The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-10-2023, 12:30 AM   #1289
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
So, again, what's not to like?
It's a Dodge.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:48 AM   #1290
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
^^
Old 11-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #1291
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
It's a Dodge.
OK, so there's that one thing
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 10:11 PM   #1292
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The 3.6 V-6 makes a lot of sense to me. It has relatively few parts and is a very efficiently designed engine from a production perspective.

The second reason is that a 4-cyl would be buzzy at a generator type duty cycle. The V-6 would potentially operate at lower revs with a more muted tone.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:08 PM   #1293
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
I wonder if the carbon credits even out, sustaining all the new charging stations through deforestation?

https://jalopnik.com/were-going-to-h...-up-1851007188
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 04:01 AM   #1294
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Whatever....The whole set-up makes a mockery of this whole EV transition. Batteries and EVs can't hack it without fossil fuels somewhere in the background, either as a generator in each vehicle, or powering an EV charging station.
56% of the power thats charging my EV at the moment is renewable or nuclear, I had a drink with a guy yesterday who only pays for energy for ~2 months a year as he generates everything else he needs via solar.

Youre entitled to ignore progress but you cant deny its happening.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:37 AM   #1295
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I am not anti electric car or green energy, but I am against all of the disinformation and lies associated with green energy. It will be the future and it will be green but right now its in its infancy and being forced on us. To make a ton of Lithium it takes 500,000 thousand gallons of water, child labor is used in the lithium mines leading to short lives and most of the mines are owned by China, many of the components come from China. Solar takes a huge footprint and takes away valuable farm land, Once again much comes from China, and there will be a HUGE deposal problem once they reach end of life. Unless you have a storage solution much of your solar energy is wasted the traditional generators are still running whether the sun is out or not. Nuclear is clean, efficient and safe but its virtually impossible to build a plant in the U.S. due to legal challenges by the same tree huggers that hate fossil fuel. Natural gas was the answer to clean energy 20 years ago and has proven its worth but since its a fossil fuel the government says it has to go. We have made it so restrictive and costly to manufacture in this country much has moved to Chuna and third world countries that have zero interest in protecting the environment. We are damaging it far worse by importing overseas. Germany has been on the renewable energy bandwagon for a while but is now expanding its coal power plants (coal can be clean). China and Russia are building new coal powerplants without using clean technology-they just want cheap reliable power. Green energy right now is all about money and control and has very little to do with protecting our world.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #1296
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
EVs falling flat on its face as we speak.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 01:52 PM   #1297
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
EVs falling flat on its face as we speak.
Why do you say that? As you plan your answer know that I will come back with a ton of data showing the opposite.

I’ll start with…
  • best selling vehicle in the world in 2023: Tesla Model Y (4th best in US)
  • In the US, EVs sold more than 300,000 vehicles in the 3rd quarter. More than any other quarter previously and leading to
  • 2023 being the year where EVs top 1 million vehicles sold in the year.

So, again…why do you say EV is falling flat on its face?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #1298
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
About 27-28 years ago I tested various EV's for the company I currently work for. I tested multiple vehicles from start up companies to General Motors. Back then everything was lead acid and very heavy-most had a range of 100 miles or less, some couldn't make it up a hill if you stepped for a red light. One almost killed me due to using the factory brakes
while weighing over 9,000 pounds. The GM S10 I tested was a fantastic vehicle that actually could go a 100 miles + but by then my company saw there was a long way to go before EV's were practical and cancelled the project.
About 3 years ago they jumped in and installed charging stations at all their locations and switched upper management to EV's most are hybrids with a range of less than 40 miles pure electric. Any first responders still have a gas/diesel vehicle as we may be working 30+ hours strait with no way to recharge.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #1299
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Why do you say that? As you plan your answer know that I will come back with a ton of data showing the opposite.

I’ll start with…
  • best selling vehicle in the world in 2023: Tesla Model Y (4th best in US)
  • In the US, EVs sold more than 300,000 vehicles in the 3rd quarter. More than any other quarter previously and leading to
  • 2023 being the year where EVs top 1 million vehicles sold in the year.

So, again…why do you say EV is falling flat on its face?

Common sense can tell you that. Think about it. Its a fad. People who buy electric are trading them back in for gas. Who's going to sit around a read a book while your car is charging when you have places to go? The Electric Grid can't handle it now on hot days. Anyone with real brains would say lets completely overhaul our power grid system first, then begin to possibly implement EVs. Tires wear much quicker, and we don't want EVs forced down our throats by fools. Battery components mined by children in the Congo one step above slave labor. You should feel really good driving your EV knowing children got sick and died and were paid pennies so you could drive your Boujie' EV. China controlling the minerals and mines that go into the makeup of the battery, a great way to support our enemy the CCP. We haven't even figured out how to dispose of old batteries as they are highly toxic. Now we hear of the batteries catching on fire. We also hear the batteries are leaching toxic fumes into the vehicles and we have no clue on how that effects health.

But

Last edited by MyNameIs; 11-12-2023 at 07:14 PM. Reason: kj
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:44 PM   #1300
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Common sense can tell you that. Think about it. It’s a fad. People who buy electric are trading them back in for gas.
Let’s just handle this point. I posted this several pages ago but maybe you missed it. Disclosure…I am a consultant at S&P Global Mobility which is one of if not the primary source of vehicle registration, loyalty, production forecasting and sales forecasting in the world. These charts come from one of my colleagues who is the industry expert on brand loyalty in the industry...

First a few facts…
  • More than 70% of EV buyers buy another EV as their next purchase
  • More than 90% of Tesla buyers buy another Tesla as their next vehicle
  • For those Tesla buyers whose next vehicle is NOT a Tesla, the most common next vehicle is a Rivian. The next most is a Lucid. Both are EV brands.
  • The interesting thing about this is that the next vehicle does not assume that the EV was replaced. In many cases the next car is simply an additional car (like parents buying a first car for a teenager)

So this is DATA (not YouTube clickbait) from industry experts.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 11-12-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:57 PM   #1301
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Now let’s handle this part.
Quote:
… Who's going to sit around a read a book while your car is charging when you have places to go? The Electric Grid can't handle it now on hot days. Anyone with real brains would say let’s completely overhaul our power grid system first, then begin to possibly implement EVs. …
What do I (and most EV drivers) do while their cars are charging? Eat dinner. Watch TV. Sleep. Whatever people do when they are in for the night. Because most of the charging is done at home. I’ve had a Level 2 charger in my garage since we got our first Chevy Volt in 2012. For that car and the next Chevy Volt we got in 2016 we almost N-E-V-E-R charged anywhere but home. When we did, it was because there just happened to be a charger wherever we happened to be. We plugged in because we could not because we had to. For people who are able to charge at home it is very unlikely that they would need to access public charging unless they are driving more than the range of their vehicle in a single day. When we had a Volt, that was roughly 50 miles a day. Then the car would shift to gas. That didn’t happen much. For the Tesla we have now that would be over 300 miles, so only an issue on long trips.

And even then, the Tesla can charge from 20% to 80% charge in roughly a half hour. If we wanted to we could watch Netflix or any other streaming on the car’s screen for that half hour or so. Some people chose to play video games on it. Wouldn’t be my choice, but you did ask what people do.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2023, 07:58 PM   #1302
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Would love to see the income level that feeds these graphs.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote