#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The stock links are designed to twist to allow the articulation through the suspension stroke. Going with rigid links means you need a spherical bearing to give the freedom of movement.

The Moreno concept drawing looks good. The threads are close to the pivots to maintain a stiff link. They'll provide very consistent kinematics, that's for sure. As long as the spherical bearing they specify has good weather resistance, it'll be a winning product.
I just got learned! Thank you sir, that makes so much more sense now!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I just got learned! Thank you sir, that makes so much more sense now!!!
You're welcome! Knowing is half the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Out of curiosity, are the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE arms any different? If theyre the same and can handle the extra power, weight and grip (in the case of the ZL1 1LE) then I'd say there is no need to change em.
IIRC it's bushing durometer changes for the ZL1 1LE control links (and of course the front camber plates w/spherical bearing and aluminum sub-frame bushings). **source needed**

The way the multi-link is designed, the links are aligned to be in compression or tension for major force vectors, which is of course how they're strongest. The amusing part is the stiffer the bushings, the more the links will be forced to twist during suspension stroke. The total twisting torque will impart stiction to the suspension, so there's a practical limit to how stiff the bushings should be. This is mainly why solid polyurethane bushings are almost always a bad idea, as they'll bind the links and make the car handle unpredictably. Poly can be used in certain locations, but as a rule in a multi-link they're a bad idea.

There's a bunch of videos out there, but this one on the development of the very first mass market multi-link is good, and also good for some CRT old school LOL's.

This is why going to a rigid link needs a spherical bearing, but like you said, their road service life is relatively short. Having a teflon lining helps significantly, but not to the point where they'll be common in production. The fact that the ZL1 1LE's camber plates have any sort of spherical bearing is rather remarkable, and should indicate how serious GM is that it's definitely not designed to be a daily driven road car.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Ak1LE

Drives: 17 white 1LE
From what i read the zle 1le is using solid bushings and hard mounting everything as well
Ak1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak1LE View Post
From what i read the zle 1le is using solid bushings and hard mounting everything as well
The translation for that is:
*rubber control link bushings lack voids, hence "solid"
*camber plates and rear subframe no longer have rubber bushings, hence "hard".
Old 07-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #19
Ak1LE

Drives: 17 white 1LE
yeah thats what I expect lol. FYI not new to cars just this platform. The last gm car i owned was a third gen Trans am that had a 383 and t56 swap.
Ak1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You're welcome! Knowing is half the battle.

IIRC it's bushing durometer changes for the ZL1 1LE control links (and of course the front camber plates w/spherical bearing and aluminum sub-frame bushings). **source needed**

The way the multi-link is designed, the links are aligned to be in compression or tension for major force vectors, which is of course how they're strongest. The amusing part is the stiffer the bushings, the more the links will be forced to twist during suspension stroke. The total twisting torque will impart stiction to the suspension, so there's a practical limit to how stiff the bushings should be. This is mainly why solid polyurethane bushings are almost always a bad idea, as they'll bind the links and make the car handle unpredictably. Poly can be used in certain locations, but as a rule in a multi-link they're a bad idea.

There's a bunch of videos out there, but this one on the development of the very first mass market multi-link is good, and also good for some CRT old school LOL's.

This is why going to a rigid link needs a spherical bearing, but like you said, their road service life is relatively short. Having a teflon lining helps significantly, but not to the point where they'll be common in production. The fact that the ZL1 1LE's camber plates have any sort of spherical bearing is rather remarkable, and should indicate how serious GM is that it's definitely not designed to be a daily driven road car.

Hey bud, great post! I couldn't had said it better myself.

BTW, on a side note, I might be mistaken but think I read a post where you were looking to get Forgeline wheels.

If you did and have some pictures I can get from you, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Justin
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote