Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I simply could not do that to my Camaro. Growing up (and learning to drive) in upstate NY was a blast, but the winters absolutely wrecked (sometimes literally) all the automobiles I had (4 in all). I realize the salt isn't as caustic as it used to be way back then, and materials used in cars are more resistant to the road chemicals, but still... I left there 33 years ago and haven't missed winter driving one bit.

The salt still eats away at a lot, but don't have a choice need to drive in snow. But good waxing in fall and oil spray every year seems to really keep it away. The worst thing I found was actually washing my car in the winter. I used to wash my old car nearly every 3 days in the winter and it was just covered in rust. After doing some research discovered that it's actually bad to wash your car often in the winter because dry salt isn't corrosive, salty water is. This was also confirmed by my university professors a few years later. Felt pretty stupid after I figured that out, thinking all that washing was good to keep the salt away, was actually doing more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
What's snow?

I knew it was coming

Wonder if anyone happened to notice the thread tags ?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Drift mode: (ON) OFF

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Nice pictures! I love the signature. I'm not a fan of snow, but it is pretty fun. If it weren't for the fact it's almost impossible to wash and keep my car clean during these months I think I would be okay with winter.

I don't have anything from this year yet, but here's what I have from last year.

The weather wreaking havoc on my HUD

I also have a picture of my radio showing -28*F one morning. It caused my power steering to bust a clamp and lose its fluid.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Haha I love driving mine in snow, the car isn't the problem...or the road...
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryv6 View Post
Oldschool you should come visit NE Ohio, Michigan and Illinois. We'll give your winter a run for it's money.
...of you know dat for sure! You got snow fo' sure bro compared to us. CA has us beat hands down. My post lamented about the OP who had a DD pilled up in the white stuff already, and we have candy asses putting car covers on theirs in the garage for a non harsh winter location in the US for no reason other than to post a pretty picture about it hahahahaha.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
On Saturday, had to go help my buddy move. Brushed the snow off the Camaro, scraped the windows, and enjoyed the slideways!

I have full set of winters on, but, I could still break the back end loose in third on command. Also: I respond before the stability control does... That was somewhat surprising. I swear I'm going to get a ticket for drifting at some point this winter.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #21
EaZ8

Drives: CTS
anyone driving a SS in the winter in ontario canada? im going to need to scoop up some winter tires and rims if i end up buyin it.
EaZ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
I knew it was coming

Wonder if anyone happened to notice the thread tags ?

I think the third one applies to me
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #23
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
Supposed to see the first few inches here in Pittsburgh tomorrow evening. Had to take off my nice wheels and put the old stock steelies on with my winter tires tonight. Boooo! I just put on an intake over the weekend, was enjoying a little extra gusto, now put on these heavy wheels and tires to negate it all ha! Ah well, something to look forward to in spring...
Scuba, where are you? I'm in Monroeville. Just got my Blizzak's mounted up today too.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
snymat68

No pictures, but had about 2" of the white stuff this morning. Glad I had the Blizzak's mounted yesterday. My driveway is sloped up to the road at the end. I spun a little on my way up, but then... posi! Haha. Since this is the first winter I've driven this car and also a new set of tires I've never run before, I need to find a big empty parking lot somewhere and get a feel for this girl all over again. Should be a fun winter as long as the other yoohoo's on the road behave.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
WoW... and it's just finally cooling off here. Was running the A/C just last week.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
snymat68

Some hibernate their Camaros for winter. I hibernate the A/C in my Camaro for winter.
Aesthetic Mods
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz

This is from last year. I have no garage for my Camaro, so it has to stay outside all the time. I never drove it while the roads were covered yet, I have my Ford Ranger for that, but I do drive it when it's dry out in the winter.

Even if I had a garage to store it in, I could not fathom NOT being able to drive it for 5 months or so. I don't know how you guys can store your Camaros all winter and not drive them. I feel bad for my Camaro if I don't drive it at least 5 times a week. It just seems to get a sad look when it just sits there, not being driven. LOL.
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post

This is from last year. I have no garage for my Camaro, so it has to stay outside all the time. I never drove it while the roads were covered yet, I have my Ford Ranger for that, but I do drive it when it's dry out in the winter.

Even if I had a garage to store it in, I could not fathom NOT being able to drive it for 5 months or so. I don't know how you guys can store your Camaros all winter and not drive them. I feel bad for my Camaro if I don't drive it at least 5 times a week. It just seems to get a sad look when it just sits there, not being driven. LOL.
Aesthetic Mods

Tags
snow, snow driving, what is snow? i'm from florida