#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #15
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I have a 2013 triple black ZL1 M6 convertible with 28k miles in excellent condition.
Sticker price was $63k. After lusting over info on the new ZL1, I asked the dealer what I could get for my 2013 as a trade in. $36k was their answer.

I mention this just for a point of reference.
There ya go....
Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I've found that the options on a car lose the most in value. Buy a higher tier model with fewer options, that's the best you can do. But know this, you'll still see depreciation.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Vehicles = depreciating assets. UNLESS. 1) collector item. Ei: Vin #001s, celebrity owned etc 2) RARE vehicle, like whole luxury brands/models/years. Ei: McLaren F1, Ferrari f40/f50/dino etc.

As for how much it would depreciate is all a guestimation game. You guys can't really compare the gen5 ZL1 to it's current prices due to the fact that there is a gen6 out even without having the gen6 ZL1 out, the prices on them dropped even lower. I almost bought a 2015 ZL1 instead of fully committing the gen6 2SS. Price for me with NO trade in was 48k and MSRP at 57k. I am willing to bet that's purely because the gen6 got announced.

Let's look at C7s. 2014 1LT z51's still go for 50k+ and they were 58k MSRP in 2013 and 2014 before the price increase mid model year for 2014s. I would assume gen6 ZL1 will be along the lines of that. 3 years later the vehicle lost less than 10k and that's on USED ones. Where as the SS will surely loose some more. Already seeing 51k msrp'd 2SS loaded going for 42k and it hasn't even been a year.

C7 Zo6's have seen a bigger depreciation that the base stringray or the z51. You can get a 2LT or 3LT around low 80s right now on a year old slightly used ones instead of the 95k they are MSRP at the time.

The larger the price the more it will depreciate.

A used C7 zo6 will still cost more than a brand new ZL1. I am willing to bet that the ZL1 new prices will be VERY close to the c7 GS (grand sport) prices. Grand sports do keep their value very well too.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #18
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
For investment purposes cars beat booze and hookers but not much else. Not going to touch the live hard die fast stuff.

There is a current study showing more than 70% of American households would be incapable of handling a 1000 dollar cash emergency. When you think about the houses people live in and the cars they drive it's fairly obvious there is a whole lot of people out there living beyond their means largely through debt.

There isn't any shame in letting someone else take the depreciation hit and getting a clean low mile used example. No crushing debt and you're driving the same car anyways. I'm saying this because reducing depreciation is a smart choice for anyone but taking the full hurt is only a smart choice if you can genuinely afford it. I'm thinking 70% of American households should be looking used.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #19
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
The biggest hammer on the ZL1s, or any newer GM vehicle, depreciating was GMs great 20% off MSRP sales.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
From experience the ZL1 loses just about $10K in trade in value the first year. After that maybe $2-3K per year and then slows down once you get in the 30s.

Plan on it.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #21
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Good info and I hear what everyone is saying, Im buying cash not saying I'm stretching myself but I like to factor these things. For example I buy a new GT mustang for 40K drive off the lot decide I want to expand in a diff direction I loose about 8K that second vs If I bought the SHELBY GT 350 drive off the lot within that first year I could probably sell that car for the 65K i paid for it and over the next three years I see that Shelby holding its value * this is a just incase scenario I like to plan for options .

Regarding the camaro , I see the 2ss taking the biggest off the lot hit the first two years, that the ZL1 still holds drooling collector enthusiast for many years to come So I wonder sometimes if its better if you can do it to go for that rare model .

I still question what that 640 HP feels like as I was extremely happy with the 455 SS but probably would of liked the LE suspension more and brakes.

Scenario
2SS at 48K .. probably a quick drop to 35K
ZL1 65K probably a lesser drop over the years IMO the 6th gen will trump the 5th gen value
1LE probably a little less hit that the 2SS
Shelby probably the best value of all in the long run

I plan to keep everything for a long time Im so excited for this purchase just got the wife a new * used Tucson and she is happy just waiting for my move to finish and than I'll roll the dice for my turn.
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post

All of these cars are a luxury item, even if they're not classified as a luxury car. We don't need the vast majority of the gizmos, gadgets, power, design, etc. We buy and get in to them for the feelings they evoke while driving them. This is not exclusive to the auto performance area either. It's all across the board, with some hobbies costing more than others.

Depreciation is something you accept because you're buying it as a toy, not an investment.

While I would never encourage someone to over extend themselves and I'm sure some fiscally conservative people will be along to hand slap me.. But, money is a medium of exchange and has 0 intrinsic value. It only means something when we use it and while some may get enjoyment from having more commas in the bank than others, that doesn't do it for me. So, spend what you can on things that make you happy and don't worry about if they lose monetary value over the years. If you're not buying/selling them quickly, it's irrelevant and your mental happiness will usually offset it anyways.

Basically, we're only granted a certain amount of years in life. Choose how you spend them and on the things that make you happy. If a high initial cost car that will lose 30% value in 2yrs is something you can stomach because of the joy it will bring you and you're not going to end up destitute from buying it, then why not?
Thankyou. Exactly how u view alot of thing's.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I bought an used ZL1 2013 with 4200 miles on it last year for 40k....

Just saying
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #24
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
All of these cars depreciate big time.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #25
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
Good info and I hear what everyone is saying, Im buying cash not saying I'm stretching myself but I like to factor these things. For example I buy a new GT mustang for 40K drive off the lot decide I want to expand in a diff direction I loose about 8K that second vs If I bought the SHELBY GT 350 drive off the lot within that first year I could probably sell that car for the 65K i paid for it and over the next three years I see that Shelby holding its value * this is a just incase scenario I like to plan for options .

Regarding the camaro , I see the 2ss taking the biggest off the lot hit the first two years, that the ZL1 still holds drooling collector enthusiast for many years to come So I wonder sometimes if its better if you can do it to go for that rare model .

I still question what that 640 HP feels like as I was extremely happy with the 455 SS but probably would of liked the LE suspension more and brakes.

Scenario
2SS at 48K .. probably a quick drop to 35K
ZL1 65K probably a lesser drop over the years IMO the 6th gen will trump the 5th gen value
1LE probably a little less hit that the 2SS
Shelby probably the best value of all in the long run

I plan to keep everything for a long time Im so excited for this purchase just got the wife a new * used Tucson and she is happy just waiting for my move to finish and than I'll roll the dice for my turn.
Don't forget to include the ADM for the Shelby's.

It's the rarity of a car that helps keep the price up.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #26
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
You'll lose about 10% once you drive it off the lot, and then about 5% each year after that for about 5 years. Unless the market dictates differently of course, which it can on a specialty, limited production car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #27
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
You'll lose about 10% once you drive it off the lot, and then about 5% each year after that for about 5 years. Unless the market dictates differently of course, which it can on a specialty, limited production car.
I think that's wishful thinking on the 5% each year. You won't see 5% rates of depreciation until right before the car is fully depreciated.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I have told my kids I am going to die broke but they are going to have one hell of a yard sale when I am gone.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote