Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Oh yeah....that's what I'm talking about. It's a beautiful thing, man!

The yellow throttle body...powder coat? Which "puffer" did you choose...Maggie?

Alfie
Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
thank you...throttle body is painted base coat clear coat....livernois had a maggie in chrome in stock at a great price....they have done my cam and tune already...
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
alfie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
thank you...throttle body is painted base coat clear coat....livernois had a maggie in chrome in stock at a great price....they have done my cam and tune already...
Have you selected which brand of hose and fittings for the SC cooling system upgrade yet? Russell fittings would be a good choice because we wouldn't need an AN-to-NPT adapter at the tank fittings.

I haven't disassembled my system yet. If you have removed yours and have made up a parts list, I have a question for you.

Am I correct that the hose size of entire existing hose system is 3/4"? In other words, the in/out barbs on the rear of the S/C and the barbs on the inlet and discharge of the Maggie pump are 3/4"...correct? If so, we'll need to use 12AN hose.

Therefore, the fittings for the tank connections should be 12AN with a 1/2"-NPT thread.

Alfie
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
bmbbl be

here is a pic with fittings

90 degree 1/2 npt to 12 AN
straight 12AN
pro classic II hose from russell
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
alfie43

Quote:
here is a pic with fittings

90 degree 1/2 npt to 12 AN
straight 12AN
pro classic II hose from russell
As I said in my PM, I am right behind you on this build. I am also going with Russell from Summit. I threw together this quick Photo Shop image of how I need my tank made up and sent it to Canton....waiting for a price quote.

As you already know, I have to use two of these Russell 90* fittings on the tank; 12AN-1/2"NPT. I too, am going to use the Russell Proclassic hose.

Alfie
Attached Images

Last edited by alfie43; 02-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
bmbbl be

those are my original fittings,,,,didnt work,,,,but my new way in post #18 works fine for space
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
alfie43

Well, it looks like there are too many issues for this tank to work. First, I need to have it custom made and Canton is taking way too long just just provide me with a quote, not sure how long it'll take to fabricate.

Also, even with a custom tank made to the specs a gave them, it just doesn't fit in that area the way it should. Also, the hose arrangements are not ideal for efficient flow to the pump.

I'm going to have to do something different. The solution; I called Roto-Fab. Once again, Roto-Fab reaffirmed their reputation for great products and excellence in customer service. A custom made Roto-Fab S/C coolant tank will be on it's way soon.

Details to come in a future post.

Alfie
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
Well, it looks like there are too many issues for this tank to work. First, I need to have it custom made and Canton is taking way too long just just provide me with a quote, not sure how long it'll take to fabricate.

Also, even with a custom tank made to the specs a gave them, it just doesn't fit in that area the way it should. Also, the hose arrangements are not ideal for efficient flow to the pump.

I'm going to have to do something different. The solution; I called Roto-Fab. Once again, Roto-Fab reaffirmed their reputation for great products and excellence in customer service. A custom made Roto-Fab S/C coolant tank will be on it's way soon.

Details to come in a future post.

Alfie
Hey Alfie,
I've been lurking since you started this thread. What kind of time frame did roto-fab give you?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
another solution

Never mind, I just saw your pics and you've got a bracket very similar to mine using the original bottle.......

I'll try to post pics tonight. I used the original reservoir bottle and moved it with a custom bracket I made. I haven't given it much thought but I can easily make more brackets for anyone who is interested.
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Hey Alfie,
I've been lurking since you started this thread. What kind of time frame did roto-fab give you?
talked with alfie this morning he got his tank in painted to match car ,,,i have same tank coming only hydro coated,,,,mine will arrive later this week,,,,roto-fab stocks the tanks,,,,alfie and mine took longer for cosmetics
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #25
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Thanks bmbbl be. I talked with roto-fab, and she sent me some pics of the tank. I have a whipple, and I believe this would work for that as well. The whipple uses 5/8" hoses. I'm not sure if that is what the maggie uses. From the pics that she sent, I couldn't tell where the outlet was and how the tank mounted. Any idea? I know that you haven't received yours yet. I also want to use it with the CAI air box. It looks like it should still fit. I'm thinking of getting a custom aluminum tank made though.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks bmbbl be. I talked with roto-fab, and she sent me some pics of the tank. I have a whipple, and I believe this would work for that as well. The whipple uses 5/8" hoses. I'm not sure if that is what the maggie uses. From the pics that she sent, I couldn't tell where the outlet was and how the tank mounted. Any idea? I know that you haven't received yours yet. I also want to use it with the CAI air box. It looks like it should still fit. I'm thinking of getting a custom aluminum tank made though.
RF tank is 3/4..but i'm sure you could get fittings to downsize it...the tank mounts on the tab on the strut tower and also on the bottom it goes into a factory hole....outlet on top and bottom...it will work with a rotofab airbox

here is a pic from roto-fab
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Thanks. I checked both the Maggie and the Whipple, and they both use 3/4" heater hose. This tank also looks like it would fit the CAI, since both of their boxes look like they mount the same.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
alfie43

Quote:
talked with alfie this morning he got his tank in painted to match car ,,,i have same tank coming only hydro coated,,,,mine will arrive later this week,,,,roto-fab stocks the tanks,,,,alfie and mine took longer for cosmetics
I am posting at 35,000 feet on a delta flight.

My custom painted tank has arrived and it is beautifully done. Roto-Fab told me that both bmbbl be's hydo coated tank and my painted tank are "prototypes" and they are not available yet....only black tanks. RF wants to see how the custom finishes hold up to constant temp changes and the presence of glycol.

Steve,
I changed my mind on the SS braided hose and I am going to wait until I get home to order my hose and fittings. I will check with Summit on the hose that you referred to me.

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 03-05-2012 at 08:42 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote