Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
how much was the bottle of GM Friction fluid?
It's a 4oz bottle, but my dealer says that's the old way. Now they have a new GM fluid with the modifier in it. They wouldn't tell me it's myster name> it's GM rear end gear oil.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #44
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Just wanted to report that I finally got the diff. fluid changed. I wasn't there when they did it, but they guy who did the work told me the magnet was fuzzy with metal shavings. Glad to have that out.

I paid $30 for two quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear and $21 for the labor.

Last edited by John VS; 04-25-2010 at 10:29 PM.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #45
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
The SS LS3/L99 is 8.2 QT...$85 at any shop if you don't do the oil change yourself... 5 oil changes as well.
It's $70 at my dealership.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #46
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
I have an SS L99 A6.

I went to the local autoparts store to look for my mobil 1 75w-90w gear oil for my differential. Well I didn't find the exact gear oil but I can across royal purple. I remembered someone mentioned it here on camaro5.

What are you guy/gals using for your differential lube? Give me you opinions and why? What am I looking for on the bottle?

Same for the motor oil. I went to get my 8 quarts of 5w30 and got confused. If I get mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 am I covered or am I supposed to look for something else on the bottle??
Mobil 1 Engine......Mobil 1 Synthetic Tranny...... Royal Purple Diff....
Since I did the tranny and Diff I've documented an increase in my Mileage. Prior to tranny and diff I was getting avg of 17.5/17.7.

Last 4 tanks have been:
(18.4/18.7) Tranny fluid change
(20.44/19.4) Diff Fluid change

Based upon my records it is helping out too!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #47
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
I changed the engine oil to Mobil One at around 2700 miles (now at 6900). Dealership charged me $80 which seemed high given that 5qts of Mobil One are only $24 at Wal Mart.

Anyway, I've been talking to my mechanic friend about getting the differential oil changed. He recommended some BMW M3 gear oil that he said is top of the line stuff. Unfortunately he was out of it this week. Talked to him about Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil. He liked Amsoil, but doesn't stock it. Can't find anyone else in town who does. He hesitated on the other two only because they would be obvious if the dealer ever drained the diff. and I'm not sure either one is approved for a car under warranty. Not that it should really matter, but I don't care enough about either product to even want to argue about it down the line. Anyone know?

Talked to a guy at my local auto shop today and he pointed out that Royal Purple does not advertise itself as "full synthetic" unlike Mobil 1 and Redline. Apparently, this indicates that RP is a blend of synthetic and non-synthetic. Given that's it's also the most pricey, I'm probably not going with that.

What my guy does have in stock is Total brand 75w90 which is made by Elf. I've not heard much about it but at the moment it's looking like that's what I'll be getting sometime tomorrow.
Curious about the M3 gear oil

Edit- ran over to the Bimmer forums and its tha same as over here... RP or Redline

They seem kinda racist with Mobil

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #48
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Mobil 1 Engine......Mobil 1 Synthetic Tranny...... Royal Purple Diff....
Since I did the tranny and Diff I've documented an increase in my Mileage. Prior to tranny and diff I was getting avg of 17.5/17.7.

Last 4 tanks have been:
(18.4/18.7) Tranny fluid change
(20.44/19.4) Diff Fluid change

Based upon my records it is helping out too!!!
I can echo that with mine although I went with RP for everything; engine, trans and diff. Does your car seem to coast easier and farther now? I noticed it when I put it in neutral especially the car just seems to glide along easier.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #49
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I can echo that with mine although I went with RP for everything; engine, trans and diff. Does your car seem to coast easier and farther now? I noticed it when I put it in neutral especially the car just seems to glide along easier.
Surprising you ask that. Yes, Yes it does. I even was "boasting" about that to my friend who has an EVO. I can usually gain several MPH increase on mild grade hills just by coasting in neutral. On a flat strech I can coast with a drop in mph of around 1 mph per 1/4 to 1/3 mile or so. (guess here but fairly close).
Old 05-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #50
FastOil

Drives: none
All you guys need to be carefull with royal purple, on turbocharged cars we hate it, RP brakes down way to quick their fluids for some reason are very well marketed and advertised for the honda civic rice burners.
But its not giving your engine and drivetrain the best of whats needed, i preffer to put autozone brand oil before i use that brand,,,

you want an oil that will hold up to heat and high torque applications, specially if you are running any type of boost from a turbo or supercharger, compressed air puts extra heat in the motor , dont give your engine the least of the good as far as its blood goes.

Enough of talking, now lets talk about real data what matters, there is plenty ASTM, and many other test that goes into oils out there and i say AMSOIL hands down has done very welll stacked up to other brands, i have a few Evo's that are pushing 30 lbs turbocharged at around 500AWHP and i tell you what nothing else cooks an oil than high boos and high horse power.

here are some links that might help you guys with educating on what oil is best for your 30K plus machine.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

This link has it all in it, NOAK testing, Four ball wear test, ect... you guys can pm me if you have specific questions on what fluid should your, tranny, brakes, motor and diff. http://www.amsoil.com/comparison/motor-oil.aspx
FastOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #51
FastOil

Yes and i have respect for these Evo's they are stupid fun to drive and they are beastie when moded, they have an incredible stout bottom end, they have the 4G63 with a cast iron bottom end that can handle stupid amount of boost,,,, well i dont want to take this off topic but the point is good oil is being used by good well known shop all over the nation, cars that are being put through their paces.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOil View Post
All you guys need to be carefull with royal purple, on turbocharged cars we hate it, RP brakes down way to quick their fluids for some reason are very well marketed and advertised for the honda civic rice burners.
But its not giving your engine and drivetrain the best of whats needed, i preffer to put autozone brand oil before i use that brand,,,

you want an oil that will hold up to heat and high torque applications, specially if you are running any type of boost from a turbo or supercharger, compressed air puts extra heat in the motor , dont give your engine the least of the good as far as its blood goes.

Enough of talking, now lets talk about real data what matters, there is plenty ASTM, and many other test that goes into oils out there and i say AMSOIL hands down has done very welll stacked up to other brands, i have a few Evo's that are pushing 30 lbs turbocharged at around 500AWHP and i tell you what nothing else cooks an oil than high boos and high horse power.

here are some links that might help you guys with educating on what oil is best for your 30K plus machine.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

This link has it all in it, NOAK testing, Four ball wear test, ect... you guys can pm me if you have specific questions on what fluid should your, tranny, brakes, motor and diff. http://www.amsoil.com/comparison/motor-oil.aspx
It's ALWAYS an Amsoil advocate that "warns" against RP, ALWAYS. And they always link to an Amsoil page as "proof". Mazda racing teams use RP with no problems. I've used it for years with great results. I'm sure Amsoil is a fine product. I will continue to use RP because my experience with it has been nothing but good, and I've heard nothing but good from others who use it. It's only Amsoil advocates who seem to have a problem with it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #53
FastOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
It's ALWAYS an Amsoil advocate that "warns" against RP, ALWAYS. And they always link to an Amsoil page as "proof". Mazda racing teams use RP with no problems. I've used it for years with great results. I'm sure Amsoil is a fine product. I will continue to use RP because my experience with it has been nothing but good, and I've heard nothing but good from others who use it. It's only Amsoil advocates who seem to have a problem with it.

its always the one person who has educated themselves and that has seen many oil analysis lab reports, and has seen what RP can do and what does not do,,,

have you ever seen a report on RP after 1000 miles,, once you do come back and report to this community with the suprise you will have for yourself.

there are plenty good synthetic fluids out there but thats not one of them.

ima not trying to tell you what you need to use but it is what it is and the data has proven it, and then when you open an engine up you realize that what the data was saying about the oil was true