The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #57
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I doubt it. At that price I would expect a lot of Z06 orders. Everyone seems to be stunned at the price.
They're two very different cars in two different price classes so it is a bad comparison. The ZL1 will still be a better strip car.
I would agree with you. That price is a steal for such a great car. I "may" consider one with the Z07 package.
I think the Z06 will be a way better strip car though. It's lighter and faster.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #58
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
C7 Z06 is faster , lighter, better handling. How is Hellcat better.
First of all I was kidding.

Second of all have you driven the C7 ZO6? How do you know it's faster, lighter, and better handling? Assumptions? I'm not a fool. Don't ever think that.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #59
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
I think a base z06 will beat a z28. GM needs to lower those z28. They wont be that special byt the time ford will release their gt350 and gm their z06. Still an insane track capable car this z28 anyway! I wish I could have ordered a LS7 1LE...too broke for a Z28 lol

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.

Last edited by WHAMMO; 08-24-2014 at 08:41 PM.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #60
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
They wont be that special byt the time ford will release their gt350 and gm their z06.
nope they will always be special...last of the 427s!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #61
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I would agree with you. That price is a steal for such a great car. I "may" consider one with the Z07 package.
I think the Z06 will be a way better strip car though. It's lighter and faster.
A Corvette has never been a great strip car. They've never been known for putting the power down well. A ZL1 can be built a lot cheaper and the chassis will be able to take a lot more punishment. You don't see many Corvettes doing wheel stands. There are lots of Camaros out there that do, though.

This thread is stupid.

The biggest problem the Z06 has is it's a Corvette. A Corvette is one of the least practical mass-produced cars on the road. They are impossible to have as your only car because they suck at anything other than driving two people around. There is no utility in them at all, so your $79,000+ purchase must be an additional purchase on top of your practical car you can actually live your life with. A badass car no doubt, but all these comparisons to a Camaro is laughable because they are designed for two completely different purposes. You can live your life out of a Camaro and drive your family around in a Camaro. The 5th Gen is one of the most utilitarian muscle cars ever made - comparatively huge, comfortable back seats, a shockingly usable trunk and it's great in all weather with appropriate tires. Yes, a Corvette will be better at raw speed and performance because GM specifically designs their cars so nothing can outperform a Corvette stock-for-stock. For pretty much anything else, a Camaro is better at. The Z06 is a great value, yes. It is probably the best value in the "near super car" class ever made. But a Camaro is one of the best all around affordable vehicles ever made - be it the V6 or the V8.

Comparing a Z06 to the Z/28 is laughable as well. The idea behind the Z/28 is that it is a stripped down, mechanical beast. You need to be able to drive very well to handle a Z/28. The Z06 is a digital, technological vehicle designed to take a lot of the skill out of driving. It's made to compete with the likes of a GT-R - things are becoming so easy anyone can drive them. It looks like GM even ripped off some of Nissan's design cues. The new Z06 is some kind of Corvette/GT-R hybrid in the looks department. Electronic nanny systems, paddle shifters, launch control, park assist and God only knows what else, comparing a Z/28 to the Z06, one is a rare driver's car and one of an impressively affordable piece of technology designed to help an incompetent oaf look like a superstar.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #62
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
You can live your life out of a Camaro and drive your family around in a Camaro. The 5th Gen is one of the most utilitarian muscle cars ever made - comparatively huge, comfortable back seats, a shockingly usable trunk and it's great in all weather with appropriate tires.
very well put.

I haul beach stuff and 3 kids all around...and have stuffed a big tent and cooler in the trunk and camped too.

I love the new zo6 but at this point in my life this works much better for me and most importantly I NEVER WANTED a Corvette in the first place...why do people keep forgetting if given the choice many would choose the Camaro over the Corvette and utility is a big factor....and how about looks...Z/28 wins there too. Imho the new zo6 is stunning until the Darth Vader inspired rear end kills it.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #63
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
I think a base z06 will beat a z28. GM needs to lower those z28. They wont be that special byt the time ford will release their gt350 and gm their z06. Still an insane track capable car this z28 anyway! I wish I could have ordered a LS7 1LE...too broke for a Z28 lol
The Z/28 is expensive because it used a lot of expensive parts that no other cars do. This Z06 is cheap because a lot of its development costs were spread out over other cars. The transmission is going to be used in other cars, the engine is more or less a modified LT1, the chassis was used by the C7.R and and the Z/28 also used the brakes.

The Z/28 is special because it's a hardcore track car. This Z06 is far from a hardcore track car.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #64
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I've seen a perhaps unintended derogatory term used to describe the Z06, since its announced price was revealed. And that term is "cheap".

BEFORE anyone gets upset with the above statement, and the next statement, I have NOT "QUOTED" anyone directly. But the term has popped up, repeatedly...

1) ANYTHING commanding a price of $79K is NOT "cheap". Unless you're a 1%er, and not many inhabit these hallowed halls...

2) How about OUTSTANDING VALUE? Or, if you don't wanna use all those letters (it took me 7 seconds to type that, two-fingered!), simply call it GREAT VALUE (that took only 5 seconds!). Or OV, or GV, or some two-lettered version of same.

VALUE is the intersection of Features and Price. VALUE is what the Z06 has in SPADES!

