Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #323
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
75% of people believe they're above average.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
But I AM above average!!!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #324
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Half the game of baseball is 3/4 mental...
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #325
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

So if my towels weigh 80 grams and the dimensions are 15 by 24 inches by my calculations it would be around 344 GSM, safe enough for paint I assume.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #326
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
So if my towels weigh 80 grams and the dimensions are 15 by 24 inches by my calculations it would be around 344 GSM, safe enough for paint I assume.
Yes, your calculations are correct. 350 gsm would be a medium/short nap, good for polish and wax removal. I use a "plusher" towel for final wipe down, 500 gsm+. Even heavier for rinseless wash. I have some towels in the 350-400 range that only see door jams and lower body panels though. "Safe" is a subjective term.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #327
RodParis

Drives: 2014 2SS Spring Edition Convertible
Okay - I have officially dubbed Matt (AKA CamaroDreams07) as "The Bagwan". That Swami-like dude who has his Zen flowing on detailing. As a newbie who's never really worried about detailing autos before, I am in total information overload. I've spent a lot of time over the past week reading most of this thread. I got more confused as I rolled along - too many opinions, too many products, too many ways to go.

As a newbie, I think like a newbie. Here's what I'd like to know:

Acronyms - definitions to reference would help.
PC - Porter Cable?
APC - ?
OPC - ?
BDSM - Black Diamond Silicon Magic - Okay, I made this up, but think it's funny!

Hypothetically, if a guy didn't know *&!@ about detailing and had a new car being built in the next 2-weeks and had $500 dollars to buy supplies with, what should he buy and where/when/how is it used?

1: Ammo Foam
2: Towels of various makes/models/thickness - what kind and how many?
3: Spray Gun?
4: etc/etc/etc

Step 1: The car is home. He washes with his Ammo foam, a spay gun, A mitt? Microfiber towels?, and drys using brand XXXX towels. Does he use Ammo Hydrate while drying?

Step 2: what's next? Is it polish? Is it sealant? Something else?
Step 3? Then what?
Step 4: Put XXX on your tires.....

I apologize for this brain dump! I should be smarter. So, I guess I'd like to know what to buy and if there are acronyms, the it would be helpful to define them. Finally, some simple steps to use what I bought to get my car as good as I can.

Matt and others has said "Skip the dealership Package". I get that and will talk to them tonight.

It's a great thread - maybe some day I'll be a solid contributer instead of the puppy who relies on all the rest of you! But, I appreciate any/all input and the time you guys all put into helping the rest of us - it's cool.
Dual Exhaust
Purchased - April 7, 2014
Current build week: May 5, 2014

Build Code: RSDPWQ
RodParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #328
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Let me get back to you after work.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #329
RodParis

Hi Matt and thanks - hope I'm not too much of a PITA - I can't be the only guy who wants to do it right and is trying to learn, but who's head is swimming.....
Dual Exhaust

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #330
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodParis View Post
Okay - I have officially dubbed Matt (AKA CamaroDreams07) as "The Bagwan". That Swami-like dude who has his Zen flowing on detailing. As a newbie who's never really worried about detailing autos before, I am in total information overload. I've spent a lot of time over the past week reading most of this thread. I got more confused as I rolled along - too many opinions, too many products, too many ways to go.

PC - Porter Cable? You are correct
APC - All Purpose Cleaner, something like adams, or meguiars. You can even use simple green depending one what it is your doing
OPC - This one I have no clue, someone else will hopefully jump in
BDSM - Black Diamond Silicon Magic - Okay, I made this up, but think it's funny! ok…

Hypothetically, if a guy didn't know *&!@ about detailing and had a new car being built in the next 2-weeks and had $500 dollars to buy supplies with, what should he buy and where/when/how is it used?

1: Ammo Foam, soak car down with Mr. Pink from the foam gun, then go to the two bucket method with ammo in the one bucket and go to work. Don't forget a grit guard in EACH bucket.
2: Towels This one is going to take a while:
For drying use the (these are all microfiber madness towels) dry me crazy towel (2) paired with Adams detail spray, you will only need one towel to dry the car but I like to have an extra
For claying and just all around use, use the slogger (5)
For wax or sealant removal use the crazy Pile (4-5)
For removing polish residue use the summit 800 (5)
For waterless wash use the cloud buster (4)
For detail spray I'd go with the crazy pile (as many as you want to buy) But keep the detail spray ones separate from the wax and sealant removal ones.
Wash mitts would be the incredimitt for the top half
adams wash pads for the sides
and 3 autozone wash mitts for the bottom, the undercarriage, and the rims.

3: Spray Gun: Gilmour foam gun for a garden hose and if you are using a pressure washer get a foam cannon from auto geek or chemical guys.
4: Soaps: Ammo paint cleanser
Foam gun or foam cannon soaps: Mr. Pink by chemical guys or citrus wash n gloss also by chemical guys
Wheel cleaner: Adams deep wheel cleaner but its new so regular soap in the gilmour and some light agitation with the wheel woolies and auto zone wash mitt should be fine.
Wheel woolies might still be on sale at adams, check to see if they are or not.

Step 1: The car is home. He washes with his Ammo foam, a gilmour spray gun gun, dries with a microfiber madness incredimitt. and adams detail spray. Does he use Ammo Hydrate while drying? I suppose it wouldn't hurt but I stick with adams detail spray. Either will work but the hydrate is harder to use. And the Adams detail spray is a dream to work with.

Step 2: Clay bar with waterless wash or soap (check out ammos videos)
Step 3: waterless or better yet rinseless wash by adams, buy their new rinseless car wash and it can be diluted for waterless wash also
Step 4: compound and polish
Step 5: glaze (subjective), sealant, then wax.

I apologize for this brain dump! I should be smarter. So, I guess I'd like to know what to buy and if there are acronyms, the it would be helpful to define them. Finally, some simple steps to use what I bought to get my car as good as I can. GRIT GUARDS!!!! Will save your paint a million times over.

Matt and others has said "Skip the dealership Package". I get that and will talk to them tonight. RUN FROM THAT! SWIRLVILLE!

It's a great thread - maybe some day I'll be a solid contributer instead of the puppy who relies on all the rest of you! But, I appreciate any/all input and the time you guys all put into helping the rest of us - it's cool.
There you go! Hope this helps! Oh and ammo mud tire dressing works well, just make sure whatever you get is water based and not solvent based!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #331
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:

PC - Porter Cable?
APC - ?
OPC - ?
BDSM - Black Diamond Silicon Magic - Okay, I made this up, but think it's funny!

Step 1: The car is home. He washes with his Ammo foam, a spay gun, A mitt? Microfiber towels?, and drys using brand XXXX towels. Does he use Ammo Hydrate while drying?

Step 3? Then what?

I apologize for this brain dump! I should be smarter. So, I guess I'd like to know what to buy and if there are acronyms, the it would be helpful to define them. Finally, some simple steps to use what I bought to get my car as good as I can.

Matt and others has said "Skip the dealership Package". I get that and will talk to them tonight.

APC = All Purpose Cleaner

What I would call the absolute essentials for a first time purchase:

Two wash buckets with grit guards
Microfiber Madness Incredimit or Incredipad (at least 2, one for top half one for bottom half)
Gilmour Foam Gun
Car wash - go ahead and buy gallons you'll need it
Craftsman electric leaf blower for drying (less than $50)
Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy (get two)
Detail Spray
Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile (buy at least 4)
Wax/Sealant of your choice (can't go wrong with any of Matt's recommendations)

For polishing I use a Porter Cable (PC) and find it perfectly adequate - I personally like the Menzerna polishes but have heard great things about the new Adam's polishes. You may be able to invest in polishing equipment later, after you perfect your washing technique.

CarProUSA carries the Microfiber Madness line plus a ton of other products, but you can find similar towels at The Rag Company.

Hope this was helpful.

Chad
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #332
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:

PC - Porter Cable?
APC - ?
OPC - ?

Step 3? Then what?

What ever else you do get some 303 Fabric Protection for your top.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #333
CamaroDreams07

Quote:

PC - Porter Cable? Yes, the PC 7424XP is what I'm referring to
APC - ? All Purpose Cleaner. Essentially a strong soap/degreaser that can be used to clean many things.
OPC - ? Not sure you got that from my guide. Maybe from someone's comment, but I'm going to assume it's Optimum Power Clean. That's a name brand of an APC
BDSM - Black Diamond Silicon Magic - Okay, I made this up, but think it's funny! If you meant BFWD, that's the common acronym for Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant. If you meant BFMS, that's Blackfire Midnight Sun paste wax.

I'm gonna address this below

Step 3? Then what?

Step 1: Rinse wheels and wheel wells thoroughly. Spray down tires and wheel wells with APC. Agitate with brush then rinse. Spray down wheels with wheel cleaner, agitate with brush, then rinse.

Step 2: Out of direct sunlight: Rinse car thoroughly. Prepare two wash buckets w/ grit guards- one with plain water, one with soapy water. Foam down with your soap of choice. Take your mitt from your soapy bucket and wash one panel at a time using straight lines and no pressure. Rinse mitt in clean water bucket, agitating it against the grit guard. Then dunk back in the soapy water, again hitting the grit guard. Repeat a section at a time from top to bottom. Work around the top half of the car then go around again doing the bottom half. Rinse car thoroughly.

Step 3: If needed, clay bar the car. No need to dry it first.

Step 4: If needed, polish the car.

Step 5: Apply sealant or wax. Sealant and wax do the same basic thing, just different ways to get there. Sealants are man-made and last longer, waxes are natural, don't last as long, but generally look warmer. Both are intended to protect your paint.

Step 6: Clean windows, dress tires and trim with product of choice.

So you pose an interesting question, one which I haven't really played out in my head until now.

Say I had ~$500 to start over from scratch, knowing what I know now. What would I start with?

Polishing
Griot's 6'' Polisher - $140
2x 5.5'' Buff and Shine MF Cutting Pad - $18
2x 5.5'' Buff and Shine MF Finishing Pad - $18
5'' backing plate - $15
Menzerna FG400 - $35
Nylon pad conditioning brush - $12
Red foam sealant pad - $12

Polishing Subtotal: $250

Chemicals
APC Meg's D101 - $16
Optimum Car Wash - $30
Ultima Waterless Wash+ - $21
Meg's D120 - $20
Werkstat Satin Prot - $15
Blackfire Midnight Sun All Finish Paint Protection - $40

Chemical Subtotal: $142

Tools
2x Bucket w/ grit guard - $40
Microfiber Madness Incredisponge - $15
Speedy Surface Prep Towel - $60

Tools Subtotal: $115

Towels
Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy - $23
5x Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile - $50
Microfiber Madness Cloud Buster - $10
5x MF Utility towels - $10

Towel Subtotal: $93

Grand Total : $600

Little bit over, but I can't find anything on there I'm willing to eliminate.

I really don't think you can get a full starter kit including polishing equipment for $500. If you want to skip the polishing for now, that gives you plenty of breathing room under $500 and I would add a foam gun ($40).

To be honest, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to hold off on the polishing equipment at first. I say this because it'll give you time to learn how to properly wash your car without swirling it. Then when you do get there, you can buy the polishing gear and clean up the swirls you created during the learning process.

There's no sense in polishing right away, then swirling it right back up.

Also, you can read my other thread on technique for your other questions:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307114
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #334
RodParis

and THAT'S why you're the BAGWAN! Thanks for the input, everyone. Okay, assume a guy had $600 and needed to get started... I just grabbed a number knowing that to get in the game is going to require some coin.....

I talked to my dealership tonight about the car care package. Politely declined that and they said no problem. Asked them to drop the original price by $350 (I gave them my Harley trade-in early, they sold it off the floor in 2-days) - either knock the price down by that much, or..... throw in the windscreen, also based on input from the forum. I gave them choice. He said "We'll do one or the other.... I'll let you know".

Fair enough.... Thanks guys

ps - Matt - you may consider adding a "starter kit list" on the original post. I can tell you from experience, it would save some time for folks trying to learn. I didn't mind the reading though since I have no bike and no Camaro!
Dual Exhaust

Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #335
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
I would HAVE to add some wheel tools.... and would keep polishing as a different category. Great list Matt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #336
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I would HAVE to add some wheel tools.... and would keep polishing as a different category. Great list Matt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Agreed.