Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Agree, when I get a new ride I am there when it is still in plastic. My truck dealer had a touchless/blow dry wash and I let them us it once the plastic was off. On my future new C or Vet I will not let the dealer wash it off the truck unless it is the same set up.

Once you take the car do not let the dealers wash them...some people take them home dirty off the truck but you really need to have the dealer go over it to assure no damage..just let them know how you want it washed and bring your own mf towels for them to use.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Agree, when I get a new ride I am there when it is still in plastic. My truck dealer had a touchless/blow dry wash and I let them us it once the plastic was off. On my future new C or Vet I will not let the dealer wash it off the truck unless it is the same set up.
Just an FYI, touchless is not necessarily a good thing. Click here to find out why.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Your have basically a new car...so don't do anything to the paint that you don't have to...remember polishing with any type of abrasives...REMOVES paint (by leveling it)...don't let anybody kid you on that. How much you remove and to what extent you HAVE to remove is the question...in order to get that "like new" finish. Hopefully you only need a finishing polish with zero cut.

I also have a new Camaro...and the ONLY thing that it needs is to be washed at this point. The paint is near perfect and I don't need to run some machine over the paint...just because I can. I did clay the car when it was new to get the delivery crud off of it...and polished it with a jeweling polish that has zero cut. With a little luck, all I will only have to do is wash the car weekly...wax every 4 months...and maybe do a polish 2x a year (max) with a zero cut polish and pads with zero cut.

Older cars with tons of scratches and swirls....another story. You should not need a whole lot to do.

Gramps,

What jeweling polish did you use and was this a hand process? I have saw this term a few times and am not sure what the difference is in polishing and jeweling. How can this work with zero cut?

I used a PC and the Adams fine machine polish on my new car. It looked significantly better, after I finished this process. I understand that you remove a little clear coat when polishing the car. But based on some of the measurements that I saw in one of Todd's post, the amount of clear coat that is removed is very small. He used a meter to take measurement before and after polishing. His data showed minimal paint removal. If you can achieve the same results without polishing and removing any paint, I would love to learn how.

Thanks
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 AM   #18
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
... If you can achieve the same results without polishing and removing any paint, I would love to learn how.

Thanks
You can't.

You can use glazes to fill in the damage and attempt to hide it but to actually remove the damage in your paint, you have to remove the layers of clear coat or paint that contain the actual damage. Sorta like peeling the skin on a onion. This is the reason once you completely remove all of the damage in your paint, you want to then use practices that will NOT require you to continually have to repair your paint. There is only so much clear coat or paint on your car and although the PC removes the smallest amount at a time, you still want to refrain from removing any at all if possible.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #19
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Meguire's, Optimum, and Griot's Garage is all I see Gramps talk positively about. But specifics; Never seen him mention any. Not bashing, just an observation.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #20
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Just an FYI, touchless is not necessarily a good thing. Click here to find out why.
Trust me Junkman I am with you on that. That is why I did not let them wipe it down. Thet had a blower system. I did it out out dumb luck as I had not seen your vid at that time!...

When I see a post of touchless wash I always warn not to wipe it down..and tag your vid..Thanks for the Vids. Between you, Adam and the forums I have learned a lot about proper car care and the vids are fun too!
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Glad we could help.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Your have basically a new car...so don't do anything to the paint that you don't have to...remember polishing with any type of abrasives...REMOVES paint (by leveling it)...don't let anybody kid you on that. How much you remove and to what extent you HAVE to remove is the question...in order to get that "like new" finish. Hopefully you only need a finishing polish with zero cut.

I also have a new Camaro...and the ONLY thing that it needs is to be washed at this point. The paint is near perfect and I don't need to run some machine over the paint...just because I can. I did clay the car when it was new to get the delivery crud off of it...and polished it with a jeweling polish that has zero cut. With a little luck, all I will only have to do is wash the car weekly...wax every 4 months...and maybe do a polish 2x a year (max) with a zero cut polish and pads with zero cut.

Older cars with tons of scratches and swirls....another story. You should not need a whole lot to do.
How exactly do you "polish" with zero cut pads and polish???? The very definition of polish is removing clear to level out the surface... You say don't let anybody kid you about polishing removing clear (not paint hopefully), but I don't think any of us are in denial about that- it's what needs to be done. Now, how exactly you're doing it the other way, I'm eager to learn.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
Kunihiro

Drives: 2010 Charcoal Gray, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
I asked one of these questions a bit ago but thought I would have a new thread to get the correct answers on these several questions. First of all my paint is in really good shape, car sleeps in a garage and is NOT a DD.
1) What would be a step by step to get the best showroom shine? I know wash, dry, clay. The steps afterwards and the name of each product. I will be using a pc 7424. I have watched some of Junkman's videos but are still unsure on these steps. Thanks guys

If you're going Porter Cable, here's where I buy the majority of my stuff:

http://topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html
Kunihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunihiro View Post
If you're going Porter Cable, here's where I buy the majority of my stuff:

http://topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html
Yea, but if you have any issues with your order or you simply don't like the product, will they totally refund the purchase price with no questions asked if you request it? Adam's does, and they're a site sponsor.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Yea, but if you have any issues with your order or you simply don't like the product, will they totally refund the purchase price with no questions asked if you request it? Adam's does, and they're a site sponsor.
Adam's FTMFW!!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #26
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
I am sure there are lots of folks who sale good products. They may even be cheaper. However, These guys are always here to answer questions and they support this site that we all enjoy. That is why I buy Adams.

...And you get a pretty little sticker with each order.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Don't ever underestimate the power of a free sticker
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #28
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Don't ever underestimate the power of a free sticker