Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #281
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I think there is way too much speculating. The ONLY testing i've heard of is the magazines that got to drive the V6. NOT the V8.

Different drivers with different options will get different results just like different drivers with the SAME car will get different results. Some people just are not as good with their sticks as some one else.

My '68 had a Muncie M22. I did very consistent 12.35 1/4 miles. Slightly faster when I put on slicks. This was at an official NHRA track. I can't tell you how many times people at the track would ask me if I had a B&M automatic. My throttle was on the floor all the way to the finish as I went to 4th gear. I'm sure it helped to have bolt-up traction bars on leaf springs.

My point is there are too many variables to say one will out perform the other when there is no physical test performed publicly at this time that I am aware of. Only thing I have seen is someone crunching some numbers based on the weight and performance of the G8. If there is something better out there please show the link.

Either way it's still the stick for me.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #282
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
The Auto has an LS3?

I would have sworn my dog it came with a different engine
GM should have called the engine an LS3a to make things easier... Don't know why they went with a completely different name.. Few would be complaining if it was named Ls3a.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #283
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Yes. Everyone on this board is too excited.

As I have said numnerous times before. The vette was supposed to have the same auto vs stick argument in the 2008 model. The 2008 6 speed auto was tweaked for awesome shift points and increased shift speed. Basically making it near impossible for the 6 MT to best it.

Well 1 year into the 2008 with the LS3 in both cars (with NEITHER detuned from the other). And the MT cars are pulling high 11's showroom stock and the Autos low 12's showroom stock.

Are the autos more consistant SURE. No doubt there. But since the camaro is the sam engine and trans and IRS now they will behave the same way.

And with launch control as long as you can stick the tires and not miss a shift, the MT will outperform. There is just less drivetrane loss period. Its lighter and has slightly more power.

I wouldn't even bother with the magazine tests, wait about 6 months into when people have the actual cars. Then you will see real track times with both.
True Very True! I have seen some youtube vids where the mags testers are not too good. So we'll just have to wait it out and see official numbers around next summer/spring
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #284
CWI
Helping Build America

When is SEMA? That is where chevy is going to reveal options and pricing. Order taking begins October. I'm first on my dealers list. I just dont want one of the line first couple weeks. Would rather crew develops and settles into job. Then again as an inspector myself maybe inspections will be stringent in the beginning.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #285
CWI
Helping Build America

Just looked it up. Early November, so before I get criticized, dealers cant take orders if they don't know the options or prices. That info came from a mag article, shows their missinformation.

I also just read an article in Automobile mag online with an interview with Cheryl Pilcher. She is the Chevrolet Camaro Product Manager. She says accesories will be revealed at SEMA and pricing will be released near the end of the year.

Sorry this is off subject. Just wanted to correct my mistake.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #286
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
I cant help thinking that launch control is a polite term for torque management which keeps you from spinning the tires by robbing the power away on a hard launch or shift. Get it turned off, buy some slicks, and learn to do it the right way.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #287
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I cant help thinking that launch control is a polite term for torque management which keeps you from spinning the tires by robbing the power away on a hard launch or shift. Get it turned off, buy some slicks, and learn to do it the right way.
But if they have to learn to do it the right way, then it will be their fault, not the car's.

I agree with the "no-lift-shifting" about the turbo. You lose almost all the boost when you lift and shift. I don't see the sense in it for the Camaro.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #288
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
"If the front-drive Cobalt SS could apply all the turbo power on launch, it would prune a few 10ths off its 0-to-60-mph runs. Still, it’s quick, at 5.7 seconds, with quarter-miles concluding in 14.2 seconds at 102 mph (the old car ran 6.1 to 60 and 14.6 at 99 mph). Also new: launch control and a “no-lift shift” mode. The engine computer limits revs and finesses the throttle for traction after the clutch dump. It also controls the revs between shifts, so you just keep the gas mashed and scan for cops."

That's how Car and Driver described the Cobalt SS's launch control. It sounds a lot like the theory behind the systems in Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

It controls throttle input and keeps wheelspin to a minimum on launch.

And besides. Torque management was in the auto GTO. Not the manual. And from what I've read launch control is going to be a feature on the manual.

And it's not on all the time. The Cobalt SS has a button you press that engages launch control. You press the button, floor the throttle and dump the clutch and it handles the rest. I know this because just last night I took a test drive.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #289
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I believe there was TM in autos' and manuals. I know that one could see it and manipulate it through HPTuners and LS1Edit and such. I believe it had more influence on autos' though; I know it did on my car. It was not even funny how much influence it had on the car, especially with the few mods' I had done to it.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #290
MajorTom

On GTO boards the manual guys are oblivious to torque management. It's only an automatic thing i'm pretty sure.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #291
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
GM should have called the engine an LS3a to make things easier... Don't know why they went with a completely different name.. Few would be complaining if it was named Ls3a.
im with you on this. mainly cus there has already been an L99 engine from GM
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #292
MajorTom

Yeah, but GM has reused engine names for a long time. So it's not that shocking.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #293
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
TM was on both auto and Man on the GTO's(it's a bosch 3 channel system very nice)....maggie (hp tuners mag stock tune) tunes it out tho.....
so I don't have it anymore....
But I will say...the first FEW weeks I had the car T/C saved my life twice a week.
Unless you've driven this kind of hp before....The car gets away from you quicker then anyone might imagine.
The ZR1 vette comes std with driving school.....because at 600+ hp YOU NEED IT!!!!
Not joking.
If you are driving 70mph and mash the joy pedal the car jumps 4ft to the side....you don't need logic at that point....you need reaction...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #294
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
hmmm what about a 7-speed MCT TM like the one in the SL65, how would that compared to a 6-speed MT

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote