Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #43
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Some call that "trailer hitching" because it feels like your pulling a trailer downhill and it's pushing back. Try Googling that and put HPTuners in the search too
Yea, maybe too much advance in that cell.
You can search for fish-biting as another term used to refer to the combustion instability that you're feeling.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #44
Randy V.B.

Drives: 2015 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I'm really surprised that a major vendor/tuner here said the TSP stage 2 is "too big to tune properly". If nobody could tune it, I really doubt they would sell many.

I have the stage 3, so even bigger, and while it did take a couple stabs, my tuner got it sorted out quite a bit. Went from an aggravating amount of bucking in the 1800-2200 range, to just a little bit of surge from the cam profile in a narrow range. I still think there is a bit we can tweak still too.

BUT, this was also having the tuner in the car collecting live data as we drove, and making changes when I stopped once in a while. I'm sure this would be a lot harder with a remote tune...but I would not take the word of anyone telling you that's just too wild of a cam to tame as 100% fact.

Yes for sure it would be much easier being there for to tune real time. I also didn’t think this was going to be a very big deal for any of the known tuners to work out butttttt lol. Allot of the higher hp cars/trucks around here go with the Holley stand alone system and know how to tune them well. But I don’t want to go the route. I think I’ll look around a bit for another remote tune or just by the HP tuning for myself. There is nothing I can do with the sct tuner myself so it’s kind of a paper weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 camaro 2ss rs 1le. jannetty blower cam,jannetty fuel controler, jannetty tune, 1050 id injectors, Kooks long tube's with zl1 corsa extreme exhaust. lsa conversion 14 lbs boost. roto fab intake. afco intercooler, Mcleod rst. hotchkis lowering springs.z28 rims, copo hood

Randy V.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #45
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Just out of curiosity as I am learning myself but what is physically happening in this situation. Is the engine rpm out of sync with the drive train from the bigger cam in that rpm/gear range?
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #46
Randy V.B.

It’s like explained above and somewhat like you ask. The rpm is not staying matched with the gear ratio and causes a bucking nudging.

2015 camaro 2ss rs 1le. jannetty blower cam,jannetty fuel controler, jannetty tune, 1050 id injectors, Kooks long tube's with zl1 corsa extreme exhaust. lsa conversion 14 lbs boost. roto fab intake. afco intercooler, Mcleod rst. hotchkis lowering springs.z28 rims, copo hood

Old 07-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #47
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Just out of curiosity as I am learning myself but what is physically happening in this situation. Is the engine rpm out of sync with the drive train from the bigger cam in that rpm/gear range?
The engine power is being switched off and on with factory settings to save mpg when coasting. To save that 1mpg but he has a bigger cam so it bucks even harder with that manual transmission as it's switched off on off on. It could be something else but that's my theory, and how to easiest get rid of the problem.

Or as again mentioned above, insufficient fuel and proper spark timing instead of intentional algorithm decel fuel cutoff causing the fuel not to be ignited sufficiently at the correct time. We talked about how to correct that too.

Last edited by silversleeper; 07-13-2020 at 07:27 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #48
Randy V.B.

I’m actually really surprised that none of the guys that actually sell tunes have not chimed in on this.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #49
Randy V.B.

Well I guess I give up, Ted informed me that he is the professional and the cam is too big to be tuned and the public knows nothing. I’m so sick that I spent 1200bucks for a tune that bucks like crazy. I in now way can spend any more money on a tune threw someone else and still end up the same. I appreciate all the help on here from all the friendly folk. When I get the money I’ll have to get a tuner and try myself with the help from you all

Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #50
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
That's really weird. That cam is really not that big compared to like GPI cams. I think TSP's Stage 2 cam is like GPI's SS1 cam...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #51
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
He said a TSP stage 2 is too big to tune? What da fuq?
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #52
Randy V.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 View Post
He said a TSP stage 2 is too big to tune? What da fuq?

That was my thoughts also. I’m so pissed.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #53
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy V.B. View Post
That was my thoughts also. I’m so pissed.
Dang man - I'm so sorry you're still having such a bad time with this thing. It's really not that big of a cam. 12.5* of overlap can't be hidden completely, but it should drive very reasonably with proper tuning. I wish you had HPT because I'd really love to take a look and see what's going on.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #54
Randy V.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Dang man - I'm so sorry you're still having such a bad time with this thing. It's really not that big of a cam. 12.5* of overlap can't be hidden completely, but it should drive very reasonably with proper tuning. I wish you had HPT because I'd really love to take a look and see what's going on.

Thanks I really appreciate that. I might look for some used hpt stuff to buy or might end up buying new. My trip here is winding down so I’ll be home in a couple days so I’ll do some looking then. I still got the 79 Lincoln to drive so I’m still all good lolol