Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #57
Vai

Drives: In the process of buying a Cam
40psi would be normal or ideal? i thought it should be 36 when warm
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #58
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have owned 13 cars and have always gotten at LEAST 10% over claimed mpg.
If you are trying to get good gas milage and cannot achieve at least stick there is something wrong with you or your car.
Via- if ppl are honking at you for taking off to slow that makes you inconsiderate. You are not the only person who matters.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #59
Vai

Drives: In the process of buying a Cam
Since you do not live in jersey you would not know but people honk the second the light changes. If my driving bothers them then they honk and go around. People that can't wait a few seconds and need to floor the car as soon as the light changes and speed to the next light will not get any consideration from me.

Accelerating like a calm person and driving the speed limit is not being inconsiderate. Everyone can drive like an asshole but then we would just have assholes everywhere even on the net...don't you think?

Anyways thank you for your insight you have been very helpful.
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #60
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE M6
so my car averages 16.5 mpg and i mostly just drive around town i use 89 octane right but thinking about switching to 93. i checked my dads ss and he is averaging 15.5 mpg around town. i do kinda drive it like i stole it though. i still think i should be getting better mpg
Ryan87mets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #61
Camaro25

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
Last weekend I took a trip from northwest Ohio to St. Louis and I got 31mpg. I filled up before I left and I made it there on one tank. I was VERY happy with that. I got 30.9 on the way home. I ran into a lane closing on I70 in Indiana which slowed traffic down to about 10 mph for 30 min.
Camaro25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #62
ender2664
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=Vai;7759784]Since you do not live in jersey you would not
I drive in down town LA, I know about bad traffic and assholes.
know but people honk the second the light changes.
Then be ready the second the light changes. Getting your foot on your pedal to start moving your car more quickly does not hurt your mpg.
If my driving bothers them then they honk and go around.
If people are consistently honking at you, chances are you are the asshole, not them.
Accelerating like a calm person and driving the speed limit is not being inconsiderate.
You said you accelerate very slowlu.
Everyone can drive like an asshole but then we would just have assholes everywhere even on the net.
We have assholes everywhere, if you are slowing people down with acceleration that is out of the norm that makes you the asshole, not them
Anyways thank you for your insight you have been very helpful.
You're welcome
Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #63
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai View Post
40psi would be normal or ideal? i thought it should be 36 when warm
the LS 18 inch tires should be 35 when cold. the psi will increase as the tires heat up and then go back to normal as the tires cool.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #64
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
the LS 18 inch tires should be 35 when cold. the psi will increase as the tires heat up and then go back to normal as the tires cool.
My car is in the shop right now, so I cannot check. But doesn't it say this on the inside of the door? It should also say this on the tires and/or the owners manual.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #65
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I run my Pirellis around 40psi when hot - it helps. And actually accelerating slowly doesn't have as much of a positive impact on gas mileage as does getting into top gears sooner. I skip gears whenever I'm cruising around town - usually 1-2-3-6. I know autos can't do that but you get the general idea. I also think 93 octane gas helps, but then I've only run 93 since I got the car.

I mean I get 6mpg better than my mother does when either of us drive her Yukon XL. It's about how you drive more than anything.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #66
Pcschwenke

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Rally Yellow
The tires on the Camaro are stock and are at the factory rated pressure shown on the door. I think it was 35psi. My wife's car does have the RS package & 20" wheels. Normal driving (same as my car) we get 20mpg which would include highway and city. We do not drive it like old ladies either. My V6 Charger (same year, similar hp, 8 speed) gets about 5 mpg better for everyday driving and 12mpg on the highway. A lot of people reset the mpg gadget on the car all the time, I do not. The values shown above are pretty accurate based over long periods of time.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #67
dmginc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I run my Pirellis around 40psi when hot - it helps. And actually accelerating slowly doesn't have as much of a positive impact on gas mileage as does getting into top gears sooner. I skip gears whenever I'm cruising around town - usually 1-2-3-6. I know autos can't do that but you get the general idea. I also think 93 octane gas helps, but then I've only run 93 since I got the car.

I mean I get 6mpg better than my mother does when either of us drive her Yukon XL. It's about how you drive more than anything.
40 psi hot would be around 35 psi cold. tire pressure should be checked and adjusted when the tires are cold (meaning before driving anyplace). i also skip gears some times but usually 4th to 6th unless im really on it in which case i might go 3rd to 6th.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #68
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
40 psi hot would be around 35 psi cold. tire pressure should be checked and adjusted when the tires are cold (meaning before driving anyplace). i also skip gears some times but usually 4th to 6th unless im really on it in which case i might go 3rd to 6th.
Yep, I think they're at 36psi cold. Skipping gears helps, especially since you simply don't need them all when you're driving normally. If I'm lighter on the throttle I only skip 4th. I actually only use 4th when passing, thinking about it...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #69
dmginc

i use 4th a lot, there are a bunch of 35 mph zones near me and 4th is perfect at that speed. then ill accelerate back to 55-60 in 4th and then go to 6th.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #70
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
My tires are @ 38 psi cold. I don't cruise in 4th or 5th. Rarely rev past 3000 when accelerating. I haven't been over 110MPH (yet). I spend 80% of the time on the freeway.
I got 22.8 on the last tank. Lifetime (1100 miles), average (DIC) 20.5 MPG.

I guess that means there's something wrong with me or my car.