Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #57
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo_ashang View Post
so is a 20 x 8.5, 5x120 with a 43mm offset fit on my 2010 camaro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo_ashang View Post
also can I re use my stock pirelli tires at least the fronts?
Since you have an SS....there is one thing you MUST verify as for as the fit.....and that is that the brakes clear with no interferance. Just looking at the number, they should be fine, even the front tires will work. but before you buy them, I would have whom ever you are buying them from, GARRENTEE that the wheels fit over the brake and will work on a Camaro....THAT will be the deciding factor where they will work or not.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #58
jambo_ashang
"FLY NAVY"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Since you have an SS....there is one thing you MUST verify as for as the fit.....and that is that the brakes clear with no interferance. Just looking at the number, they should be fine, even the front tires will work. but before you buy them, I would have whom ever you are buying them from, GARRENTEE that the wheels fit over the brake and will work on a Camaro....THAT will be the deciding factor where they will work or not.
he use to have the rims on a Pontiac G8.... but the max offset for the camaro's is 40mm and the rims having 43mm do you think i should use a 1/4 inch wheel gasket? or a spacer perhaps? again can I use my stock tires at least the fronts?
jambo_ashang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #59
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Sir Nuke,

A new set of wheels and tires are on the Christmas wishlist. I would like the TSW Croft wheels but want to make sure the fit will be ok. Here are the specs:

Offset: +45mm for the 9.5" wheel and +35 for the 8" wheel (based on what I read, both will tuck into the vehicle)
Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Front: 18x8
Rear: 18x9.5

So, will a 45mm offset clear the brake calipers for my V6?
I read here too that 9.5" wide wheels will be ok for the rears, but what size tires should I use? I am thinking 275 or 285. Trouble is, I'm having a tough time finding 275/50/R18 tires as recommended by the other thread sticky. I can find lower aspect ratio 275's all day but no 50s. Also, what is the stock offset for the factory 19's so I can use that as a reference point?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Last edited by BlueSteele; 11-17-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: more info on wheels
BlueSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #60
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteele View Post
Sir Nuke,

A new set of wheels and tires are on the Christmas wishlist. I would like the TSW Croft wheels but want to make sure the fit will be ok. Here are the specs:

Offset: +45mm for the 9.5" wheel and +35 for the 8" wheel (based on what I read, both will tuck into the vehicle)
Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Front: 18x8
Rear: 18x9.5

So, will a 45mm offset clear the brake calipers for my V6?
I read here too that 9.5" wide wheels will be ok for the rears, but what size tires should I use? I am thinking 275 or 285. Trouble is, I'm having a tough time finding 275/50/R18 tires as recommended by the other thread sticky. I can find lower aspect ratio 275's all day but no 50s. Also, what is the stock offset for the factory 19's so I can use that as a reference point?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Hello BlueSteele
As far as clearing the brakes, you SHOULD be ok. BUT TO BE SURE, you NEED to take to a TSW dealer. I went to their website....but they don't list that wheel in their Wheel Calculator for the Camaro, but that truely don't mean it won't, its just not listed.

as far as the 9.5" being ok, they are fine, some of the guys here have gone as wide as 11 with the right offset.

if you are going to stick with 18's.....and are wanting to go with a STAGERED wheel/tire set up.....a 275/50 is as close to the stock diameter as you will find.....if you go with 285's.....you will be either too tall with a 50 (2.1%) , or too short with a 45 (1.8%).

The STOCK 19" wheel offset is +38mm....but remember, those are 8" wide.

Why don't you go with the same size wheels/tires on all four corners?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #61
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Hello BlueSteele
As far as clearing the brakes, you SHOULD be ok. BUT TO BE SURE, you NEED to take to a TSW dealer. I went to their website....but they don't list that wheel in their Wheel Calculator for the Camaro, but that truely don't mean it won't, its just not listed.

as far as the 9.5" being ok, they are fine, some of the guys here have gone as wide as 11 with the right offset.

if you are going to stick with 18's.....and are wanting to go with a STAGERED wheel/tire set up.....a 275/50 is as close to the stock diameter as you will find.....if you go with 285's.....you will be either too tall with a 50 (2.1%) , or too short with a 45 (1.8%).

The STOCK 19" wheel offset is +38mm....but remember, those are 8" wide.

Why don't you go with the same size wheels/tires on all four corners?
Thanks for the answers. I remember looking through a wheel thread and PMing someone who had these exact wheels but they never replied. I want the staggered look for the aggressive stance like I've seen on other Camaros.

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #62
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Joe I just stumbled on to this thread. I have been looking for this info for a long time. I wish you were a mind reader so when we talked you could have told me about this. LOL. Great Work my Friend!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #63
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm new to the site. Just found this thread.

NineBall must really think I'm a moron at how many times I've asked him this.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #64
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Randy.....sorry Bro..... I thought you knew??? man I should have PMed you when you were having all your wheel troubles........

:{D
Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #65
Ezzy

Drives: 2LT
Thanks Nuke. This has helped clarify things
Ezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #66
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

your more than welcome Ezzy.....thats why were are here, to help one another! :{D
Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #67
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Randy.....sorry Bro..... I thought you knew??? man I should have PMed you when you were having all your wheel troubles........

:{D
Nah. I had NineBall doing my offsets. I have absolute 100% confidence in him.

But I was asking him about offsets recently and then I found this thread.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #68
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Great info! Thanks!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #69
JimpalaSS
GNRA105

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to JimpalaSS
ZL1 wheels

I haven't seen this question on this thread, and I haven't looked at the ZL1 threads. Would anyone know if the ZL1 rims/wheels fit my stock '10 SS?
JimpalaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #70
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Just adding a couple things to this sticky worthy thread:

1- OEM wheels will always give the size and offset on the back of the wheel. If its a cast wheel it will be molded into the back of the spoke. Otherwise it will be imprinted on the barrel of the rim. It will say something like: 18x9J 50. Or. 18x9J +50mm. Or 18x9J ET50. Many aftermkt wheels will have the same.
2-it should be noted that the thickness of the rim flange is not overly consistent from wheel to wheel. It can be thin as 11mm or thicker like 14-15mm. What I'm getting at is backspacing is not an automatic way to get offset if you assume the flange is 1/2" on each side of the wheel.
3. As discussed above, there is no standard or measurement given for caliper clearance... and there is no correlation at all between it and offset.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote