The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #29
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
This thread should be on OFF-TOPIC forum.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #30
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Next time someone says that you don't look handicapped, say you don't look mentally handicapped either. Honestly I believe most states require a doctor to sign off. I understand that people don't have to look handicapped. Breathing ailments, heart conditions etc. My knees are bone on bone, but I look like I walk fairly normal. It's a shame people have to be like that. I am sure there is some abuse, but what program isn't?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #31
nitrosteve

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition V-8 auto
Wow! This is one angry person!
nitrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #32
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATGYRL View Post
For the past 4 years I have driven a paint faded 1999 GMC Yukon. I have had handicap placard (card for window vs. plates) and no one has made one mention of whether i should be in handicap. After being a single mom and sacrificing driving the bucket i finally got MY CAR...the car that makes me happy...after ducking ppl i know the car that will make me be seen and now everyone makes comments about whether i belong in handicap or if i look handicap or if i just don't want anyone scratching my ride...WELL DANGIT I DON'T WANT MY CAR SCRATCHED, but must i limp, hold my hand to my chest, use a cane, crutch or walker to prove to you idiots I am handicapped? I've earned every incident of my handicap parking and you know what yes i do drive a sweet as crap 2015 Camaro RS that I love far more than you HATERS!!!

Getya some dark sunglasses. Tell 'em you're blind.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #33
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
It sucks that there are so many judgmental individuals out there but like posted above, HC spots get abused all the time by family members so it gives those that need it a bad rap when they don't have any identifying physical conditions that the general public feels warrant it.

My issue is those that drive with it hanging from the rear view mirror. At least in NC it states to remove from mirror when vehicle is in motion.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #34
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
I'm waiting for the OP to chime in with an answer as to which "handicap" necessitates a close parking spot, but allows you to slip in and out of a Camaro? Due to the rather senseless rant, I'm betting on "Social Anxiety Disorder" and she takes her "therapy dog" into restaurants as well...

EDIT: I think I'm going to start "modding" Rascal Mobility Scooters for diabetic fat asses. Who wants a Red Hot Rascal Rally Sport with 6" five spoke wheels and an extra 12V "Supercharger Battery Pack?" First one to place a pre-order gets a CAI for their oxygen tank! And you guys better not start bitching when I refresh the taillights in a couple of years!

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #35
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Whether. There's one handicap you can overcome. Glad to help.
touche
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #36
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
This is the requirements for my state.

The Medical Certification section on the application must be completed by an authorized physician (doctor of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry or chiropractic, licensed to practice medicine in the United States), a registered nurse practitioner or by a hospital administrator. Applicants must meet one or more of these conditions:
The applicant is unable to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.
The applicant is unable to walk without help from another person or a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair or other prosthetic or assistance device.
The applicant has lung disease that with forced respiratory, expiratory volume for one second, if measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the applicant's arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest.
The applicant uses portable oxygen.
The applicant has a cardiac condition with Class 3 or 4 functional limitations by American Heart Association standards.
The applicant is severely limited in ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #37
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
For my $.02, I have a handicapped placard which I *used* to use for my SS. I have Secondary Pulmonary Hypertension as a result of blood clots, which severely limited my ability to walk long distances. I understand where the original poster was ranting, as I have been on the receiving end of discrimination (especially since I lift weights and 'look' healthier than a lot of people), although I haven't gotten quite as angry hehe. Now that I have the ZL1 I park it in the middle of nowhere and I walk for a couple reasons: 1. Hello? It's a ZL1 and 2. I'm never gonna get better if I take the 'easy' route...so I just go slow and try to take my time.

(Basically I have two of the qualifications Sven59 mentioned on the post immediately above mine)
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #38
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I'm waiting for the OP to chime in with an answer as to which "handicap" necessitates a close parking spot, but allows you to slip in and out of a Camaro? ......
This comment right here goes to show how unfamiliar/uneducated the general public is in regards to a persons physical disability. We should all drive handicap vans????

I lost my left leg above the knee in a motorcycle accident in the early 80's at the age of 23....so, I have now been walking with a prosthetic leg w/hydraulic knee for longer than I had with two sound legs. That said, I can get in/out of any vehicle (some easier than others) but the one thing I need in order to do this is to have the door fully swing open - all the way. I need this in order to navigate the prosthetic in and out as it doesn't twist and turn as you can your leg, it bends at one angle only and the foot is fixed....the Handicap space affords me this room. I do walk with a slight limp but folks really eyeball you when you pull in with a ZL1 and check my mirror for the hanging place card. When I was younger (before I married), I drove a Corvette and folks would call me on it all the time - until I pulled my pants leg up to show them the "hardware".

So I get the OP's rant - to this day I work out regularly w/weights and still have people give me that condescending eye and then check to see if I have the place card.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #39
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATGYRL View Post
For the past 4 years I have driven a paint faded 1999 GMC Yukon. I have had handicap placard (card for window vs. plates) and no one has made one mention of whether i should be in handicap. After being a single mom and sacrificing driving the bucket i finally got MY CAR...the car that makes me happy...after ducking ppl i know the car that will make me be seen and now everyone makes comments about whether i belong in handicap or if i look handicap or if i just don't want anyone scratching my ride...WELL DANGIT I DON'T WANT MY CAR SCRATCHED, but must i limp, hold my hand to my chest, use a cane, crutch or walker to prove to you idiots I am handicapped? I've earned every incident of my handicap parking and you know what yes i do drive a sweet as crap 2015 Camaro RS that I love far more than you HATERS!!!
Oh don't get me stared on this. Oh what the hell, you drive a V6 (1LT, not LT1), not an RS!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I know one thing, at least here in PA, it isn't very hard to get a handy cap sticker. The Doctor granted permission for one for my wife before her knee replacement and she could walk fine. She just had a lot of pain, but she works up two fights of stairs. She didn't get it because to didn't feel she deserved it. So, who knows.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #41
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
The point of her post is that when she drove a shitty truck nobody gave her a second glance parking in a handicap spot. But now that she drives a Camaro she gets scrutinized.

I can see that.

Be honest, if you saw someone park a Ferrari in a handicap spot pretty much no matter what they looked like you would question it. I would... even though its not fair.

But someone getting out of a shitty truck must really be handicapped because, hey look at what they are driving.

Also, some people have severe emphazema... or however you spell that hard-to-breathe disease... or really weak hearts so even though they do not look handicapped they do need to park in one of those spots.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #42
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I'm waiting for the OP to chime in with an answer as to which "handicap" necessitates a close parking spot, but allows you to slip in and out of a Camaro? Due to the rather senseless rant, I'm betting on "Social Anxiety Disorder" and she takes her "therapy dog" into restaurants as well...

EDIT: I think I'm going to start "modding" Rascal Mobility Scooters for diabetic fat asses. Who wants a Red Hot Rascal Rally Sport with 6" five spoke wheels and an extra 12V "Supercharger Battery Pack?" First one to place a pre-order gets a CAI for their oxygen tank! And you guys better not start bitching when I refresh the taillights in a couple of years!
I may get a warning or even a time out, but I'm handicapped, and you sir are a fktard ...