Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #85
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
0 regrets. absolutely love manuals in performance cars. automatic is gonna get old really quick. borrrrringggggggggg
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #86
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Not really. For example Porsche's PDK paddle stick automatic transmission is faster at the track than the manual transmission, Ferrari, McLaren, Audi R8, Lamborghini, Nissan GTR the same, an even the new A10 from GM's ZL1 are much faster at the track course and on the 1/4 miles than the manual transmission. Humans could not compete with that fast and accurate shifting of the electronic automatic transmissions, the big difference is the driver's involvement were you will interact more with the car that has a manual transmission. It's the reason why Porsche after all their cars converted to PDK because of this, they just brought out a new special edition 911 for those owners that really want to enjoy having more involvement with their cars without caring if their cars would have slower time laps compared to their automatic transmission. It's all about choices. One is not better than the other it depends on what suit you right.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #87
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
The track focused ZL1 1LE only comes in a manual if that answers any questions you might have.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #88
KyleL

Drives: Slow
No regrets. I loved the a8 in my c7 and Camaro but I did miss shifting my own gears.

From personal experience with the m6 in my zl1, it doesn't give up any ground to an a8. I can't wait to see how it'll stack up against an a10
Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #89
Kanine

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
No regrets, I would get bored with a automatic. I think the automatic is cool though, just not my thing. I use to get automatic cars and regretted it months later.
Kanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #90
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
No regrets, I would get bored with a automatic. I think the automatic is cool though, just not my thing. I use to get automatic cars and regretted it months later.
I test drove an auto 2SS before ordering an M6 ZL1. It was clear to me in 5 minutes that I was going to be bored with it on the streets. I'm intrigued by the A10, does sound like an amazing transmission but coming from a 6 speed Pony car I really enjoy the involvement of shifting. This isn't my daily driver so that plays a role. If it was a DD I would have looked at the A10 harder.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #91
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
The track focused ZL1 1LE only comes in a manual if that answers any questions you might have.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #92
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I drive a 13 M6 ZL1 and love it.
Meaning no disrespect to Guitarmeggdon, I watched his video with his brand new A10 and It seems so boring to me. I'm sure when the car gets stomped on it will take off like a rocket but what about just enjoying the drive??????
-Bobby
Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #93
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I drive a 13 M6 ZL1 and love it.
Meaning no disrespect to Guitarmeggdon, I watched his video with his brand new A10 and It seems so boring to me. I'm sure when the car gets stomped on it will take off like a rocket but what about just enjoying the drive??????
-Bobby
This is exactly what I think will happen to some/all manual guys that buy the A10. The novelty will wear off and the true fun of rowing through the gears will not be possible and regret may set in.

I'm a manual guy and purchased an M3 with the DCT in July because it seemed to be the tranny of choice for that car. I loved it for about a month and just sold it due to boredom and regret.

Just picked up my 6 speed ZL1 and feel like I've come home to where I belong. I will never purchase a non-manual again as long as one is available and I'm 55.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #94
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I've been a manual guy forever. The A10 is the first transmission that might sway me, might. I love rowing gears, and I think the rev match and NLS and hill assist and all these nice little modern things will just enhance the experience. Sure you might lose (BY A FENDER) to an A10 on the highway, but you had a helluva lot of fun banging those gears at wide open throttle! But a competitive side of me does say "Yeah well he still won", and sure that gets me. I just fear that if I go for the auto I'll say "Shoulda gotten the M6" over and over. And no doubt, if I get the manual and lose a race I'll probably say "Shoulda gotten the auto". Lol. It's a vicious circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
And for the rear 6th gen seat I might as well save the weight and replace that useless rear seat to make it look like something similar to the Laguna's or M4 GTS that don't have a rear seat and just save some weight by replacing them.
This is what's haunting me as I think about buying one of these ZL1s...Should I just get a C7 Z06? I mean if the rear seat is useless, scrap the ZL1, drop the 500 lbs, get the better aero, and in most people's eyes, a Vette is always a little bit better than a Camaro, and they'll probably be similar money for a car I'd buy (Gently used, sub 5k miles).

I don't know, I should probably start my own thread on this.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #95
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
And no doubt, if I get the manual and lose a race I'll probably say "Shoulda gotten the auto". Lol. It's a vicious .
Since you're a manual guy at heart, buying an automatic simply for that rare street roll race victory seems like a waste of 65k imo. If your passion is hitting the strip every weekend, well that's a different story.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #96
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
I am going tomorrow to see about the 2018 ZL1 1LE manual. But I have been reading about the supercharger problems and overheating which raises my concern. I have read that GM supposedly has fixed it since the previous model and now has the 11 coolers. Has anyone had any problems. It has been awhile since I have owned a GM, I have owned mainly Toyotas.
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #97
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
I've been a manual guy forever. The A10 is the first transmission that might sway me, might. I love rowing gears, and I think the rev match and NLS and hill assist and all these nice little modern things will just enhance the experience. Sure you might lose (BY A FENDER) to an A10 on the highway, but you had a helluva lot of fun banging those gears at wide open throttle! But a competitive side of me does say "Yeah well he still won", and sure that gets me. I just fear that if I go for the auto I'll say "Shoulda gotten the M6" over and over. And no doubt, if I get the manual and lose a race I'll probably say "Shoulda gotten the auto". Lol. It's a vicious circle.
I think what everyone that is debating between the transmissions need to do, is find an A10 and drive it. The manual is not going to be much different than a gen 5, if you've already drove one of those. Shifting will be the same. I love manuals and feel like I would've regretted buying one after finding out how awesome this A10 is, but does that mean everyone else will feel the same way? Many manual guys that have driven it have stated the A10 is the transmission they'd choose, but there could be some that would say they'd rather stick with a manual. I've yet to hear that, but it could happen.

Quote:
This is what's haunting me as I think about buying one of these ZL1s...Should I just get a C7 Z06? I mean if the rear seat is useless, scrap the ZL1, drop the 500 lbs, get the better aero, and in most people's eyes, a Vette is always a little bit better than a Camaro, and they'll probably be similar money for a car I'd buy (Gently used, sub 5k miles).

I don't know, I should probably start my own thread on this.
Now I wouldn't say the back seat is useless like most everyone keeps saying. It works great for us with our 2 kids. My wife and I have even climbed in the back without adjusting the front seats up to give us any additional room in back and we can fit......fairly comfortable. No way would we want to go on a long trip back there, but a quick little joy ride would be no problem. I'm 5'9" 170 lbs for reference. So the front was adjusted for my driving comfort and I could still fit behind the front seat. It took a little effort getting my feat in under the front seat, which happens to be raised up quite a bit for better visibility while I drive, but I can still fit. If I were going to drive someone my size in the back, I could give up a little comfort in front to slide the seat forward and allow more room and comfort in back. At least for joy rides. More on rear seat room. As long as I didn't try to lay my head back, I had the slightest bit of room between my head and the roof. If I try to lay back, it will touch, so someone my height and size is about the limits back there.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #98
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I am going tomorrow to see about the 2018 ZL1 1LE manual. But I have been reading about the supercharger problems and overheating which raises my concern. I have read that GM supposedly has fixed it since the previous model and now has the 11 coolers. Has anyone had any problems. It has been awhile since I have owned a GM, I have owned mainly Toyotas.
Fixed. Every review and test anyone has performed so far has came back with all temps remaining normal no matter how hard they've pushed the car.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote