Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 AM   #295
93oh

Drives: 2017 ZL-1
Car was and is a bargain. The 1le is a track beast and good for Chevy releasing it. None of the zl1s are on the road right now so it's rare to see them as is I look forward to seeing a 1 le in person... I also am waiting for 2.9 whipple but that's just me...
93oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #296
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
You about got it right. However, there are a couple of things to add. First is the 20% incentive. For the most part it is seasonal, as most incentives are like any other sale or promotional offer, they are typically time limited. So, as far as it devaluing the overall market, it's more ebb and flow.

Then there is the used car factor. Even putting 20% off new car MSRP, it's really just starting to touch the depreciation already realized just by registering the car. During the sale it might be a little tougher to unload a used car like this, but come spring, when the demand rises and incentives fade, then the used car market levels out. People buy used cars like this for only one reason, affordability.

But, for the most part you're right. When these things start rolling down the line, and there is a push of folks like yourself that trading in a practically new '17 for the 1LE, the used market will surge with '17's and supply v demand will have it's way for a brief time. But eventually the market will even out as those cars get snatched up, then the avg used price will go back up.
Thanks for taking the time to read and understand my post. I was beginning to wonder if people were reading them, but you've restored my faith.

Market values certainly fluctuate rhythmically throughout the year. I suppose I was more focused on showing the link between the announcement of new models and the (initial) depreciation of the outgoing model, because it seemed to me other posters were having trouble seeing the link if the new model didn't appeal to them personally.

I can't disagree with anything you stated, and I think we can agree that some manufacturers are better than others at controlling the need for major incentives. Obviously I see room for improvement in the case of the Camaro.

Thanks for your post!

Last edited by travislambert; 02-28-2017 at 09:55 AM.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #297
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Thank's for taking the time to read and understand my post. I was beginning to wonder if people were reading them, but you've restored my faith.

Market values certainly fluctuate rhythmically throughout the year. I suppose I was more focused on showing the link between the announcement of new models and the (initial) depreciation of the outgoing model, because it seemed to me other posters were having trouble seeing the link if the new model didn't appeal to them personally.

I can't disagree with anything you stated, and I think we can agree that some manufacturers are better than others at controlling the need for major incentives. Obviously I see room for improvement in the case of the Camaro.

Thanks for your post!
Oh, yeah, I'm sure it is a little scary to buy a new model at MSRP, only to see it incentivized 6 months later at 20%. Enough, probably, to make you scream, "WHY?!!!". However, I think there is a lot under the surface that we can't see. I believe a big part of it is contract pricing with outside suppliers, Multec, Brembo, ad infinitum. In order to achieve that $60-$70K MSRP (a bargain price for what the car can do) GM has to agree to purchase x amount of units at such and such price. So, lowering production numbers just to avoid incentives might be counter productive in the long run for GM.

Add the 'dirty little trick', GM waits just long enough for the true, 'I can't wait for the sale' enthusiast to get their hands on their '17 ZL1, then announce the even nastier version, knowing full well that they are going to sell you another new car this year. They are cruel people at GM marketing, lol.

Either way, just keep this mind. No matter what kind of bath you may take on your car to get the 1LE, you will still be driving a car that can outperform just about any car at 5X the price you paid, bath and all.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #298
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I can't believe people are upset over this..
+1.

Hell give me the Magnetic Ride as an option in the 2018 ZL1/ILE and scratch the Spoiler(but maybe I would get use to that) the car would be perfect for me. It sure is PURTY..
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #299
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I get what you are saying, for most drivers (myself included) you could upgrade the tires and get a good chunk of the performance benefits that the 1LE offers. That's true and for some people that is close enough for their purposes. There comes a point in the learning curve where those benefits can be appreciated though and it's somewhere less than Randy Pobst.
Agreed. Having driven the mag ride, I know it's capabilities. For me, suspension is a wash. The rest of the 1LE could be considered vehicle setup. I just don't see it as a new model as most do, I guess. As soon as the announcement was made I had to ask myself 'would I have bought the ZL1 1LE if it were available'? The answer is 'depends on how much'. If it would have saved me money on custom race wheels and some down force mods, then maybe. But if I could get a more customized aero package and lighter/stronger wheels for the same price or less...then NO. BTW...my wheels are only 18 lbs
Old 02-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #300
ban25

Drives: 2009 Nissan 370Z M6
For what it's worth, those who want a faster track car and don't have this package...just skip the non adjustable DSSV setup and run a set of JRZ RS Pros. Want bigger brakes? Doesn't get much better than AP Racing. Aero? APR Wing & Splitter.
ban25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #301
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Unsure if how true this new info is but the Z28 may be on the way for 2019. Just in case you want to cancel your ZL1 orders. Again, not sure how true this is but here is the link.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-cam...wer-94798.html

Last edited by sspddmn; 02-28-2017 at 08:26 PM.
sspddmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #302
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
Unsure if how true this new info is but the Z28 may be in the way for 2019. Just in case you want to cancel your ZL1 orders. Again, not sure how true this is but here is the link.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-cam...wer-94798.html
That's pretty awesome if true and I for one can't wait to see the new products that GM has instored for us.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #303
travislambert

It'll be officially announced this summer while 100s of people are waiting on their '18 ZL1 1LE orders. JK
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #304
travislambert

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-c...thing-we-know/
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #305
h777

Drives: None
If we combine the above news with Al O. saying the track package is limited run. Could that mean something now?
h777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #306
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
ZL1-1LE & Z28 . Why not just introduce the Z28 as the track warrior and instead offer some type of drag pack option for the ZL1?

Street and strip action is exactly what the vast majority of ZL1 owners will be doing with their cars.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #307
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by h777 View Post
If we combine the above news with Al O. saying the track package is limited run. Could that mean something now?
It will be limited, in the same sort of way as the Z/28 was limited....careful roll out...low numbers driven by economics...but not "limited" as in a fixed production number.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #308
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It will be limited, in the same sort of way as the Z/28 was limited....careful roll out...low numbers driven by economics...but not "limited" as in a fixed production number.
I've watched this "limited production" thing discussed, argued and beat to snot on internet forums for the last 15 years and am firmly convinced that there are many participants on every forum who are just not capable of comprehending the "low numbers driven by economics" concept. Excellent way to explain and define what happens but unfortunately over the heads of some enthusiasts. That is the best explanation I have seen to date condensed into one simple phrase. Good job.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote