Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #71
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
I will concede. The ¼ mph difference between the GT and the SS I was referencing seemed to be the exception, not the rule. From everything I have seen, it’s a good 3-4 mph average….comparing the same trim (M6 vs M6). The autos of each variety will trap quicker.

Even so, everything I have seen seems to point to the GT350 being 3-4 mph on average faster. The M6 SS seems to trap a good 114mph while the GT350 (non R) seems to trap a good 117mph (again, on average). Again, the delta between each is comparable. While the GT350’s may not be geared for the ¼ mile, don’t think for a second they aren’t capable of ET’s far better than an SS. You’ll see it as soon as someone has the balls to throw slicks on one and side step the clutch at 6500+ RPM. If you don’t think there is enough kinetic energy in the flywheel at that speed to launch, you are sorely mistaken.

It’s also my understanding that while the 1le may be great at the track, there are no times yet confirming how it fared against the GT350…and everything hint’s that it is marginally slower, not quicker. Let’s not play the….I’ll change my tire game, as this is stock VS stock. As soon as you change your tires, I’ll change my suspension and intake. We all know how quickly the GT catches up with bolt-ons.

We all are spoiled. To say that the current base GT handles like a boat is akin to saying the previous gen M3 handles like a boat. Yes, the comparison I posted compared the base 2011 track pack against the M3…however, the current base GT is a better performer.

The SS is without a doubt quicker than the mustang. That point is irrefutable. A driver mod in the mustang is more than capable however of surpassing that gap. Stoplight to stoplight I used to beat up LS1’s with my stock foxbody…that just so happened to run high 13’s (driver mod). It’s not all about the car. See the link to the BMW vs Mustang I posted previously. While Randy Pobst was .09 seconds quicker in the BMW vs the GT, the writer was .55 seconds quicker in the GT vs the BMW. It took a pro driver to really show that the BMW was so very slightly quicker. The .55 second gap that the average Joe threw down with the GT is significant.

A few more comments…I chose the Mustang over the Camaro in spite of the performance gap. Many here obviously chose the Camaro due to the performance gap. I like my trunk and rear seat space, ya’ll don’t seem to care about that.

I’m starting to ramble. I’ll leave this thread alone, I’ve said my peace.

Once the track pack was added to the base car, it is no longer a base car. You take a base s550 GT, then take Base s550 GT and add the PP then tell me which will handle better. It takes adding the PP on either the base or premium to match the SS. NO BASE GT will match a SS.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #72
Jkfsu
Banned

Drives: 2016 5.0
Not even a track pack GT with gt350 manifold will match. I've run a few GT PP with Lund tunes/e85/intake and X pipe and beat them from a roll.
Jkfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #73
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkfsu View Post
Not even a track pack GT with gt350 manifold will match. I've run a few GT PP with Lund tunes/e85/intake and X pipe and beat them from a roll.
Just a GT350 manifold setup should make the GT a wash with the SS in the 1/4. Long tube headers, cai and tune alone are good for 116mph traps in the GT. Hell, there are guys with a Lund e85 tune, catback and skinneys/drag radials running 11's and trapping 117+mph.

Different drivers have different abilities.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #74
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
Once the track pack was added to the base car, it is no longer a base car. You take a base s550 GT, then take Base s550 GT and add the PP then tell me which will handle better. It takes adding the PP on either the base or premium to match the SS. NO BASE GT will match a SS.
Indeed, however you missed my point and are arguing semantics.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #75
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Just a GT350 manifold setup should make the GT a wash with the SS in the 1/4. Long tube headers, cai and tune alone are good for 116mph traps in the GT. Hell, there are guys with a Lund e85 tune, catback and skinneys/drag radials running 11's and trapping 117+mph.

Different drivers have different abilities.
I have to somewhat agree...

Well documented race of which both owners were on the same site with mustang having those same mods. they met up for a race. Everything was legit.

Stock SS manual with good driver. 15 GT auto with e85 tune, drag pack, cat back and minor suspension mods eeked out a win in every race. Very very close. Races were from rolls of various speeds. Maybe he'll chime in hes a member here.

