Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #533
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
This is a problem, but there are many solutions coming around. All the new places down here have charging stations. My apartment has their 8 closest spaces on each floor(16 total spaces) reserved for electric vehicles.
That may work for new construction, especially if apartment zoning regs start requiring charging stations.

It's not going to work for old construction complexes and existing rowhomes, and eventually even 8 charging stations for 16 parking spaces may prove to be inadequate.

Norm
Old 03-09-2021, 09:05 AM   #534
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
This is a problem, but there are many solutions coming around. All the new places down here have charging stations. My apartment has their 8 closest spaces on each floor(16 total spaces) reserved for electric vehicles.

When I think of these guys charging for free, while I'm paying for gas, it makes me want an EV pretty bad. Help me offset the gas guzzling muscle car from the 60's destined for my garage in the next few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
That may work for new construction, especially if apartment zoning regs start requiring charging stations.

It's not going to work for old construction complexes and existing rowhomes, and eventually even 8 charging stations for 16 parking spaces may prove to be inadequate.

Norm
Exactly Norm, that may work for new construction. What about the building thats been there since the 60s or 70s. Or the high rise apartment building
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #535
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
There are EV companies that make portable, solar powered charging stations:

https://beamforall.com/

However I don't yet know how efficient those are. I'm sure they don't charge as well as traditional station.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #536
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:

When I think of these guys charging for free, while I'm paying for gas, it makes me want an EV pretty bad.
Trust me, "free" won't last forever. If you're not paying up front you'll need to pay a service fee, surcharge or rent will be adjusted accordingly. No landlord or power company is going to eat the cost so people can tool about in their $50,000 golf cart.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #537
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
and im sure the feds will still want to collect what they are going to miss in gas taxes.call it a "road usage fee".
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #538
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post

However I don't yet know how efficient those are. I'm sure they don't charge as well as traditional station.
Still not going to work very well for apartment dwellers and anybody who doesn't have access to dedicated off-street parking. To say nothing about those who live in areas with zoning regs or HOAs that get picky about individual homeowners doing visible after-purchase improvements.

Norm
Old 03-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #539
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
There are many residential neighborhoods in Chicago. They park in the street and there aren’t any open spaces. When they shovel the space where they parked their car, they place an item such as a chair to claim the space when they return. No way, will they be able to address areas like this and if they do, I think it will be subsidized by others.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #540
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
There are many residential neighborhoods in Chicago. They park in the street and there aren’t any open spaces. When they shovel the space where they parked their car, they place an item such as a chair to claim the space when they return. No way, will they be able to address areas like this and if they do, I think it will be subsidized by others.
I sure don't miss that.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #541

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So free electricity at apartments (escpecially those "progressive" ones...lol...), parking structures, home, work or elsewhere is what many will count on for their driving budget of EVs????....lol....Good luck with that. Do you really think it will be free, or even low-cost? Might find cheap deals or low profile introductory charging sources now, but don't count on it lasting. It can only get more expensive...Good luck.

Here's a pretty good article. https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ctric-car.html
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #542
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Still not going to work very well for apartment dwellers and anybody who doesn't have access to dedicated off-street parking. To say nothing about those who live in areas with zoning regs or HOAs that get picky about individual homeowners doing visible after-purchase improvements.

Norm

Yeah for sure. If you live in an apartment building without off street parking then it'll be rough. Frankly though, it's already tough to find a parking spot! Which is why many people in big cities don't even bother owning a car in those situations.

That company doesn't seem to offer their solar stations to individual homeowners, so I don't think HOAs will be a problem.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #543
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
SUV sales are up and trucks still lead. EVs are only about 2.5% of US car sales. Mary Barra can say GM will be all EV by 2035, but when people don't buy, she will find herself unemployed. All these EVs are the future threads are making ridiculous assumptions that ignore consumer sentiment. They sound like the self driving car threads from a couple years back. We saw how that went.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #544
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Camaro's Future - is an open ended title. I had to check. The original post was essentially a 'you're stuck with EV' taunt from a Corvette blog. Screw that.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #545
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post

I have my doubts on if those could really charge an EV quickly. Plus, when the weather is bad or at night, those are giant paper weights(unless they are connected to the grid somehow).

I actually do have a software on my laptop that simulates solar panels. If those guys have dimensions for that thing, I could just build a model to see if it's BS.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #546
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Most if not all of the apartment dwellers will simply be going to a "quick charge" station. Current technology allows 80% in 15 minutes. Read an article the other day that this option won't be as cheap as charging at home, which is obvious as the stations will have other costs that your garage will like already have.

As for buyers? We will see how that plays out. Most buyers don't go to web sites to talk about their cars and they don't really care much about what propels it. Once you've crossed the cost threshold all bets are off. Today an EV is at a premium. GM claims Ultium gets them to the holy grail of parity with an ICE. The refreshed Bolt and Bolt EUV don't have that technology.

Today you can buy a Bolt for $31,995ish or you can buy a Trailblazer for $19,000 or even cheaper a Spark for $13,400. You can buy a lot of gas with the $17,000 difference if all you want is transportation. But if you can get an EV Spark for $13,400 who knows.

Second hurdle will simply be convenience (or inconvenience) of charging.

But keep in mind, 5 years ago the hurdle was range. Even the Bolt now pretty much has that covered at 250 with Tesla at 400.