Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #43
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Mine are coated, but sonax just dropped this product that looks interesting. Sonax make professional grade products.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-rim-shield.html
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #44
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Anyone ever try Collinite Metal Wax on them? I got almost a full bottle of that in my garage I think I only used one time on my last car on the exhaust tips. This would be for the bright silver split spokes.

I have a bunch of stuff in the garage, just don't know what to use. I have a little bit of Hydro2 left but it may not be enough for all four wheels.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #45
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I like hydro2 as its a silica base like their cquartz product, and the ease of application cant be beat. The new sonax product is a polymer, silica is a harder shield. But i like sonax and will prob pick some up on my next autogeek load and do two wheels with it and two with hydro, for an A-B test.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #46
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I ordered and used Hydro2 for the first time ever last night on my powder-coated gloss black wheels. I've read all of the positive reviews, but I was still amazed at the results. It's so easy to use and the results speak for themselves. Now I need some break dust so I can see if just hosing them off gets the job done.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #47
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I ordered and used Hydro2 for the first time ever last night on my powder-coated gloss black wheels. I've read all of the positive reviews, but I was still amazed at the results. It's so easy to use and the results speak for themselves. Now I need some break dust so I can see if just hosing them off gets the job done.
You will still need to wipe, it's not magic, but the wiping is easy, no scrub
Old 06-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #48
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Sorry guys NOTHING is going to keep your wheels cleaner except changing brake pads.
These pics are from my 30 miles round trip to work after 5 days. Nothing will keep them clean...I took it to a power washers yesterday and it blew off a little, but I came home and just washed it....you are not going to get away from touching the rims to get the brake dust off....products will just make getting it off easier.
Attached Images

Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #49
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I like hydro2 as its a silica base like their cquartz product, and the ease of application cant be beat. The new sonax product is a polymer, silica is a harder shield. But i like sonax and will prob pick some up on my next autogeek load and do two wheels with it and two with hydro, for an A-B test.
Interested to see how the sonax works.

I just received an order and have the new Mckees wheel coating. Did my truck wheels today. Tomorrow I will do the ZL1 if I have a chance, but I will need to strip off the current protection which has been performing well for a year, it is nearing the end of expected life cycle. That damn Autogeek, always new stuff to try out.

Did some work with Car Pro Essence today as well. Great product.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:17 AM   #50
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Interested to see how the sonax works.

I just received an order and have the new Mckees wheel coating. Did my truck wheels today. Tomorrow I will do the ZL1 if I have a chance, but I will need to strip off the current protection which has been performing well for a year, it is nearing the end of expected life cycle. That damn Autogeek, always new stuff to try out.

Did some work with Car Pro Essence today as well. Great product.
Wanna send the bottle my way
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #51
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Sorry guys NOTHING is going to keep your wheels cleaner except changing brake pads.
These pics are from my 30 miles round trip to work after 5 days. Nothing will keep them clean...I took it to a power washers yesterday and it blew off a little, but I came home and just washed it....you are not going to get away from touching the rims to get the brake dust off....products will just make getting it off easier.
Have you ever tried a coating? Makes it super easy regardless if you switch pads..
Personally I'm not going to give up braking perfomance and gaining higher rotor wear over brake dust. Good pads dust..... just how it is.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #52
Glen e

Got some new wheels going on next week, ill CQuartzuk two and hydro2 the others.....watched the sonax video, think ill wait to do that a/b test later.....autogeek load scheduled for after dec, im loaded with stuff now.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #53
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Have you ever tried a coating? Makes it super easy regardless if you switch pads..
Personally I'm not going to give up braking perfomance and gaining higher rotor wear over brake dust. Good pads dust..... just how it is.
Coatings make it EASIER to remove brake dust....they do not prevent it....you still have to touch the rims to fully clean....ESPECIALLY ON,A DD.

Full Zaino coated....didn't work.
Stripped and Hydro 2 coated....didn't work
Stripped, Qquartzuk...didn't work!
BACK to Zaino over Qquartz for protection!

My car is my DD...I am also purchasing a ZL1...that will be my performance weekend car....I don't want to clean brake dust every 2 days from my DD....so I will change pads and loose a little more rotor life.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #54
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
I ended up treating them with Hydro2 yesterday. I had about an ounce left so I added 3 ounces of water and sprayed them. I was afraid I might run out of it but I had plenty left. I had that sitting on my shelf for years since I last used it. Love the ease of use, just wished it lasted longer.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #55
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Coatings make it EASIER to remove brake dust....they do not prevent it....you still have to touch the rims to fully clean....ESPECIALLY ON,A DD.

Full Zaino coated....didn't work.
Stripped and Hydro 2 coated....didn't work
Stripped, Qquartzuk...didn't work!
BACK to Zaino over Qquartz for protection!

My car is my DD...I am also purchasing a ZL1...that will be my performance weekend car....I don't want to clean brake dust every 2 days from my DD....so I will change pads and loose a little more rotor life.
Like I said good pads dust, at least clean up is a breeze.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #56
Glen e

I'm still surprised how many people think that some/any detailing product will STOP the brake dust. That's just physically impossible.