Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #29
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu barada nikto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
That cai gets no credit on here because it wasnt in that old test. Plus its not sold on here. Yet the dyno test puts it at or close to the top of the list.
I completely agree with this.

I agree, the Z/28 intake looks aggressive, but I'm not one to put unproven Z/28 poser parts on my SS. The Z/28 is a stolen Roto-Fab design and technically it is sold on here, just call Maureen. For tuned NA motors, the highest rwhp gain for an intake is Vararam at well beyond 50. While nothing can touch it, for non-NA applications you're using Roto-Fab or CAI with a scoop. Roto-Fab recently redesigned theirs to supposedly flow better.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #30
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
I agree, the Z/28 intake looks aggressive, but I'm not one to put unproven Z/28 poser parts on my SS. The Z/28 is a stolen Roto-Fab design and technically it is sold on here, just call Maureen. For tuned NA motors, the highest rwhp gain for an intake is Vararam at well beyond 50. While nothing can touch it, for non-NA applications you're using Roto-Fab or CAI with a scoop. Roto-Fab recently redesigned theirs to supposedly flow better.
I didn't say "the Z/28 intake looks aggressive"(although i agree it does), i said it looks OEM which is more than can be said about any stickered up aftermarket intake. Prove your claim "The Z/28 is a stolen Roto-Fab design" or i call . The Z/28 intake was designed, flowed and tested for the 500+ hp. LS7 and is therefore proven. Common sense dictates this is more than enough air sufficient for a LS3 or L99.
klaatu barada nikto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:08 AM   #31
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Quote:
"..tuned NA motors is Vararam at well beyond 50"? NOT with Just a tune and Vararam Only according to their advertisement:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8iRZXTxaFU9-Kg

I would Love to see what the numbers are for a tuned motor with the Z/28 intake.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #32
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
I didn't say "the Z/28 intake looks aggressive"(although i agree it does), i said it looks OEM which is more than can be said about any stickered up aftermarket intake. Prove your claim "The Z/28 is a stolen Roto-Fab design" or i call . The Z/28 intake was designed, flowed and tested for the 500+ hp. LS7 and is therefore proven. Common sense dictates this is more than enough air sufficient for a LS3 or L99.
I'm well aware of the development sources and don't have to prove crap to you, anyone with a brain knows Roto-Fab developed their open design years before GM. There are also major differences between barely being able to get air into the motor through bent tubes and maximum efficiency through a straight pipe design.

Quote:
"..tuned NA motors is Vararam at well beyond 50"? NOT with Just a tune and Vararam Only according to their advertisement:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8iRZXTxaFU9-Kg

I would Love to see what the numbers are for a tuned motor with the Z/28 intake.
I'm aware. Called marketing 101 and not everyone has access to a qualified professional tuner. The numbers will in line with Rotofab and CAI.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #33
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Not sure what your saying here..... 50 rwhp from your Rotofab cai....if that's indeed what your trying to say then we need to discuss this more.
50rwhp and GM stoled the design.......got it. In all honesty when posting theses claims you sure as hell need to prove shit to people. Your opinion doesn't determine fact. If you can produce a proven source for both your claims with numbers....and I mean proven numbers then I'll agree with you. Start with the 50 HP gain claim first. If I misunderstood you then I apologize. The manufacturers claims are not taken seriously here.

Last edited by rontammy0; 11-15-2016 at 10:46 AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #34
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Not sure what your saying here..... 50 rwhp from your Rotofab cai....if that's indeed what your trying to say then we need to discuss this more.
50rwhp and GM stoled the design.......got it. In all honesty when posting theses claims you sure as hell need to prove shit to people. Your opinion doesn't determine fact. If you can produce a proven source for both your claims with numbers....and I mean proven numbers then I'll agree with you. Start with the 50 HP gain claim first. If I misunderstood you then I apologize. The manufacturers claims are not taken seriously here.
Might have been misread, no worries. Only Vararam is possible for gains over 35hp/tq and even that is substantially underrated. Owners need to work with a professional tuner if they are serious about maximizing air flow for their NA set ups. Weekend warriors simply need to buy a Roto-Fab / CAI / Z28, add a scoop and enjoy their quick little 30hp/tq gains. While I have personally seen documented gains well beyond 50 for Vararam, they aren't getting reposted here. I am happy to continue working with any of my local club members and preferred performance shops to reproduce those numbers in person however.

Regarding the Z28 intake design, people are free to insert copy, inspired by or motivated for 'stolen' if it makes them feel any better though, I'm certainly not going to start throwing my sources under the bus.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #35
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Might have been misread, no worries. Only Vararam is possible for gains over 35hp/tq and even that is substantially underrated. Owners need to work with a professional tuner if they are serious about maximizing air flow for their NA set ups. Weekend warriors simply need to buy a Roto-Fab / CAI / Z28, add a scoop and enjoy their quick little 30hp/tq gains. While I have personally seen documented gains well beyond 50 for Vararam, they aren't getting reposted here. I am happy to continue working with any of my local club members and preferred performance shops to reproduce those numbers in person however.

Regarding the Z28 intake design, people are free to insert copy, inspired by or motivated for 'stolen' if it makes them feel any better though, I'm certainly not going to start throwing my sources under the bus.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I've never heard from anyone anywhere claiming 50 rwhp from a cai regardless of a tune or not. Now saying just because I haven't seen or heard of it doesn't mean anything. I'm going with average gains......dyno results and what have you. Your going to raise some eyebrows with your weekend warriors claim of getting 30 rwhp out of a Vararam cai. Now I really want to see some track and dyno results.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #36
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
I'm just curious from an engineering aspect of the way these things are made... like what the heck could possibly make a 10+rwhp different from one CAI to another? I highly doubt it's that serious.
It's just a tube with a filter on the end of it.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #37
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The Roto-fab system is a great option. And you guys are right that the Z28 intake doesn't get the credit it deserves on here. However, in direct comparison testing, our CAI gained a few horsepower over the Z28 system. Not a huge gain, but the gap would widen as mods increase.

Thanks for your interest everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #38
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Unproven? See post #7. Ask around, I'm not the only one that Dyno tested.
It's a genuine GM part, advertised as an upgrade for the LS3 engine! But, hey, what does GM know?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #39
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Well, if GM was so smart, why didn't they install it in the first place?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #40
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
It seems, they are, they're selling it as aftermarket. Making extra money off performance parts. Lol
Old 11-16-2016, 02:28 AM   #41
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Quote:
I'm well aware of the development sources and don't have to prove crap to you, anyone with a brain knows Roto-Fab developed their open design years before GM. There are also major differences between barely being able to get air into the motor through bent tubes and maximum efficiency through a straight pipe design.

I'm aware. Called marketing 101 and not everyone has access to a qualified professional tuner. The numbers will in line with Rotofab and CAI.
You can't prove it because your original statement about the Z intake is . Going with your line of thinking, GM could have got the idea about the automobile from Ford.

I'm waiting for proof of your claim "for tuned NA motors, the highest rwhp gain for an intake is Vararam at well beyond 50".
Old 11-16-2016, 02:51 AM   #42
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
When the Z/28 Camaro was released, No Parts Specific to the Z/28 could be ordered unless you actually owned a Z and provided the VIN. I was informed of this by GM management.