Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #29
audiowhiz

Drives: 2005 Corvette M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyg63 View Post
car shopping one day I drove a ZL1 and was impressed but the price was crazy. Found a freshly traded 11 2ss/rs L99 with headers a tune and a cam and it was hands down noticeably faster than the ZL1. It was also 25k cheaper. Talked to the original owner then bought it. It's so easy and relatively inexpensive to turn an everyday SS into a stock ZL1 killer
I am assuming your L99 was converted to a LS3 ? I had never heard of a cammed L99 without the conversion.
audiowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #30
deweyg63

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 500+ h.p. monster
The problem with the L99 is the AFM lifters. Change the lifters along with the cam and you're set
deweyg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #31
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
This 100%. This discussion has come up countless times over the years. Many dealers simply put 87 octane (they require 91 or greater) in these cars from the get go. The car gets set to a lower octane table and pulls power, a potential driver is disappointed and they come here in search of answers. More than likely, a fuse pull is now required.

Dear dealers: Put 93 octane in the car dammit!

Just about to chime in when I saw your post!

Take a gander at this, you'll see what we're talking about: Fuse Pull
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #32
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The new LT1 doesn't have a problem with AFM. Why is the L99 such a PITA when AFM is not deleted? :dunno:
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:46 AM   #33
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowhiz View Post
I am assuming your L99 was converted to a LS3 ? I had never heard of a cammed L99 without the conversion.
You have not been around long then.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #34
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st.gen.to.5th.gen View Post
Maybe you're just bad at driving. I drive my 1le pretty spiritedly most of the time and have managed to only hit the rev limiter maybe twice in the two years I've had it.
I had a1994 Vette 6 speed with 4.10 gears and never hit the rev limiter, but thanks for the input.
Glassman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #35
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Glassman. I can totally relate to what you're referring to with the perceived lack of speed. When I purchased mine I was a bit underwhelmed; I thought that the engine revved slow and there was no huge push in my back. However, let me tell you what I found. My dad purchased a Boss Mustang 302 at the same time, as we were going to do track days together. That engine felt immensely stronger. It revved much quicker, had a great kick in the pants feel, and just sounded faster too with it's totally different engine note. I thought he was going to kill me down the straights. One track we go to often is VIR. It has a nice long straight coming out of Oak Tree turn. He and I would come out on the straight together many times and the results were consistently the same: neck and neck. Every time. We had many conversations about how totally different the cars felt but performed the same in terms of straight line speed. I'm serious, I felt going down that straight as if the LS3 was a tractor engine, as my dad's 302 was blaring, but the visual results didn't lie. So, to you I say don't worry, I felt the same exact way as you do now, but the speed is absolutely there. After a few track days you will begin to appreciate the way it's calm about it's thrust.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #36
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
1. Not sure how a cammed, tuned and bolted-on L99 is faster than a ZL1, but...what do I know. :P

2. There are alot of cammed L99s that aren't converted to LS3 setups...in fact, if and when I get cammed I'll be going with either the GPI SS1 or SS2 VVT cam.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #37
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post
I had a1994 Vette 6 speed with 4.10 gears and never hit the rev limiter, but thanks for the input.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #38
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyg63 View Post
car shopping one day I drove a ZL1 and was impressed but the price was crazy. Found a freshly traded 11 2ss/rs L99 with headers a tune and a cam and it was hands down noticeably faster than the ZL1. It was also 25k cheaper. Talked to the original owner then bought it. It's so easy and relatively inexpensive to turn an everyday SS into a stock ZL1 killer
LOL a killer in what regards??? Aerodynamics? Braking?, Handling? PTM? Bullet proof drivetrain? Ability to put down 1000+ RWHP with out breaking things? Please eloborate.

Faster in a straight line for 11 or so seconds does not establish much.
ZL1 will trump your maxed out L99 conversion with a set of headers, lower 10% and a CAI, and still have a VERY LARGE amount of headroom for more.

By the time you match the power capabilities, and have broken every drive train component a few times in your SS, the ZL1 will still be on stock parts. Thats where the difference in cost comes in.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #39
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
Glassman. I can totally relate to what you're referring to with the perceived lack of speed. When I purchased mine I was a bit underwhelmed; I thought that the engine revved slow and there was no huge push in my back. However, let me tell you what I found. My dad purchased a Boss Mustang 302 at the same time, as we were going to do track days together. That engine felt immensely stronger. It revved much quicker, had a great kick in the pants feel, and just sounded faster too with it's totally different engine note. I thought he was going to kill me down the straights. One track we go to often is VIR. It has a nice long straight coming out of Oak Tree turn. He and I would come out on the straight together many times and the results were consistently the same: neck and neck. Every time. We had many conversations about how totally different the cars felt but performed the same in terms of straight line speed. I'm serious, I felt going down that straight as if the LS3 was a tractor engine, as my dad's 302 was blaring, but the visual results didn't lie. So, to you I say don't worry, I felt the same exact way as you do now, but the speed is absolutely there. After a few track days you will begin to appreciate the way it's calm about it's thrust.

That makes me feel a lot better. The car did have grunt, I liked the grunt.

And it handled awesome.
Glassman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #40
SMN2011Z28
Always a work in progress

Drives: 2014 RRM SS RS 1LE
Easiest way to be a Challenger in a race........turn!!
Take the 1LE or a ZL1 out for some canyon carving or better yet to a track. Your nerves will likely give out before the car will. I've had much more powerful cars than my 1LE but it's still my one of my favorites for fun driving!
SMN2011Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote