this crash-he's toast.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
I saw that the other day, guy puts more in a car than most people pay for a house but hadn't upgraded the brakes in years. They go for a test drive and have problems with the throttle cable sticking and smell brakes but keep driving anyway. Obviously boiled the brakes. The person that got hit in the minivan is the real victim here, the Comet owner had too many opportunities to realize something was going on but chose to keep driving. If a lawsuit gets filed on this crash-he's toast.
Couldn’t tell in the vid but, I didn’t see any sign of an emergency brake being pulled or footed.
Old 07-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Couldn’t tell in the vid but, I didn’t see any sign of an emergency brake being pulled or footed.
right! then he slams it into park instead of dropping it into first. panicing makes u do stupid shit, hard to say what I'd do but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be what he chose to do. easy to say from where I'm standing. either way it's a messed up situation.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:26 PM   #6
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Driving a 1300 HP car with bad brakes and sticking throttle on the street? The host should have called it off. And car owner is a borderline pos for trying to showcase a car he knew wasnt completely finished.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:50 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
He pretty much covers all the mistakes made prior to the drive...Lack of inspections and lack of use over many, many years, etc.

The guy does a pretty honest review of all the precautions they should have taken and all the warning signs of trouble they ignored (if you watch the whole video), including that there was no emergency brake, either manual or electronic.

But, yeah, if they haven't settled with the SUV driver, that video and his narrative would be Exhibit A in a lawsuit.

Also, his head and teeth hitting the steel dash reminds me of when and why padded dashes became required as standard equipment.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote