Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #15
lem6w3

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A6
2.55 , 8.66

fbo cam and e85
712 rwhp
2.55 upper
9.17 lower
BAP
ID850
Alky Control Meth kit
Flex Fuel
752whp/715wtq (Dyno Dynamics)
DYNO COMP TUNED
lem6w3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #16
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
Did I say anything about a crate motor?
An LSX B-8 is a Built LS3 you can buy assembled. That would be built!
I would describe your setup as "more built" than mine.

A stock engine with a cam and a ported blower like mine is not built... (Especially not "Completely Built" like he wrongly stated)

It made 763 to the wheels (E70, A6) on the DMS dyno and the only person to touch the car besides me is DSX (tune).
I meant that you were built ENOUGH that you could if one wanted to, run the pulley combo you were. The OP would be wasting his time by running 2.55" + 10" without a ported blower, E85, and a big cam (Heads would be helpful too). I wish Ted @ Jannetty would come in here and drop some knowledge on boost and cam stuff for everyone here. Including myself. I'm all ears.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
TTTAPOUT

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I meant that you were built ENOUGH that you could if one wanted to, run the pulley combo you were. The OP would be wasting his time by running 2.55" + 10" without a ported blower, E85, and a big cam (Heads would be helpful too). I wish Ted @ Jannetty would come in here and drop some knowledge on boost and cam stuff for everyone here. Including myself. I'm all ears.
Yeah, that would be nice. I am coming from the turbo world, and I guess throwing boost around isn't the same. In fact, a lot of things aren't the same. I still can't figure out why two $100 fuel pumps cost $1400 to buy for the ZL1! I have two Walbro 430 pumps for my Subaru, and they were cheap and easy to install. What is so different here? Big cams lower your boost? Why? Weird stuff!
TTTAPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #18
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT View Post
Yeah, that would be nice. I am coming from the turbo world, and I guess throwing boost around isn't the same. In fact, a lot of things aren't the same. I still can't figure out why two $100 fuel pumps cost $1400 to buy for the ZL1! I have two Walbro 430 pumps for my Subaru, and they were cheap and easy to install. What is so different here? Big cams lower your boost? Why? Weird stuff!
Boost = Pressure and heat. Things like Porting, Cams, and Heads help that pressure and heat flow much more efficiently. Yes, typically a ZL1 with 16 PSI of boost on stock heads/cam will drop to 13-14 PSI but you're NOT losing that power, you're just losing that pressure and heat that hurts power. An engine is a giant air pump, the more air you can get in and out the better. You're also against an octane wall.

What does this mean for you? Well, you're pretty much pulleyed out with the 2.5" + the 9.1" for general usage. Adding a Ported Blower/CNCed Heads/Cam/E85/Meth will bring you into the ~750-800 RWHP range (depending on how many of the afore mentioned you did) and after that you're onto final details like 5" intakes, 102mm TB, etc. It's all out there, you just got to decide what to spend. Pulleying the little TVS1900 harder isn't going to get you where you want to go.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote