The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
PatsRS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Hey Janice, there are lots of choices. I also like HP.
There is a vendor I use that I buy from for my business.
Take a look here.
http://www.microcenter.com/category/...217/HP-Laptops

Sounds like you are casual\business user not into gaming. Most PC's can handle most of what you are doing. Really need to make sure your are compatible with your operating system most of all, especially equipment drivers.

I feel your pain with XP. it has been reliable for so long but now it is holding me back from doing other things. I am going to be making the move soon myself.
BTW I bought my wife an HP I5 running Windows7 cost about $600 with MS office last year for mothers day. Nice machine.

GM ALL THE WAY!

PatsRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
As far as I can tell that looks good except that I'd rather not have one that wide. I can do without the numbers on the side. I guess I am going to have to shut this thing down again here soon. It is almost unresponsive again. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Well if that's the case, (and if you want more portability), maybe a 14" laptop would be a better choice? 14" laptop fits nicely in the lap, anything larger can be a little awkward.

Here's probably something I'd go with personally if I wanted to save a few bills.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834158364

A dedicated graphics card is probably overkill for your needs anyways, that's the reason why this 14" laptop is considerable cheaper, also the 1366x768 resolution. But at 14", I think that's more acceptable than at 15.6".
Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
For the tablet vs. computer question I wouldn't go for a tablet if it would be your only form of Internet. I have a computer and then an Ipad and though I love my ipad, there are just too many things that it doesn't do, or doesn't do well. I love my Macs, Apple Mac computers are extremely user friendly, and they are very reliable computers. My 80 year old grandma (she is the most technologically challenged person I have ever met) has one and she loves it. They are pricey though, but they are great computers. They come in a variety of different sizes, and specs and I am sure you could find one that fits your wants and requirements.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Well Ruby, I am going to throw this out there only because I to have been in your shoes. You may spend a little more but the end-state is what attracted me more. Pick yourself up a Mac. I know you will probably hear some trash talk about Mac, but anyone who has owned one has probably had it forever and still no problems. I have an iMac and its 4 yrs old and still runs GREAT! They make the Macbook Air in several diff sizes starting with the 11" and brand new I think they are around $900.00. You can get a Macbook Pro, which is a little thicker/less portable, that are 13" and up. They are a little more expensive but it depends on what you want in a laptop. You can also buy them refurbished or if you don't mind 10 to 15 dollar's a month payment's, you can finance one.

(http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac).

I used to be a die hard PC nut but I really got tired of upgrading every couple of years. Unless you are a avid Gamer, Mac is the way to go. You can use almost all of the programs out there for PC using the Mac BootCamp program already on the Mac itself. They do take a little getting used to because of the layout for programs but like me I was always using windows. Once you get it, it's too easy and it doesn't take long at all. Since you mentioned that you are interested in taking pictures and video, you can not beat a Mac. Well that is about all I have for you on the subject. I hope that you get what you need and that be the end of it. Honestly, if you purchased a Mac, you would probably never have to purchase another computer.

Now, I'll let the Mac hater's chime in..... LOL
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Tar Heel RS

Drives: 2010 SIM LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
Well Ruby, I am going to throw this out there only because I to have been in your shoes. You may spend a little more but the end-state is what attracted me more. Pick yourself up a Mac. I know you will probably hear some trash talk about Mac, but anyone who has owned one has probably had it forever and still no problems. I have an iMac and its 4 yrs old and still runs GREAT! They make the Macbook Air in several diff sizes starting with the 11" and brand new I think they are around $900.00. You can get a Macbook Pro, which is a little thicker/less portable, that are 13" and up. They are a little more expensive but it depends on what you want in a laptop. You can also buy them refurbished or if you don't mind 10 to 15 dollar's a month payment's, you can finance one.

(http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac).

I used to be a die hard PC nut but I really got tired of upgrading every couple of years. Unless you are a avid Gamer, Mac is the way to go. You can use almost all of the programs out there for PC using the Mac BootCamp program already on the Mac itself. They do take a little getting used to because of the layout for programs but like me I was always using windows. Once you get it, it's too easy and it doesn't take long at all. Since you mentioned that you are interested in taking pictures and video, you can not beat a Mac. Well that is about all I have for you on the subject. I hope that you get what you need and that be the end of it. Honestly, if you purchased a Mac, you would probably never have to purchase another computer.

Now, I'll let the Mac hater's chime in..... LOL
I agree 110% once u go Mac u will never go back
Tar Heel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heel RS View Post
I agree 110% once u go Mac u will never go back
I went with a Macbook Pro

it broke after a year of use
it was a good system while it lasted though. Never going back to mac. Maybe I got unlucky, but like how it normally goes. Bad first experience means I'll possibly never go back to it.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I have my son's mac & use it occasionally & also sometimes use my mother-in-laws mac. I understand just basic stuff on them. I do often get frustrated with things I don't know how to do on them. I don't know if I can use them for our work site as internet explorer is required for that secure site.??????????????????????????
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Tar Heel RS

Drives: 2010 SIM LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigachip View Post
I went with a Macbook Pro

it broke after a year of use
it was a good system while it lasted though. Never going back to mac. Maybe I got unlucky, but like how it normally goes. Bad first experience means I'll possibly never go back to it.
I understand if I had an experience like that I probably would leave it alone too but my whole house has been mac for about 7 years now and I have no complaints or issues at all from iMac, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV, MacBook Air lol you name it i probably have it or have but just go to a store and try some out and see if it works for you
Tar Heel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
RubyCamaro
Jan

Okay I ran the ARO from SPARTAN sui's link above. It says it fixed 100 errors but 700 errors & tweeks remain & it wants me to buy & download to fix the remaining. I told you I am computer handicapped, so do I buy it? Is it expensive? My husband is funny about buying stuff with credit on-line. Paypal????????????
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Macs, a little more expensive? They're A LOT more expensive for what you get. You can get a lot more bang for your buck with a PC. Not to mention they're easily serviceable, in comparison to a Mac, which isn't. I'm biased as I will never own a Mac computer, and I'm a PC Tech, so I don't fix 'em either.

I haven't been keeping up with the laptop world, but looks like the HP ENVY dv6 is about as awesome as it gets, at least from HP. Lets list off the specs and do a bit of a comparison.

HP ENVY dv6-7214nr for $1,200

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...nr-Notebook-PC
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM at 2.4GHz (turbo up to 3.4GHz) Quad Core Processor
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2GB GDDR5) Dedicated Video Card
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 750GB Hybrid Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, faster=better)
  • Bluray drive (DVD burner)
  • 3 USB 3.0 ports (1 2.0 port) & card reader
  • Best part, 1920x1080 resolution, or 1080p in the TV world.

Lets see what you get with a Macbook for the same price.

Macbook Pro 13" for $1,200
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 at 2.5GHz (turbo up to 3.1GHz) Dual Core Processor
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (built into the processor, not very good for intensive applications)
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 500GB Hard Disk Drive (5400RPM, faster=better)
  • DVD Burner
  • 2 USB 3.0 ports, thunderbolt, SD slot
  • 1280x800 resolution

Okay, breakdown of that comparison, you get a WAY more powerful processor with the HP, you get a dedicated video card instead of "onboard", (which blows away the intel HD 4000 graphics) you get twice the amount of RAM, 1.5x the storage capacity, a Bluray player, and best of all, a screen capable of 1920x1080 resolution. Also a larger screen if you want that. I know these two laptops are not a direct comparison, it's just showing what you can get with $1,200 in the PC world vs. $1,200 in the Mac world. You get a much better computer.

I still dislike Windows 8, so I would personally load Windows 7 on the machine. Which is another $140 (for Windows 7 Pro) and a couple of hours of time to do. Which is fine by me.

Last edited by SPARTAN sui; 01-01-2013 at 06:16 PM.
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay I ran the ARO from SPARTAN sui's link above. It says it fixed 100 errors but 700 errors & tweeks remain & it wants me to buy & download to fix the remaining. I told you I am computer handicapped, so do I buy it? Is it expensive? My husband is funny about buying stuff with credit on-line. Paypal????????????
Uh oh, you need to click the green "Download Now" button on the left side of the page.
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...l?tag=main;pop

It seems you clicked on an advertisement. I haven't heard of ARO and I would recommend uninstalling it. Any programs I recommend are all freeware. You want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This program will only scan for Malware on your PC. Almost all programs that "speed up" your PC are scamware. Just a waste of money. If you have to pay for it, you're probably wasting money.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
RubyCamaro
Jan

Okay I think I am getting the right one now. See? I need help. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Totally agree with Spartan Malwarebytes is great freeware program. Also you cannot run internet explorer on a Mac there is no current version for the Mac. If you go with a new laptop stick with a Windows 7 one if possible.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
RubyCamaro
Jan

It appears to have helped so far. And I removed the wrong one too. Thanks everyone! I still may get a new laptop but at least now I can use this one now until then. It is frustrating sometimes to be a computer illiterate baby boomer. But "I get by with a little help from my friends".