Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
No the problem is all of the blown engines I have seen were because people were taking them to 7200 RPM or Higher (places that the engine not safe for the engine to go to) 7000 RPM is a limited RPM for a reason.

That's what I love about Camaro5 people love to twist things on this site. I said "Beating on it like a moron" translation for you "TREATING THE CAR LIKE SHIT, LITERALLY BEATING ON THE CAR, NOT JUST DRIVING IT HARD, PRETENDING IT IS A CHEATING WIFE AND BEATING UNTIL IT BLOWS UP"

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...his-motor.html

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...22#post9256222
Sorry didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Sadly you are the one with the wrong info not me.
1. Evolution blew up there motor NOT Lethal.
2. The 2013 DOES have forged rods.
3. The op said during a "spirited" 4th gear pull you said and I quote
you "TREATING THE CAR LIKE SHIT, LITERALLY BEATING ON THE CAR, NOT JUST DRIVING IT HARD, PRETENDING IT IS A CHEATING WIFE AND BEATING UNTIL IT BLOWS UP"

I guess your right camaro5 members (YOU) do like to twist things.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Sorry didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Sadly you are the one with the wrong info not me.
1. Evolution blew up there motor NOT Lethal.
2. The 2013 DOES have forged rods.
3. The op said during a "spirited" 4th gear pull you said and I quote
you "TREATING THE CAR LIKE SHIT, LITERALLY BEATING ON THE CAR, NOT JUST DRIVING IT HARD, PRETENDING IT IS A CHEATING WIFE AND BEATING UNTIL IT BLOWS UP"

I guess your right camaro5 members (YOU) do like to twist things.
The 2013 does not have forged rods it has powder forged rods just like the 2007-2012, the same weak link in the 5.4L GT500's

He drives like a idiot also, shifts at 7,200 rpm and hammered it probably 1,100 of the 1,300 miles it lived thru.

Reading past the first post is always a good idea, it's how you know if someone has posted more information…

I'm aware that Lethal didn't blow up the engine that is why I corrected myself….
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
NASTY99Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
THE GT500 ISN'T FULLY FORGED, anyone with a brain knows that the rods are powder forged, the one major weak link of the engine….
Powder forging is still forged its just not the best type of forging so your wrong AGAIN.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Powder forging is still forged its just not the best type of forging so your wrong AGAIN.
I noticed YOU'RE pointing out all the points that I'm wrong but not correcting where you were wrong. With the stated fact that the one guy is like a priest the way he was raping his car…

I'll admit while powder forging is technically forging, most of the people that I know with GT500's do not agree it is fully forged because of the shitty powdered rods.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Does anyone know why both Ford and Chevrolet went with powder forged rods in their FI engines? There has to be some advantage.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
NASTY99Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Does anyone know why both Ford and Chevrolet went with powder forged rods in their FI engines? There has to be some advantage.
Even though it's not the strongest of the forging methods it's still a very strong rod thats cheaper to produce and holds up to alot of power as seen in many ls and mod motors.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
islander033
SLOBRA1

Drives: GT500/Cruze/DMax/Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Cost / rod. I think most people would pay extra for better rods though...
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If GM has one "Best Feature" (I think they have several), it's their powertrain department...especially their V8s.

I haven't heard of any blown LSAs, and like someone mentioned earlier - this motor has been in CTS-Vs for a couple of years already. I don't think we're bound to hear of any soon unless people are pushing some crazy-ridiculous amount of power that we'd all hear the story and go "ohhhhhh...."

The LSA is a STOUT engine. It's been 24-track tested in both the CTS-V and the ZL1...dyno tested @ WOT for more than 260 consecutive hours without failure, and accumulated more than 6000 hours of total dyne testing. 6000 hours is the equivalent of 390,000 miles at 65mph....and you can bet they weren't "easy" hours, either. It's also worth mentioning that the car (and thus, the engine) underwent a torture test including ~600 redline clutch-dumps...

What criticisms is has lodged against it are for parts alone, most notably the hypereutectic pistons...but what the critics fail to grasp (or just don't care) is this alloy isn't inherently flawed in any well-built engine, and the silicon content (and construction) can be changed to achieve different levels of strength depending on what the application calls for. (i.e. the pistons in the LS3 AREN'T the same pistons in the LSA, etc).
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Any blown up ZL1 engines yet?

I heard a rumor that one was blown up by the Taliban with a roadside bomb.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Lmao
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
This, This literally made me laugh out loud.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
LOL. I was asking myself this same very question a few nights ago. It seems to me most reasonable shops would really advise their customer that beyond a certain point, a forged short block is necessary, and that might be part of the reason why we don't hear too many of these stories.

Also - I believe LSA is also used in marine applications, too, which should also point to how sturdy they are.

IOM' - you seem pretty dark lately. More than one post I can recall reading has been a little on the negative side. I hope everything is okay. I wouldn't paint such a broad brush as you suggest though; I do see the point you were miking, however.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #27
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
It take a lot to blow any LS motor...they take a lot of abuse.

The GT500's 5.8L may pump more power but for a 4V DOHC $20K engine, I would hope so.

....And you can't readily find them for sale.

The LSA powerplant is a great example of GM's ability to make power out of $$. They didn't need a forged bottom end for boost...the LS1 aftermarket showed them that......Ever hear of an LS1 with a broken crank?
Where esle can you buy a 550+ boosted HP engine (with upside) for $8,500....and they're in stock and come with a great warranty. And thats a critical item, the warranty......you can't buy ANY 500+hp boosted engine ANYWHERE with a warranty....and its CA emissions compliant.

The ford is overbuilt and expensive. The LSA is engineered with purpose and optimized for affordbility.

Its a good candidate when considering re-powering an SS.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #28
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
GM didn't make the LSA engine just to have a blown one in a few months.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote