Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 06-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #463
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by H(.)(.)ters View Post
Got my wing today. Initial inspection looks pretty damn good to me! I will install tomorrow morning.
Awesome, can't wait to see some pics
Old 06-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #464
H(.)(.)ters

Drives: 2SS - Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
Awesome, can't wait to see some pics
I have to admit, I didn’t look closely at the spoiler. I paid most attention to the 3 risers pieces. Also, it was nighttime when I opened the package. Anyway...

Here’s my take.

The 3 riser pieces looked great from the outside at first glance. But when we finally started the installation, we noticed that the holes were drilled in such a way that it was not a clean or straight cut through. Almost like when you make a hole punch in paper with a dull hole puncher and the round piece of paper doesn’t fully get cut off. It just kind of folded inside the risers...and hardened in the process. These leftover pieces created a weird spacer effect and did not allow the bolts to catch the threads of the spoiler. They also caused the bolts to get angled in a such a way that they did not line up straight to the threads in the spoiler. We had to take a tiny chisel and hammer and knock those rough edges off so that the bolt would extend further out and expose more bolt thread to grab the spoilers threading. PAIN IN THE ASS.

On the right riser, there was just too much residual junk inside and no amount of chiseling was enough. So, we had to make a trip to the hardware store and get extended bolts (among other things...more later).

Because of all that residual mess inside the risers, when it came time to snug the bolts and get the spoiler flush with the risers, we were left with an uneasy feeling as we kept hearing crunching noises as the riser and spoiler got closer and flush to each other. It was the residual material compressing. Oh well.

With the spoiler assembled, it was time to mount to trunk. The instructions say to use OEM bolts from original spoiler. WRONG! The bolts are too small for the threading of the bottom of the risers. So, along with the extended bolts to attach the spoiler to the 3 risers, we also had to get 6 larger nuts to attach the bottom side of the risers to the Camaro trunk lid. We also had to get a half inch nylon spacer because the threads on one of the risers were a little warped and wouldn’t allow any bolt to get screwed down all the way flush. Oh well.

While we were doing this, we had the spoiler still mostly wrapped in its original styrofoam sheet for protection. We did remove the outer bubble wrap. So, when we finally unwrapped the spoiler, I was disappointed to see a couple chips in the paint. I’ve touched them up, but I think I will just cover over them with a vinyl stripe or something. Oh well.

Anyway, we completed all this in scorching 90+ degrees in direct sunlight. It took a long while to finish as we had to jury rig fixes to the flawed production. All in all, I am still pleased with the result and was happy to save some $3000 which is what I would have spent for the ZL1 part from GM. But, the product is still not 100% good to go out of the box. They need to work on that. Finally, the left side riser fits more flush than the right side riser. Hopefully, you can see it in the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #465
H(.)(.)ters

Left side flush

Flush connection.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #466
H(.)(.)ters

Right side - Not as flush

Right side gap...
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #467
H(.)(.)ters

One thing I would recommend is for C7 to ship the spoilers already assembled. That would save a buttload of time and trips to the hardware store.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #468
C7 Carbon

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
One thing I would recommend is for C7 to ship the spoilers already assembled. That would save a buttload of time and trips to the hardware store.
We will definitely suggest that, but I think the reason shipping dept. doesn't offer them pre-assembled is because of the dimensional weight that gets charged from UPS.. It could bring the price closer to 200 in s/h. Sorry to see the marks on the paint finish. We will also see what we can do to improve things once the products leave our factory.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #469
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
First and foremost, I'm sorry for your frustration. I know what its like waiting on something so long only to be seriously let down when it arrives. The issues are totally unacceptable and the right side gap is a downright disgrace in craftsmanship.

C7 you need to bring that quality control up to acceptable levels, this is not the first issue noted with these spoilers. We expect more than this from you, your reputation is taking a serious hit!

I have one on order as well and am at week 9 and still waiting. Once received, I'll take some detailed pictures of what was received and the condition of the product to share with the group.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #470
C7 Carbon

Update: 6/2/2018:

Thank you for everyone who has helped support this project and give us their feedback. We are going to suspend our production of this product for 1-3 weeks so we can contact the few customers who have had their spoilers replaced and get the spoilers that they are not happy with back to our factory so we can analyze the spoilers and see how we can improve things.

- We deeply apologize about this, but we want to see what we can do to improve the product on our side and once it leaves our factory to our customers. If you would like to cancel your order, its no problem, just send us a email with your order ID and your spoiler order will be refunded promptly.

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #471
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7 Carbon View Post
Update: 6/2/2018:

Thank you for everyone who has helped support this project and give us their feedback. We are going to suspend our production of this product for 1-3 weeks so we can contact the few customers who have had their spoilers replaced and get the spoilers that they are not happy with back to our factory so we can analyze the spoilers and see how we can improve things.

- We deeply apologize about this, but we want to see what we can do to improve the product on our side and once it leaves our factory to our customers. If you would like to cancel your order, its no problem, just send us a email with your order ID and your spoiler order will be refunded promptly.

Thank you!
If you guys are planning on redesigning the wing I think it would be well worth the effort to get rid of the exposed screws on the back of the uprights.

Maybe just use the one screw that enters through the bottom of the upright and adhesive or 3m tape where the upright attaches to the main wing. Imo that would be more than sufficient to ensure the wing is secure.

It would also solve the problem people have been having trying to assemble the wing having to juggle 2 screws at the same time along with significantly cleaning up the look and removing the potential of customers receiving wings with oblong or paint chipped holes. There would also no longer be an issue of the 2 holes potentially not lining up either as I have experienced as well.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #472
DarthSidious

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I received my spoiler last week, but was out of the country and still haven't opened it. I was planning to buy some rubber gasket material for the bottom of the stanchions, but is this what you are saying should now be included?
I got mine in last night and installed this morning. there is now weather strip between the decklid and the uprights as well as between the uprights and the wing itself.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #473
H(.)(.)ters

Despite the flaws, my car still looks damn nasty and I mean that in a good way.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #474
DarthSidious

Drives: 2016 2SS
installed
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #475
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
I have to admit, I didn’t look closely at the spoiler. I paid most attention to the 3 risers pieces. Also, it was nighttime when I opened the package. Anyway...

Here’s my take.

The 3 riser pieces looked great from the outside at first glance. But when we finally started the installation, we noticed that the holes were drilled in such a way that it was not a clean or straight cut through. Almost like when you make a hole punch in paper with a dull hole puncher and the round piece of paper doesn’t fully get cut off. It just kind of folded inside the risers...and hardened in the process. These leftover pieces created a weird spacer effect and did not allow the bolts to catch the threads of the spoiler. They also caused the bolts to get angled in a such a way that they did not line up straight to the threads in the spoiler. We had to take a tiny chisel and hammer and knock those rough edges off so that the bolt would extend further out and expose more bolt thread to grab the spoilers threading. PAIN IN THE ASS.

On the right riser, there was just too much residual junk inside and no amount of chiseling was enough. So, we had to make a trip to the hardware store and get extended bolts (among other things...more later).

Because of all that residual mess inside the risers, when it came time to snug the bolts and get the spoiler flush with the risers, we were left with an uneasy feeling as we kept hearing crunching noises as the riser and spoiler got closer and flush to each other. It was the residual material compressing. Oh well.

With the spoiler assembled, it was time to mount to trunk. The instructions say to use OEM bolts from original spoiler. WRONG! The bolts are too small for the threading of the bottom of the risers. So, along with the extended bolts to attach the spoiler to the 3 risers, we also had to get 6 larger nuts to attach the bottom side of the risers to the Camaro trunk lid. We also had to get a half inch nylon spacer because the threads on one of the risers were a little warped and wouldn’t allow any bolt to get screwed down all the way flush. Oh well.

While we were doing this, we had the spoiler still mostly wrapped in its original styrofoam sheet for protection. We did remove the outer bubble wrap. So, when we finally unwrapped the spoiler, I was disappointed to see a couple chips in the paint. I’ve touched them up, but I think I will just cover over them with a vinyl stripe or something. Oh well.

Anyway, we completed all this in scorching 90+ degrees in direct sunlight. It took a long while to finish as we had to jury rig fixes to the flawed production. All in all, I am still pleased with the result and was happy to save some $3000 which is what I would have spent for the ZL1 part from GM. But, the product is still not 100% good to go out of the box. They need to work on that. Finally, the left side riser fits more flush than the right side riser. Hopefully, you can see it in the pictures.
My install was mostly the same as yours. Holes in the uprights we not square to the threaded holes in the spoiler and had a lot of residual mess. I did manage to get everything lined up, but also had to go buy 3 longer 1/4-20 button head cap screws. The phillips head bolts they sent were way too short and didn't even protrude through the uprights at all. Word to the wise is to keep your allen head tightly inserted in the bolt until fully tightened for the internal support hole as it's very hard to re-insert with not much room if it falls out. I have the tall uprights so it might be a little easier with the normal uprights. I did get my wing to seat completely flush, but I know exactly what you mean with the crunching noises and uneasy feeling.

Same thing with the studs for the trunk mounting. They are also 1/4-20 and you cannot use the metric nuts from the stock spoiler, so I had to go buy 6 of those. I didn't get instructions included like you mention.

My wing is the carbon fiber version and the finish on it was amazing. The only negative thing I can say about it is it sounded like a maraca when I was handling it because some small pieces of fiberglass must have broken off on the inside. The paint on my supports was in good shape with no scuffs or scratches. My supports also came with the weather stripping on top and bottom which is nice.

I'll take some pictures and post later this week when it's nice and sunny out.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #476
C7 Carbon

Thanks guys! During this time we are trying to see what we can do to improve the bolt hole location along with de-burring the hole locations after assembly, improve the provided hardware

Here is a rundown of the issues we are addressing right now.

- (Complaint) Bolt hole location on the rear bolt
- Pending solution: Waiting on our metal fab department to finish a revised fixture that allows for less tolerance while the holes are being drilled

- (Complaint) Inside the bolt location on visible side of the rear bases some need to be better cleaned / prep.
- Pending solution We are working with our paint and prep department to let them know about this issue. This should be fixed on all new spoilers going out from now on.

- (Complaint) Marks on the paint / finish
- Pending solution: We are going to better package each part of the spoiler and separate the 4 pieces provided. We believe that during transit the bases and the main wing must be hitting a little and making some of the small nicks and marks that some customers have posted about. Our QC dept would never let a product leave the factory with any marks or chips in the finish.

Summary:
We are really close to having this product dialed in, we have had a few hiccups along the way since its a new product and the bases are small but very complex to fabricate. There are 18 molds for the bases! Being able to build the bases slightly thicker and wider allows for the bases to spread the overall weight load of the rear spoiler across more surface area of the rear trunk. So while they may be a little bit more complicated to build this way, we do believe that it is the best way to fabricate them to help distribute the downforce load provided to the trunk.

The main wing itself has been very straight forward and no current issues to address or revisions planned.

We just want to thank everyone for there input! We design our products based on community input and if needed like this product we will also revise and fix any issues based on the community input

Closed Thread