Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 10-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Personally, I think it is a great form of protection for he front end of the car.

I installed one when my wife and I took our recent road trip. Sure it looks goofy. So what, when we got home, I didn't have any chips or debris attached to the front of Rosie.

Cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
RedBarchetta

Drives: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Here is the Colgan car bra on my 2010

I'd like to open the debate door a little wider, especially on this Colgan offering. If you have ever driven the six hours of I-5 between L.A. and Frisco, then you know exactly why a portable/removable bra is a realistic option. The bug removal alone...you might as well break out the steel wool. I recently rented a black Suburban for this trek and I'm telling you that the entire front end of that truck was t-r-a-s-h-e-d bad due to the bugs.

My question is this. Does anyone make a bra that has the mesh inserts for the grill/duct openings? The Colgan offering clearly protects the paintwork (and fits well!) but the condensor/radiator and the corresponding plastic trim around each duct would still get peppered bad.

Trust me...bras on cars look gay. But I don't mind looking gay for six hours on an interstate where I'm passing people that I'll never see again.

Oh, and I have the clear stuff in front of the rear wheel wells on the Cobra. It saves the paint but it still nicks and looks like shiaat after a while. There really is no stopping the pain, but both methods described here are good deterrents and nothing more.

-Dean
RedBarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
never understood why people put those on there car.. i mean it looks so shitty
Long road trips, and most important LOVE BUG Season you leave them on your can any longer than a few hours kiss your paint good bye. For the month of May and September a bra is a must I can trave from my house to work and have well over 100 love bugs on my car easy maybe more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I agree- This car is just too good looking to goof up with a bra. Any bug I've ever gotten on my car just washes off with soap and water.
True bugs will wash off down here in Central Florida we have these little guys called Love Bugs and w/in a few hours they will F#@K up your paint. Not to mention if I spend 4 hours detailing the car and I am heading to car show I want to keep the front end clean to limit my final prep time for a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
My question is this. Does anyone make a bra that has the mesh inserts for the grill/duct openings? The Colgan offering clearly protects the paintwork (and fits well!) but the condensor/radiator and the corresponding plastic trim around each duct would still get peppered bad.
-Dean
You can add mesh for the grille you could use velcro to attach it to the back side of the bra for easy on and off.

You can even contact them and see if they can add it to yoru bra for a extra charge all of them are custom made to order.

Sean
Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
RedBarchetta

I grew up in Maitland....totally understand the Love Bug thing. And I don't miss them either.
Thanks for the response/ideas, Sean.

If I was still in Central Florida, I'd consider a layering approach to waxing like a Zaino or something else that actually binds itself to the paint. Some of the synthetic waxes do the same thing. All those thunderstorms + love bugs = PITA to keep a finish looking nice in Lightning Town.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
I grew up in Maitland....totally understand the Love Bug thing. And I don't miss them either.
Thanks for the response/ideas, Sean.

If I was still in Central Florida, I'd consider a layering approach to waxing like a Zaino or something else that actually binds itself to the paint. Some of the synthetic waxes do the same thing. All those thunderstorms + love bugs = PITA to keep a finish looking nice in Lightning Town.
Thanks the bra will run you if I recall $160
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
RedBarchetta

$160 isn't that bad. It's my kids' car (just taking care of it for him while he's away at school). This would be his reaction if I coated it with a nice thick layer of bug splat...

People who have never experienced the South or places where love bugs proliferate have no freakin' clue how corrosive their splats are to normal paint (even waxed paint). Toxic guts. Should bottle the stuff and put the makers of Gorilla glue out of business.