[rant over, but PLEASE don't call it "cheap". It cheapens the perception of this OUTSTANDING vehicle at an almost unbelievable price! imvho]
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #65
ksupkt87

Drives: 2014 Z/28
A few things come to mind, in my opinion, regarding this ongoing debate based on the announced Corvette pricing. The Camaro in all styles including the Z/28 is a muscle car. The Corvette is a two seat sports car. The Camaro represents youth with buyers in their teens on up owning or aspiring to own one. Most Corvette drivers are 40+ and the Z06 will likely push the age average up. Two different demographics/target markets. I was at Road America this weekend with my son and there were Corvettes everywhere. It was the Z/28 that drew attention from the track workers (many came over to see it or gave thumbs up) as well as from owners of other vehicles (Nissans, Mustangs, etc). Both are great cars, the Camaro is an outstanding muscle car and the Z/28 is the track muscle of the line.

Last edited by ksupkt87; 08-24-2014 at 10:45 PM.
ksupkt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #66
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Cheap and expensive is relative. Compared to the C6 ZR1, the C7 Z06 is cheap.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #67
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Some interesting points here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-stakes-high/

2015 Corvette Z06: Price Is Low, Weight Is Up, Stakes Is High
By Jack Baruth on August 23, 2014

We now know what the Corvette Z06 is going to cost, and what it’s going to weigh, and both numbers are surprising.

First number: $78,995. That gets you the Z06. If you want the track-focused stuff, you want a Z07. That’s carbon ceramic brakes, higher downforce bodykit, and MPSCs. Think of it as the Z28 for the Z06. There’s also an aero package that is more aggressive than the base Z06 but less so than the Z07.

Second number: 3,524 pounds. This is over two hundred pounds heavier than the Z51, and apparently it’s all go-faster stuff like wider tires and the supercharger itself. It’s even 100-plus above the C6 ZR1. Compared to the peerless C6 Z06, it’s about four hundred up. That C6 Z06 was so special. It weighed slightly less than a base manual-transmission 4+3 1984 Corvette while bringing 2.5x as much power to the table.

As we all know by now, there are going to be convertible Z06es and automatic-transmission Z06es and, unless G-d himself intervenes directly in a consummation of Divine fury and dealer inventory devoutly to be wished, probably some convertible automatic Z06es. Just don’t look straight at them, they can turn your heart to stone.

At the price, the Z06 in any form is a remarkable deal. It’s “more car” than the old ZR1 and it costs much less. But it’s also “more car” than the old Z06 in a couple of ways I don’t like. We’ll see how it behaves out in the real world… but for those of us who love Corvettes and racetracks and the combination of both, (raises hand) the best news might be the downward price pressure this will put on the high-power C6es. This might be the year to pick up that blue Z07 C6 Carbon, y’know.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #68
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Yup, you nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Some interesting points here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-stakes-high/

2015 Corvette Z06: Price Is Low, Weight Is Up, Stakes Is High
By Jack Baruth on August 23, 2014

We now know what the Corvette Z06 is going to cost, and what it’s going to weigh, and both numbers are surprising.

First number: $78,995. That gets you the Z06. If you want the track-focused stuff, you want a Z07. That’s carbon ceramic brakes, higher downforce bodykit, and MPSCs. Think of it as the Z28 for the Z06. There’s also an aero package that is more aggressive than the base Z06 but less so than the Z07.

Second number: 3,524 pounds. This is over two hundred pounds heavier than the Z51, and apparently it’s all go-faster stuff like wider tires and the supercharger itself. It’s even 100-plus above the C6 ZR1. Compared to the peerless C6 Z06, it’s about four hundred up. That C6 Z06 was so special. It weighed slightly less than a base manual-transmission 4+3 1984 Corvette while bringing 2.5x as much power to the table.

As we all know by now, there are going to be convertible Z06es and automatic-transmission Z06es and, unless G-d himself intervenes directly in a consummation of Divine fury and dealer inventory devoutly to be wished, probably some convertible automatic Z06es. Just don’t look straight at them, they can turn your heart to stone.

At the price, the Z06 in any form is a remarkable deal. It’s “more car” than the old ZR1 and it costs much less. But it’s also “more car” than the old Z06 in a couple of ways I don’t like. We’ll see how it behaves out in the real world… but for those of us who love Corvettes and racetracks and the combination of both, (raises hand) the best news might be the downward price pressure this will put on the high-power C6es. This might be the year to pick up that blue Z07 C6 Carbon, y’know.
You saw what I did, huh? : $61,500!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...arbon-3lz.html
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #69
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
First of all I was kidding.

Second of all have you driven the C7 ZO6? How do you know it's faster, lighter, and better handling? Assumptions? I'm not a fool. Don't ever think that.
You are absolutely right that nobody on here has driven the Z06 to see how it performs. But, what I can tell you is a couple new C7 Vettes have showed up at some of our latest AutoX and they are very quick and nimble. One of our C6 Z06 owners got to take it out for a rip around the circuit right after running his Z06 and what I can tell you is within days of that drive he sold his Z06 and put a deposit on a new one.

They handle superbly and according to him it was effortless. I truly believe GM is going to have a knockout on their hands and filling demand will be the biggest issue. I'm just glad we get to debate these cars. Z06, HellCat, GT500 and ZL1 along with Z/28, it's a great time to be a car guy or gal.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #70
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
I'll second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
You are absolutely right that nobody on here has driven the Z06 to see how it performs. But, what I can tell you is a couple new C7 Vettes have showed up at some of our latest AutoX and they are very quick and nimble. One of our C6 Z06 owners got to take it out for a rip around the circuit right after running his Z06 and what I can tell you is within days of that drive he sold his Z06 and put a deposit on a new one.

They handle superbly and according to him it was effortless. I truly believe GM is going to have a knockout on their hands and filling demand will be the biggest issue. I'm just glad we get to debate these cars. Z06, HellCat, GT500 and ZL1 along with Z/28, it's a great time to be a car guy or gal.
What Todd said!
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote