The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #71
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
I don't feel tardy.....
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #72
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
i took a quick flip through this thread, i don't think i overlooked my question. if i did, bash away

what's the difference between the volt and the prius, technology wise? or are they both based off similar principles. i know the volt runs off electrical power for 40 miles or so before the gas engine kicks in to charge the batteries, but i have no knowledge of the prius, and everything i read succeeded in confusing the heck out of me. anyone know if prius uses the same principle?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #73
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
here Bob Lutz explains it here with Jay Leno
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #74
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
very nice, thanks tford.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #75
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InventoryGuy View Post
Do your research before you start posting mindless dribble. First start by READING what caused teh Dust Bowl.

PLanet has been around for a while for sure. But look at the amount of polutants we have pumped into it in just the last 50 years compared to the amount of time. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS PEOPLE. Is something like Hybrid technology the magic bullet. Of course not, but it is forward progress.

I could care less about your political agenda. Spout all your conspiracy theories, makes not difference to the fact that humans are causing MASSIVE amount of damage to this planet. I truly don't think we can judge just how bad but it seems to make pretty simple sense that the more we reduce the pollution the better off we will all be.

I am no tree hugger but I do want my kids and their kids to enjoy the plant as much as possible. And if a nation full of hybrid vehicles that are running on less fossil fuels and therefore causing less pollution then I am fine with it.

THen there is the whole concept of breaking the US dependancy of foriegn oil, which will be good for the plant and also great for our economy.

We all get it, you are bucking the system and won't give in to the "man".
You can call it a political agenda if you want but I think most people are not fooled by the junk science that's being promoted and that the people behind it just happen to fall across political lines and therefore the politics is not the motivation and does not matter to most people.

I don't think "Every Little Bit Helps" is a good supporting argument when the very people who have been the most influential in promoting their theory of global warming are among the worst contributors to the very emissions they are fighting against (Private jets, huge houses with lights on all the time, huge pools, limos, etc. etc.)

These hypocrites want to GUILT people into changing their lifestyles in ways that will make money for those in power. There's almost certainly a grain of truth behind the science but they have distorted the facts to SHAME people into their cause.

I wonder if they know how much CO2 that breathing emits? Are they aware that people emite MORE CO2 when they exercize? Maybe they will ban sports next!

This stuff is out of hand and most people don't care about the politics. Hypocrites are hypocrites no matter what party they are in.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #76
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Global warming is happening. It will happen again, just like it happened many times before. Every so many years, a cycle of the Earth completes, leading to a disastrous ice age, devastation, and extinction of a wide variety of creatures. Humans are not at risk for such extinction because many of us live in environments that will not be affected by the ice age when the next one comes.

What many of you imagine to be a political agenda is that people have never had the technology we have now. With this technology, we can do damage to the environment on a scale never witnessed in the past. We can deplete nutrients from the soil; we can fill the sky with dark clouds; we can cause radiation that annihilates parts of the world for thousands of years. On Earth, there are witnesses to all of these problems in various places.

The basic idea, without going into textbooks for it, is that the ice age sucks and the polluting technology that we have will probably affect it. The odds are that it will start earlier, last longer, and kill more people. This is based on the impact of technologies that increase the number of toxins in the atmosphere, soil, and ocean. While those toxins occur naturally, there are more of them now than have ever existed. If I have to point out that toxins, by their very nature, are bad, then you need to read more academic material.

Is it a political agenda to worry that people might die? It isn't an agenda when we send firefighters into buildings, so why is this just junk science? Of course, every scientist is human and potentially guided by questionable moral positioning, but that doesn't stop the ice age from coming. Even if the goal of someone's research is to prove for certain that an ice age will wipe out human populations and will millions in awards, I think we need to consider this as a real threat in a few generations or less.

All I'm saying is that there is human influence everywhere, so why is it so hard to believe that human influence can affect the very cycles the Earth experiences?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #77
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
All I'm saying is that there is human influence everywhere, so why is it so hard to believe that human influence can affect the very cycles the Earth experiences?
These cycles have happened for millions of years, long before we had any impact. The Green movement is all about self-importance. The politicians have convinced everyone that their small actions are going to alter the warming of the planet. If any of this were true, then tell me why is Mars ice caps melting? http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-warming.html

They would twist that info into something like: Well the emissions from your SUV is going through the hole in the O-zone and going right to Mars!

The number one green house gas is Water vapor. Not Carbon Monoxide or anything like that.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #78
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
These cycles have happened for millions of years, long before we had any impact. The Green movement is all about self-importance. The politicians have convinced everyone that their small actions are going to alter the warming of the planet. If any of this were true, then tell me why is Mars ice caps melting? http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-warming.html

They would twist that info into something like: Well the emissions from your SUV is going through the hole in the O-zone and going right to Mars!

The number one green house gas is Water vapor. Not Carbon Monoxide or anything like that.
That's only half of what I said, though. The other half is that the toxins that have coincided with industrial development may change those cycles. It may make them longer, more severe, or more devastating. None of us want that. Even if those hypotheses might be false, would you like to risk civilization to find out? I'm not siding with anyone by pointing out that devastation is bad. Any ice age will annihilate civilization as far south as the Missouri River. If that is the case, then a more severe one might head further south, but we don't know how far. Would you like to see an entire Northern Hemisphere obliterated by ice and snow? I'd hate to see my country disappear, not because of human error in policy but rather because humans failed to realize their profound impact on the world around them.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #79
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Global warming is happening. It will happen again, just like it happened many times before. Every so many years, a cycle of the Earth completes, leading to a disastrous ice age, devastation, and extinction of a wide variety of creatures. Humans are not at risk for such extinction because many of us live in environments that will not be affected by the ice age when the next one comes.

What many of you imagine to be a political agenda is that people have never had the technology we have now. With this technology, we can do damage to the environment on a scale never witnessed in the past. We can deplete nutrients from the soil; we can fill the sky with dark clouds; we can cause radiation that annihilates parts of the world for thousands of years. On Earth, there are witnesses to all of these problems in various places.

The basic idea, without going into textbooks for it, is that the ice age sucks and the polluting technology that we have will probably affect it. The odds are that it will start earlier, last longer, and kill more people. This is based on the impact of technologies that increase the number of toxins in the atmosphere, soil, and ocean. While those toxins occur naturally, there are more of them now than have ever existed. If I have to point out that toxins, by their very nature, are bad, then you need to read more academic material.

Is it a political agenda to worry that people might die? It isn't an agenda when we send firefighters into buildings, so why is this just junk science? Of course, every scientist is human and potentially guided by questionable moral positioning, but that doesn't stop the ice age from coming. Even if the goal of someone's research is to prove for certain that an ice age will wipe out human populations and will millions in awards, I think we need to consider this as a real threat in a few generations or less.

It's only a matter of time before a supervolcano erupts or a solar flare hits os or an asteroid impacts the planet the pushes the "reset" button on the world.

In the final moments before the catastrophe, the glabal warming alarmists will realize they wasted their whole lives instead of living life to it's fullest!

"Oh Snap!"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #80
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by InventoryGuy View Post
Do your research before you start posting mindless dribble. First start by READING what caused teh Dust Bowl.

PLanet has been around for a while for sure. But look at the amount of polutants we have pumped into it in just the last 50 years compared to the amount of time. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS PEOPLE. Is something like Hybrid technology the magic bullet. Of course not, but it is forward progress.

I could care less about your political agenda. Spout all your conspiracy theories, makes not difference to the fact that humans are causing MASSIVE amount of damage to this planet. I truly don't think we can judge just how bad but it seems to make pretty simple sense that the more we reduce the pollution the better off we will all be.

I am no tree hugger but I do want my kids and their kids to enjoy the plant as much as possible. And if a nation full of hybrid vehicles that are running on less fossil fuels and therefore causing less pollution then I am fine with it.

THen there is the whole concept of breaking the US dependancy of foriegn oil, which will be good for the plant and also great for our economy.

We all get it, you are bucking the system and won't give in to the "man".
Way to go genius, Get back in line...oh, and here is a Kool-Aid refill.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #81
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:

TFord is offline   Reply With Quote