It takes more than just a tune to match an SS. Even an e85 tune alone wont do it. Another well placed mod or two on top of an e85 tune and its even. FBO and the 5.0 will beat a stock SS no prob.

For comparison though...stock SS on drag pack has been 11.7@118 so far. Then they pick up 35rwhp with e85. So just a drag pack and e85 SS is formidable. Id wager to say an e85 and drag pack SS would give an FBO 5.0 fits.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #76
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Indeed, however you missed my point and are arguing semantics.
Nope, just making a clarification. You keep saying a base GT this and base GT that. So by your reasoning, a 1le is the same as a 1ss.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #77
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I have to somewhat agree...

Well documented race of which both owners were on the same site with mustang having those same mods. they met up for a race. Everything was legit.

Stock SS manual with good driver. 15 GT auto with e85 tune, drag pack, cat back and minor suspension mods eeked out a win in every race. Very very close. Races were from rolls of various speeds. Maybe he'll chime in hes a member here.

It takes more than just a tune to match an SS. Even an e85 tune alone wont do it. Another well placed mod or two on top of an e85 tune and its even. FBO and the 5.0 will beat a stock SS no prob.

For comparison though...stock SS on drag pack has been 11.7@118 so far. Then they pick up 35rwhp with e85. So just a drag pack and e85 SS is formidable. Id wager to say an e85 and drag pack SS would give an FBO 5.0 fits.
Anyway you cut it, it's a good time to own American muscle.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #78
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Anyway you cut it, it's a good time to own American muscle.
You gonna do a 350 manifold? they seem to help a lot. That and a tune would be a good running car.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #79
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
You gonna do a 350 manifold? they seem to help a lot. That and a tune would be a good running car.
Eventually...maybe. My dealer threw in an extended 10 year, 200k mile drive-train warranty to get my $, so time will tell. It looks like right now, the Ford performance pack 3 (GT350 intake, throttle body, GT350 CAI and calibration) is going for a smidge over $1700 at a well known Ford dealership. Not a bad deal for 37 peak HP and 60 extra HP at 7500 rpm.

Considering how stout the coyote is, it's tempting to throw on a Whipple and be done with it. A 93 octane tune get's you 718rwhp.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #80
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Eventually...maybe. My dealer threw in an extended 10 year, 200k mile drive-train warranty to get my $, so time will tell. It looks like right now, the Ford performance pack 3 (GT350 intake, throttle body, GT350 CAI and calibration) is going for a smidge over $1700 at a well known Ford dealership. Not a bad deal for 37 peak HP and 60 extra HP at 7500 rpm.

Considering how stout the coyote is, it's tempting to throw on a Whipple and be done with it. A 93 octane tune get's you 718rwhp.
Hopefully the calibration is better than ive heard about in the past from ford.
1700 for just the parts im assuming. That's a decent deal if the tune is good. Hard to beat a custom tune though.

Never been a fan of FI but that would be cool. I just like the competition of motor to motor. Just seems like most mustang guys go right to the blower. Would be sweet to see more max effort NA builds with cams etc. especially now that the coyote can hold its own in this regard. In the 3v and earlier days not much of a choice if you wanted to compete lol.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #81
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Hopefully the calibration is better than ive heard about in the past from ford.
1700 for just the parts im assuming. That's a decent deal if the tune is good. Hard to beat a custom tune though.

Never been a fan of FI but that would be cool. I just like the competition of motor to motor.
Yep, $1700 for parts. Add $200-$300 in labor to keep the warranty in check (needs to be installed by ASE cert). I have heard these tunes are better than the past. Time will tell though. The only issues so far are from those that removed the clutch assist spring and shifting at high RPM. Ford added a no-lift shift to the tunes, and the spring delete seems to put some slack in the system that falsely triggers the no lift.

I'm with you, FI "almost" cheating. There is only so much power you can really use on the street, and both of these vehicles are pushing the limits already. I just find it astounding that Ford is putting out a motor that has no problems pushing extreme levels of horsepower with the stock longblock. My twin turbo notchback was in block breaking territory at 500rwhp.

What would be nice would be a better launch control system. I've heard great things about BMW's.