The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I think i'm in. My gut is that the RS is the sweet spot but I have time to make the decision after I see a configurator. I'll post pictures in a year or so
Congrats. Did you reserve an RS then? I'd love to reserve one, but only on the off chance that my order would come in early and I'd be able to flip the thing at a profit lol. (that boat has likely sailed by now). I just can't get fully on-board with EVs just yet. I'm going to let a few other hundred thousand or more people work out the kinks first.

One thing about this Blazer (in common with the Lyriq) is that it's likely missing a frunk, which is just a real bummer. GM will say "it offers similar or more space than competitors when including their frunk space" but come-on. Things like a frunk is what make an EV more interesting and show the extra advantages of a skateboard architecture. If they could have put a frunk on the dang thing, they should have. </rant>
Old 07-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #30
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
There's no frunk because of the higher capacity charger hardware up front. Takes up room.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:39 AM   #31
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Well, oddly enough, it's just a MY2024 reservation, nothing else specified yet during the process. My wife is going to need a commuter SUV to replace hers about this size over the next few years so i'm willing to give an EV a shot, especially one that appears this well executed. We have been looking at ICE Blazers for a year now, lusting over the RS styling, but unwilling to buy at the moment given current conditions. I hear you, the "frunk" is a nice gimmick but I don't care about it honestly enough to influence the decision.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #32
FenwickHockey65

Frunks are a nice party trick and obviously offer functionality, but we've been living without frunks for decades at this point. I think people will be okay if the first iterations of GM EV crossovers don't have one, especially with the expanded under floor storage in the rear cargo area.

Interestingly, Lyriq for the Chinese market has a frunk, but less capable charging equipment which freed up space for a tiny one.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #33
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
There's no frunk because of the higher capacity charger hardware up front. Takes up room.
Well, at least that's a reason. Is it the same for Lyriq? I tried looking into that, not long ago and I never came across that reason.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #34
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Well, oddly enough, it's just a MY2024 reservation, nothing else specified yet during the process. My wife is going to need a commuter SUV to replace hers about this size over the next few years so i'm willing to give an EV a shot, especially one that appears this well executed. We have been looking at ICE Blazers for a year now, lusting over the RS styling, but unwilling to buy at the moment given current conditions. I hear you, the "frunk" is a nice gimmick but I don't care about it honestly enough to influence the decision.
No frunk wouldn't change my decision either. I just thought that if the room was there, it would have been very nice to actually use the space. Sounds like the space just isn't there after all.

Side note: We just pulled the trigger on a used 2020 Blazer RS in the medium metallic blue color. I searched nation wide for a good 2 or 3 months...all that time making sure I could still get a great offer on our 2018 GMC Terrain...to try and happen across a good deal on a Blazer with around 20K miles or less, mostly loaded, and in good condition. I think we nabbed one. For the most part, Blazers (especially in this market) are somewhere between overpriced to ridiculously overpriced. We are getting $1,500 under what we paid for our Terrain brand new over 4 years ago (and about 42,000 miles on it now). Comparable used Blazers like the one we bought are going for mid 40s...some more, and some less. We came out thousands less than that on ours. It's a certififed pre-own which makes me a bit less nervous about it. I hope it turns out to be a good reliable car for us.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #35
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Side note: We just pulled the trigger on a used 2020 Blazer RS in the medium metallic blue color. I searched nation wide for a good 2 or 3 months...all that time making sure I could still get a great offer on our 2018 GMC Terrain...to try and happen across a good deal on a Blazer with around 20K miles or less, mostly loaded, and in good condition. I think we nabbed one. For the most part, Blazers (especially in this market) are somewhere between overpriced to ridiculously overpriced. We are getting $1,500 under what we paid for our Terrain brand new over 4 years ago (and about 42,000 miles on it now). Comparable used Blazers like the one we bought are going for mid 40s...some more, and some less. We came out thousands less than that on ours. It's a certififed pre-own which makes me a bit less nervous about it. I hope it turns out to be a good reliable car for us.
Nice! I think the ICE Blazer in general is slightly overpriced in a competitive segment. I found the same (current market new and used) and wasn't desperate enough to pay the premium or search that hard for a deal as you did. In a normal market, we'd probably have one as well. Instead we'll see when my number is pulled on this EV version and reevaluate.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #36
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I think it will take GM, Ford, etc some time to learn efficient packaging of EV's. Or they are just going for what's cheaper than efficient.

Tesla has figured out how to get a frunk, a 250 kwh charger, etc. But they do have the charging port in the back vs front so that could contribute to it.

Note: No frunk isn't a deal breaker for me either. But curious about the engineering decisions, etc that led to no frunk.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:04 PM   #37
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
No frunk wouldn't change my decision either. I just thought that if the room was there, it would have been very nice to actually use the space. Sounds like the space just isn't there after all.

I’ve had my 2020 Blazer RS for 2 1/2 years. I still love driving it. Just turned 16,000 miles with no issues. The only problem I see is the tires wear faster than I’m used to. Hoping to get another year out of them.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:37 AM   #38

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Maybe you haven't seen this one. A few more looks at it. (No front deck lid opened for a a frunk that I saw)....Anyhoo...

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #39
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
I’ve had my 2020 Blazer RS for 2 1/2 years. I still love driving it. Just turned 16,000 miles with no issues. The only problem I see is the tires wear faster than I’m used to. Hoping to get another year out of them.
It's the same color as yours!
Old 07-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #40
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It's the same color as yours!
What other color is there?

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:28 PM   #41
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Well, at least that's a reason. Is it the same for Lyriq? I tried looking into that, not long ago and I never came across that reason.

Yep. All that's under the hood are the windshield washer fill and then a bunch of plastic panel covers. If you pop off the big center one you can access the onboard charger.

Thinking out loud, an aftermarket company could probably come up with some sort of covered storage tray to sit there. Definitely not enough room for anything substantial though.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #42

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Sorry, but for an EV, especially an SUV EV, to have no frunk is an epic fail. Far from just a "party trick" and a who really cares rationale for not having one, a frunk was touted as one of the more desirable gains made possible simply by an EV's inherent design. Just look at the Hummer, for example. Just for review here's several others.

https://carbuzz.com/features/6-elect...ovative-frunks

After a few days to think about it, this Blazer EV seems like a rush-job. Look at Ford's MachE and the Teslas frunks, supposed competitors of the Blazer that shows up without one.

A party trick would be more along the lines of the numerous, mostly pointless, front end lighting sequences on the Blazer.

A well thought out frunk should have been incorporated in the build. My $.02.

Last edited by 90503; 07-23-2022 at 03:38 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote