Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #43
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
For those that are wondering about installing this at a later date.

It should be a fairly easy and straightfoward install. This video shows how to remove that panel.

https://youtu.be/t7Rardz_m8Q?t=1m49s

Basically:
- snap off small panel at bottom of radio
- remove 2 screws holding radio in
- remove radio
- remove 1 screw holding dash panel on
- pop off dash panel.

Perhaps a 5-minute job? Including time taken to go to the fridge for a cold beer after the hard task of "removing 2 screws"! hahaha

Of course, this depends upon that panel being offered as a replacement part.

Also, you could always DIY a CF-looking dash. 3M makes a great DiNOC carbon fiber vinyl. It even has the correct texture for CF. Check out this portion of the video for how to remove the stock leather:

https://youtu.be/t7Rardz_m8Q?t=10m38s

Here's what that vinyl looks like installed on my G8. I did the thin dash panels and the steering wheel. I hated the cheap-looking grey plastic (which, on the steering wheel, would always rub off). It's lasted over 5 years now, and still looks new.

00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #44
FLYNNZL1
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via AIM to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Great information, thank you
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #45
wanab

Drives: 17 ZL1 4300 03/16/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
I want the carbon dash as well - My dealer has indicated that it will be available sometime in February - So possibly in time for the Feb 9 - cycle.
Momma never said this was gonna be easy! My dealer insists he will have the allocation for me but I want to get my hands on a ZL1 and don't want to wait and end up holding an empty bag. No benefit to ordering before Feb 9th that I can see so maybe something on the CF dash will shake loose before then.
wanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #46
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
Momma never said this was gonna be easy! My dealer insists he will have the allocation for me but I want to get my hands on a ZL1 and don't want to wait and end up holding an empty bag. No benefit to ordering before Feb 9th that I can see so maybe something on the CF dash will shake loose before then.
My dealer hasn't guaranteed anything as it relates to the carbon dash being available - he has only implied that he feels it will be available in February. As far as advantages to order now as opposed to waiting for Feb 9, It would only be if you want to ensure you are one of the first owners. Eventually there will be plenty of availability for everyone that wants one. I personally wanted to be an early owner and drive it now. I have waited far too long in the past for allocation on vehicles that never came to fruition.
GTgamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #47
FLYNNZL1
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via AIM to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Get the Camaro now, but the CF Dash insert later from dealer at wholesale, install yourself, win win
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
wanab

Drives: 17 ZL1 4300 03/16/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnaz View Post
Get the Camaro now, but the CF Dash insert later from dealer at wholesale, install yourself, win win
I will have them order no later than Feb 9. If 3DL is on the constraint list it comes off the order and the order goes in without 3DL. Then I really find out if the dealer has an A10 allocation. Fingers crossed!
wanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #49
RicknCheryl

Drives: 1990 IROC-Z, 2017 ZL1
Moving Forward!

Great news this morning -- GM has accepted my order! Didn't want to risk losing use of the A10 allocation on the hope that they MIGHT solve the 3DL carbon fiber instrument panel issue this model year. Now waiting for assignment of TPW!

RicknCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #50
GarnetRedJuan

Drives: 2017 garnet red zl1 2022 AT4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknCheryl View Post
Great news this morning -- GM has accepted my order! Didn't want to risk losing use of the A10 allocation on the hope that they MIGHT solve the 3DL carbon fiber instrument panel issue this model year. Now waiting for assignment of TPW!

Nice!! So great news for me this morning as well... My garnet red zl1 A10 went 3000 unexpectedly. My sales rep sent me and email confirmation with a snapshot this morning!! this all came about after I told her i wanted the carbon fiber dash off and was expecting to get picked up february anyways.

also as an FYI, the carbon dash is no longer even an option on the build sheet. don't hold out for it guys.
GarnetRedJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #51
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
thanks awesome GarnetredJuan. when did you place your order?
mine is still at 1100
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #52
GarnetRedJuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
thanks awesome GarnetredJuan. when did you place your order?
mine is still at 1100
I placed my order November 19th. Ive been waiting for a while now. If it means anything, the worksheet I got says 3000 status and Priority:2. Not sure if the priority number is actually anything
Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #53
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetRedJuan View Post
Nice!! So great news for me this morning as well... My garnet red zl1 A10 went 3000 unexpectedly. My sales rep sent me and email confirmation with a snapshot this morning!! this all came about after I told her i wanted the carbon fiber dash off and was expecting to get picked up february anyways.

also as an FYI, the carbon dash is no longer even an option on the build sheet. don't hold out for it guys.

I did a check today and saw no Garnet Red nationwide at 3000 - I wonder what sort of protocol is being used to determine this information.
GTgamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #54
GarnetRedJuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
I did a check today and saw no Garnet Red nationwide at 3000 - I wonder what sort of protocol is being used to determine this information.
Who knows. I have a workbench print out with my personal information, order number, options and 3000 status. I can share it here. It's exciting to know I might be one of the only garnet red A10 cars around for a while