The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #43
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I made the choice in November 2019 for the following reasons:

1) low end torque. I shouldn’t have to rev up an American v8 to get torque out of it. The torque needs to be instant.
2) the LT1 imho sounds significantly better than the coyote.
3) The 1ss offered more than the base GT (was looking at premium gt’s or 1/2ss’s). The cloth seats in the Mustang are ugly and not as comfy as the Camaro. The Camaro cloth seats look awesome. You get an awesome digital/analog hybrid dash on the Camaro. You get a way bigger screen on a 1ss than you do on a base GT and it comes standard with Apple CarPlay.
4) the Camaro handles better.
5) Camaro has all the necessary coolers for track days.

I am a performance guy so performance was the most important reason. I’m also done with modding cars and the Camaro has the performance I wanted out of the box. My only issue with the Camaro is the stock wheels aren’t that good looking imho. I think the car looks a little better than the Mustang. Interior is about the same to me except I love the Camaro’s dash more (the one that’s stock on the SS) over both Mustang dash options.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #44
len_eng

Drives: 2024 Radiant Red 2SS, 1994 Z28,
My first car was the FOX body Mercury Capri followed by an 82 Mustang 5.0. Pieces just fell off as soon as the warranty expired. Vehicle would die at the worst time (on dates etc) Ended up having to service the vehicle every month for some component issue. Traded my 82 Mustang in on an 87 Trans Am and you could not kill the Pontiac. Sold it and bought a 94 Z28 (still own and drive it), When they killed Pontiac, I bought a 13 Camaro. Styling is great Handling is awesome and they do not just drop dead in the middle of the road. My 2021 is my fourth Camaro since the 2013. I have put at least 77,000 on each one I have owned since the 2013 prior to selling them
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #45
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I ll add that the Mustang's electric steering rack had a pronounced dead spot in it if you sawed the wheel back and forth but was "fine" on the street, as it were. Too, I had no problems with the MT82 though it was fussy and I've had way worse manuals before.
lastly, yeah you need the RPM on the Coyote but it can walk on a Camaro on the top end given enough distance, 1/4 mile+

The camaro, of the two, was the only one that my garage door handheld remote goes flying off the console due to all the low end torque
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #46
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Why not a Mustang with No Brand Loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
***Disclaimer***
I posted this exact topic at the mustang6g forum, but as "Why DIDN'T you buy a Camaro?" in order to see why those shopping both decided on the Mustang GT over say a 2SS Camaro A10. They have been respectful, and know this thread has been posted here. Follow the link to see this thread on their forum.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...camaro.152389/

As for this thread here, what lead you to buy the Camaro over the mustang? Im basically torn. And I flip flop daily as to which one I want. The Mustang GT seems like its updates since 2018 have taken it into the same class as the Camaro 2SS in just about all categories. If I was looking at a 2017 or older Mustang GT, I would pick the Camaro 10/10 times. But now that you can get active exhaust (which sounds amazing), mag ride, the A10 and that sick digital dash, the mustang looks like a bargin also considering they are generally cheaper with rebates and incentives.

So if you shopped the Mustang GT vs your Camaro, why did you take the camaro in the end. As I said on the thread at the mustang6G site, please no flame wars. Dont go over there and start trolling or starting anything.
As stated, I have no brand loyalty. When I was 15, in 1976, I purchased a 1970 Challenger R/T 440 Magnum. I also drove Fox Body Mustangs with 5.0s and 5 speeds or 17 years. When I came to this decision, I eliminated 5 cars and was left with the 2018 SS 1LE. I'm not saying these are great reasons and I think I would be happy for either car. As follows; (1) Ford uses the Getrag MT82/4 and Chevy uses the Tremec 6060, (2) More torque in the LT1 than the Coyote (thought this would be more enjoyabe on the street), (3) I've never even seen a performance pack 2 in person and felt that the 1LE package would serve me better (I know this is subjective), (4) if considering the PP2 Mustang, I felt I could get a better deal on the 1LE so there was a performance per dollar factor for me as well. As I said, I think either car could make me happy. It was a close call.
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #47
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
***Disclaimer***
I posted this exact topic at the mustang6g forum, but as "Why DIDN'T you buy a Camaro?" in order to see why those shopping both decided on the Mustang GT over say a 2SS Camaro A10. They have been respectful, and know this thread has been posted here. Follow the link to see this thread on their forum.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...camaro.152389/

As for this thread here, what lead you to buy the Camaro over the mustang? Im basically torn. And I flip flop daily as to which one I want. The Mustang GT seems like its updates since 2018 have taken it into the same class as the Camaro 2SS in just about all categories. If I was looking at a 2017 or older Mustang GT, I would pick the Camaro 10/10 times. But now that you can get active exhaust (which sounds amazing), mag ride, the A10 and that sick digital dash, the mustang looks like a bargin also considering they are generally cheaper with rebates and incentives.

So if you shopped the Mustang GT vs your Camaro, why did you take the camaro in the end. As I said on the thread at the mustang6G site, please no flame wars. Dont go over there and start trolling or starting anything.
In 1998 I bought a 4gen Camaro, and loved it. Car never seen in Spain, and for a guy in his 20s was the perfect car for flirt... lot of girls forget their panties inside

For 2018, wanted to trade my BMW for a new car, and because all the industry was talking about the downsizing I decided to go for a V8, American, big engine displacement, who would be used as daily or track tool. Challenger discarded, the only options were a EU Mustang or a Camaro (imported, Chevy is no longer in EU).

What tilted the scales? Apart I prefer Camaro´s looking, here in Spain you kick a parking lot and 3 or 4 Mustangs will come out, because is the sport selling car here (quite 80% as Ecoboost, but Mustangs).

So yes, wanted a V8 and I don't like to own the same as majority do, easy decision...

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #48
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Back in the day I had a 2004 Mustang Gt, and just before that a 1998 Z28. Those cars weren't even in the same league back then lol. As far as my daily drivers now I've had a 2016 Mustang V6 and now my 2018 Camaro V6. I like 18 V6 more for sure, but it was also 5k more as well, and to be honest I thought the Mustang was a better buy.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #49
Ademarco

Drives: 18 Ford Raptor, 21 2SS 1LE M6
I was cross shopping a GT350 or Mach 1, but then watching YouTube videos of pro drivers and normal people driving it convinced me I needed an SS 1LE. The only Chevy product I’ve had were 2 Chevy volts and they were built like tanks. I’ve even hit a curb, flew a few feet, landed and kept driving. They required no maintenance and had instant torque like a go kart. Also able to charge it at my house. my buddy has had plenty of C6 and C7s and I’ve always been impressed with what Chevy has done with those platforms and the cold starts are intoxicating, especially in parking garages.

I wanted to get something with “4” seats as I still have kiddos, but also something lower to the ground than my Raptor. Both manufacturers probably have their issues, but the Ford Raptor purchase allowed me to go to their performance school in Utah to beat on Fords platform and understand its capabilities which is quite impressive. I wish Chevy had something similar for Camaro 1LE purchases, but it seems only Corvette owners get that opportunity.

I got the car last night and went driving 100 miles just to try and drive cycle the emissions system for smog. The car seems to be built like a tank as well since I didn’t hear any rattles and the spectrum lighting is a unique touch. I just wish the center console was laid out differently. I am thankful that in today’s emissions regulated world that the manufacturers keep pushing the envelope on performance. Even though you can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds in an electric car, the sound is missing. I loved the torque of electric cars, but the sound from the cars exhaust just wants me to keep mashing the go pedal. Have fun and happy holidays everyone!
Ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #50
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
One word... interior. I drove them both on the same day within an hour of each other. I couldn't get past the Focus interior in the Mustang.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #51
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
One word... interior. I drove them both on the same day within an hour of each other. I couldn't get past the Focus interior in the Mustang.
I looked at Mustangs, considered them at one point before the 6th gen came out. I also owned a couple C6's and the interior on the 6th gen is what pushed me over the edge. I cross shopped with BMW 3 series mostly and actually switched from a 2007 328i convertible - was looking at M3 and 335is from the same generation and found the new 6th gen platform and then adding in the incredible chassis and drivetrain there wasn't much of a decision to be had.
Mustang NEVER factored into that equation for me.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #52
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I was really choosing between a used Mustang GT 2015 newer or 2016 newer Camaro. I owned a 2012 5.0

One big reason was because a few months ago there was not a lot of GTs used for the price I wanted. I did almost bite on a very low miles California Special Mustang, 2016 that was cheaper than my Camaro.

But the SS I saw was VERY low miles and a great price. Also, like the torque the SS has.

I know I could have saved money, bought a GT and a couple minor mods it would be as fast as an SS but I wanted something different this time around.

The Coyote and the 6.2 engines are outstanding and give amazing performance.

Either car you can't go wrong with. I wish Chevy would offer more affordable LT1 and SS options though like Ford does with the Mustang. I think Camaro would have better sales figures and wouldn't be at risk of getting the axe.

God forbid if something happened to my SS I would likely get another SS or a Scat Pack Challenger, whichever is the better deal.

What I like about Mustangs is there are so many performance mods and options for the car.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #53
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I've driven several mustangs, the latest being a GT convertible rental that I had for almost a week. I really liked the car but I didn't love it enough to buy one. I'm also not a fan boy of either; I don't necessarily like Ford or Chevy, for that matter.

Reasons I didn't/won't buy one:

-Body roll is bad IMO for a "sports/muscle" car. The handling is just not where it needs to be. The Camaro has much more of a track-ready feel.

-Mustangs are everywhere

-The interior styling is not the best

- 5.0 is underwhelming..in power delivery, sound, etc...especially in comparison to the 62. It is much too civilized for me.

The one reason I would argue in favor of the Mustang is it's practicality. Is it a Town & Country? No, but for the class that it IS, it is fairly practical. If you are talking in terms of the ease of driving, good visibility, storage, mild mannered, etc...the Mustang has the edge over the Camaro. For some, I believe that is enough for Ford to take the sale over Chevy.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #54
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
When I'm in a Mustang, I feel like I'm in a Camry or Focus with a V8 with the seating position and it just feel like a normal car with a V8... "jack of all trades master of none." When I'm in the Camaro, it feels special, like you're in a cockpit. It sits low and precise handling makes it feel special. It was built for a purpose, performance, not compromised by fish bowl visibility or being economical... Best at doing what it was supposed to do (and affordable) and that's what I wanted. Power curve is awesome too!!! Don't have to rev the piss out of it to get to the power.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #55
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Owned a 2014 GT track pack and a 2015 GT performance pack, both manuals.
Terrible transmission, non stop squeaking rear brakes, squeaking dash, no bottom end torque for daily driving, hated the exhaust sound with headers, and handling didn't compare to Camaro IMO. One test drive in a 2017 Camaro SS manual and I was sold. I had a Palm Beach tune, longtubes with cats, and JLT CAI on my 2015 GT.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #56
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Because back in 2017 the Camaro was a better track car
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote