Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oSS View Post
i kinda hope the z28 does come out, i can't wait to beat it!
i was thinking that, but i thought it would be cocky.

you know they will say : i have a warantee! But we say i saved 7-10 k ( tvs packaged SS's with supporting suspension/brake mods)

The Z28 wiil be around the Gt500 pricetag. Ford has set the standard on what people are willing to pay.

Expect a high 40k car , dipping into the low 50'k ...more for those who must have...as stealerships always take the loyal enthusiast who's first for another mark-up. The first should get them cheaper...on the road advertisment. but thats not the American way.

Cheaper than the Gt500....not if its faster. Hell that will be a selling point.

One thing they should use is the magnetic suspesion....look what it did for the 400lb heavier CTS-v as far as "sport car " is concerned, and i can vouch for it feeling not only lighter than it is but more nimber on its feet
than expected even with the whoopla of a Ring record holder.

The V is= to an M3, and better than an M5 ( handling) , for now. Bmw and the rest are scrambling.

For comparison, the SVT Gt500 is better than a M3 and Grand Sport in all the performance number catergories.
acceleration, brakes , handling.....its the total package. Finaly a mustang that beat more than a stripper Vette..( Ford '"i finally invent something that works")

The Z28 has to be a balanced machine. There only proven suspension for Gm is the magnetic controlled...as it can be adjusted on the fly. and in sport. its tight ,razor sharp, yet still offers a compliant ride.....something my lowered , swayed , pedderized and subframed enhanched SS doesn't match up well to. Great for smooth well paved roads...not so hot for rail road tracks..and grooved offramps. potholes and crappy parkinglots!!

Gm,,,this is a no brainer. You screwed us with the GXP G8. So know do the right thing drop the underpinings of the CTS-v COUPE

And Put it under a more Undulated SS body. call it a Z28 ask $49,500. So easy a caveman could do it!
and beat Ford at the top Pony car spot. Has anyone been watching Dodge? do they have a GT500 ..competitor... Srt10 ACR Challenger would be kinda cool.

around 59k thoough
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)

Last edited by Napper; 07-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post
i was thinking that, but i thought it would be cocky.

you know they will say : i have a warantee! But we say i saved 7-10 k.
Not only would it be cocky, it would likely be irrelavent. You would be running a stock car against your modded one. Apples and oranges. So you beat a stocker with all the power adders. Big deal. By the same token you could turbo a V6 and beat a stock SS for far cheaper than an SS. What did you really accomplish?

That 7-10k you save now, might be made up for in collectibility factor. 20 years from now, that stock Z28 would have likely have a major advantage for potentially bringing a higher price than a modded up Camaro SS. It's just how it works. Depends on how well received any new Z28 happens to be.

Too many unknowns to even speculate at this point. GM is normally very tight-lipped about product development. When/if it becomes official, we'll know.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
Napper

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Not only would it be cocky, it would likely be irrelavent. You would be running a stock car against your modded one. Apples and oranges. So you beat a stocker with all the power adders. Big deal. By the same token you could turbo a V6 and beat a stock SS for far cheaper than an SS. What did you really accomplish?

That 7-10k you save now, might be made up for in collectibility factor. 20 years from now, that stock Z28 would have likely have a major advantage for potentially bringing a higher price than a modded up Camaro SS. It's just how it works. Depends on how well received any new Z28 happens to be.

Too many unknowns to even speculate at this point. GM is normally very tight-lipped about product development. When/if it becomes official, we'll know.
And i agree with you about collectibility i guess i should have kept my Ls7! "apples to oranges. " Alex. What people say when they lose. lol ( i'm joking with ya.yeah i know )

However. I'm pushing 50 now.... i could care less what my car is worth if i make it to 75-80.

Not to get to philosophical, but i live for today. Not tomorrow.

Hence why there is a fleet of us with TVS's or other forced induction SS's.
We don't wanna wait nor pay through the nose.

i want a Gt500 killer now....not at the end of 2011 or posibly 2012. dude thats a full one to two years....not months away. Its only July!!!2010
really i think the anticipation would be greater if they actually had a specific release date in mind.

it won't stop those that mod from buying a SS, or twin turboing a V6!

As i've said. its all in the parts bin...use the CTS-v coupe and SS sheetmetal. with revisions to the exterio and interior...

make it like the old f bodies almost identical underneath....Gm's old game of making brother cars across the entire line....now that line is shorter.

as Nike would say to GM

Just do it!!
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)

Last edited by Napper; 07-23-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And I'm sure there have been people who walk up to a 2010 LT Camaro, compliment the guy on his cool new Mustang, and ask if it has a Hemi in it.

As long as a typical enthusiast knows what the differences are, thats enough.
LOL- my boss keeps refering to my car as a Corvette. I know the feeling.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Enough GM officials have made comments about Z28 to make it clear they're working on it. Do a search...

To the OP - yeah... As a natural pessimist, I usually fall into line with your statement; I won't believe it until it's in front of me. For the most part, information GM released about the 5th Generation has been accurate and even a little conservative. I'm keeping the faith. I suspect it'll come as a '12 model and we'll hear something between the winter of this year and spring of next year; I'm hoping to hear something in the Fall of this year, but who knows?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
Napper

Not that its a bad thing to share underpiniings...i actually think its agreat way to be efficient and give the costumer choices.

GM has the parts in house, and an assembly line powerplant to make equal or better power to weight than the Gt500.

i assume thats Gm target vehicle. as its the "niche" they could fill but don't have to.

with a turbo 6 awd plateform coming out of Buick....and Cafe laws......they need to act fast.

MY thinking has changed. i beleive the Z28 will be about soley collectability,,sorta like the GNX Grand Nationals of 87..THE GNX you've seen copies but rarely any of the 400 or so made.

hidden in hermetically sealed garages arcross the states.....Sad, those cars were ment to enjoy...not to be looked at like a musuem piece.

If GM waits, they will have to employ there 5.5 liter motor. CAFE law is gonna be a pain in the rear !
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Not that its a bad thing to share underpiniings...i actually think its agreat way to be efficient and give the costumer choices.

GM has the parts in house, and an assembly line powerplant to make equal or better power to weight than the Gt500.

i assume thats Gm target vehicle. as its the "niche" they could fill but don't have to.

with a turbo 6 awd plateform coming out of Buick....and Cafe laws......they need to act fast.

MY thinking has changed. i beleive the Z28 will be about soley collectability,,sorta like the GNX Grand Nationals of 87..THE GNX you've seen copies but rarely any of the 400 or so made.

hidden in hermetically sealed garages arcross the states.....Sad, those cars were ment to enjoy...not to be looked at like a musuem piece.

If GM waits, they will have to employ there 5.5 liter motor. CAFE law is gonna be a pain in the rear !
As long as what is being shared is good, and I completely agree there are a crate-ful of parts GM can bring over to Z28 that is more than good enough.

I really hope GM won't price the car out of reason; I, too, agree with the comment about the GT500 being the target. I know I wouldn't be one of those to pack the car in the garage and don't drive it. If I'm lucky enough to be in the position to afford one, I'll do some light mods' and take it to the track when I can. It won't be a DD, but I won't hesitate to drive it.

I also agree the sooner the better.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #22
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
You can- but the average person on the road can not. Car people like us are different from the average car owner- we're all kind of sick.
I am by far a mustang enthusiast. . .but with out doing research on the car you can tell a difference between them.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
and what's wrong with a DI 5.5L motor? it would be pushing more power then the 6.2L... I just don't understand why people are so afraid of a smaller displacement DI engine. . .seeing how the 3.6 v-6 is pushing out 312 hp and the 4.3 v-6 that came before it wasn't pushing close to that. . .Everyone praises the v-6 for it's technology and power. why can't we just move on to the same tech in the V-8's? more power more efficient. . .oh well. .

also who says it's going to be a 5.5L? the racing engine is required to be no more then 5.5. . . why would GM limit their production engine do to a racing series?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #24
Napper

nothing wrong with the 5.5 Di motor. Is it certified yet?? if not....then work with what is. the LSA....can be tweaked by a 2300 vs the 1900 magnacharger, and then a cam change better intake and exhaust, reworked headflow..that minor stuff need no recertification. make it a solid 575crank without pushing the mor hard...and not enchroaching on the LS9

( i say this cause i would rationalize if i could a LS9 car with a warrantee for 50k -55k why would i bother buying a 115k Vette to get it)

But once the move to lower cubed motors . There won't be a going back to the BIG CUBE motor.

If your my age. there is something about Muscle cars having a big cubed Muscle ( big block or big cubes)
the LS7 ...oh why oh why did i let her go....that was athing of Beauty!

427 Small block... You can say hasta la vista . Gm is still under government influences...the C7 vette was to be mid engined, thats been pushed back for the C8

the 5.5 DI will make 450 hp. ADD a smallish s/c and easy 575 Crank HP/ on the other hand huff a 5.3 votech with a Ls6 bumpstick.
again all the parts are inhouse and a cam change with blower is an efficiency move.
So nothing wrong with that.

touchy!

fact remains....GM if your listening...use your certified CTS-V coupe drivlline, skimp on the suspension use the V brakes.....and make the car. drop the Camaro body on a s/c LSA with GXP G8 suspensio + coilovers and strut and sway bars and lets go.

All certified.

You like taking a back seat to the GT500 for another 2 years??? wasn't the 8 year hiatus long enough??? i am slightly disapointed.

However i rectified the situation with my own Version of the Z28...don't let the 3 inch tips fool you....its 3inches ( width)back from the LG 1 7/8 3in collector .

The only hint is the exhaust sound and the SS moniker on the side.....Not for show.
Oh and to the observant the ride height. rotors.

i would never put Z28 on my car as it isn't. (though its my interpretation of what performance parameters the Z28 should have)

Last edited by Napper; 07-23-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
nothing wrong with the 5.5 Di motor.

But once the move to lower cubed motors . There won't be the coolness of the BIG CUBE motor.

If your my age. there is something about Muscle cars having a big cubed motor..
the LS7 ...oh why oh why did i let her go....that was athing of Beauty!

427 Small block... You can say hasta la vista . Gm is still under government influences...the C7 vette was to be mid engined, thats been pushed back for the C8

the 5.5 DI will make 450 hp with a smallish s/c an easy 575 Crank HP/
So nothing wrong with that.

touchy!

fact remains....GM if your listening...use your certified CTS-V coupe drivlline, skimp on the suspension use the V brakes.....and make the car. drop the Camaro body on a s/c LSA with GXP G8 suspensio + coilovers and strut and sway bars and lets go.

All certified.

You like taking a back seat to the GT500 for another 2 years??? wasn't the 8 year hiatus long enough??? i am slightly disapointed.

Howeer i rectified the situation with my own Version of the Z28...don't let the 3 inch tips fool you....its 3inches ( width)back from the LG 1 7/8 3in collector .

The only hint is the exhaust sound and the SS moniker on the side.....Not for show.
Oh and to the observant the ride height. rotors.

i would never put Z28 on my car as it isn't. (though its my interpretation of what performance parameters the Z28 should have)
I like your enthusiasm. I don't totally agree with everything, but that's no biggie.

It seems like we agree there are too many good parts GM could integrate onto Z28 that would make it totally capable of competing within it's market. Personally, I'd also like to see the magneto' shocks added, too. Like you said, the LSA/6L90/TR6060 are already there. Tougher driveshaft, diff', and axles and brakes from CTS-V and we're already got a great car. Bump the power up a little, and see about using some more aluminum in the suspension (maybe the crossmembers or something); maybe thinner glass (i.e. like the C5 Z06) and some better tires and we have a winner. It doesn't look that hard to me, but I know nothing about this sort of thing and what it costs, lol. I'll leave it to the professionals

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
I just wish Chevy would give us something to go off.
Maybe we are seeing the effects of the headlights, ABL, and other 'Panics' from the last time they leaked us info?

The blackout of info could be our own fault.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #27
Napper

Goverment influences. Sorry in actuallity GM didn't pay the loan back....the goverment has "shares" in General Motor...alot of shares!

Waiting when all the parts are available is absurd. How much mud in the face do we have to take from Ford, because GM is not going full steam ahead.

The Z28 should be released in November. THIS YEAR.

Gm has dropped the ball. Period. a One hit wonder ( one year wonder)

But the SS is very cool looking that makes up for something.

Radsz28 thanks brother!! i appriect minds thinking alike. Its so simple to make the Z

Last edited by Napper; 07-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #28
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
I'd love to see them bring back the Z28. The 69 was always one of my favorites. If they do bring it back it has to has hideaway headlights or it won't be a Z28 IMO.
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote