#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #239
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
I would certainly like to know when I can order my 2017 1LE. Anybody got inside info please PM me
Check this thread and the 1LE pricing thread. A lot of info there.

The consensus is that the timetable will be similar to the 2016 release, which means ordering sometime in the summer (maybe late) with a November/December delivery.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #240
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Back to the norm! I'm starving for more 1LE info. Can't believe we got nothing new about the 1LE at NY!
Old 03-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #241
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Back to the norm! I'm starving for more 1LE info. Can't believe we got nothing new about the 1LE at NY!
Yeah, big disappointment. Guessing they didn't wanna take anything away from the ZL1...bad move IMO.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #242
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Don't get me wrong if I had the money I might feel the exact same way, but what all are we getting here over the 1LE? Obviously HP but to me it's hard to justify the price that it will likely fetch if that's really the only big difference.

Personally I wouldn't be in the market for the Auto so that doesn't interest me. I'm not seeing much here over the 1LE outside of the 2SS luxury and some more aero bits.

Don't get me wrong I see this as more of a blessing for the 1LE than a knock on the ZL1 but we share several parts

-Recaros
-Perf. Data Recorder
-Perf. Traction Management
-Electronic Limited Slip Diff.
-20X10(285's) front, 20X11(305's) rear
-FE4 Magnetic Ride Control

Things I'm not sure about. What is the spring setup on the ZL1 it could be lower than the 1LE and I'm sure spring rates may vary up front to cope with the extra weight on the nose. According to GM's own imaging the rear wing isn't applying any down force. So I doubt there is much difference in it's performance and the dove tail on the 1LE.

The great thing about this whole discussion is the fact that we are referencing stratospheric performance from cars that could only be dreamt of by the average joe ten years ago. When the 6th Gen was announced I was less than excited, especially when I saw an SS in person, simply because I didn't have that visceral reaction I had when I first saw a ZL1 in person. Then the 1LE was announced and it was unbelievable to me that with only a few small visual upgrades the car could look so badass! I was sold.....but patiently waiting to see what the ZL1 would look like. Then the ZL1 was announced and I initially thought it looked really cool, but wasn't totally blown away. Then, slowly, the more I looked at pics, saw different colors via photoshop, saw different angles, looked a bit more at the wheels, saw the subtle upgrades like the wider front fender, etc......it became more and more awesome. Now I'm just dying to see one in person. We as car enthusiasts will now and forever go toe to toe about a car being a tenth quicker 0-60, or two tenths quicker per lap on a race track.....it's just in our DNA. For me, it's more of a love affair with the highest performance I can afford coupled with how a car looks (for me that is 80% of the purchase decision). I don't track my cars, but I do take my ZL1 out just about every weekend for a "spirited" drive in the mountains. It's an absolute blast! I don't race anybody on the street, not because I worry about losing (I might win half and lose half, I don't know), but because I don't really care about going straight for a few seconds to see who's faster. Plus, I don't want to get a nasty ticket! This is purely one person's humble opinion. For others, going to the drag strip or track is their focus and that's awesome so they'll have to decide which car suits them. That was a long road to a small house......the bottom line is these are both terrific cars with amazing performance and will both be a blast to drive. Whatever you decide to buy I don't think you can go wrong.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #243
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yes, but a "wing", as I've come to know it...is defined as utilizing the airfoil effect. Usually used on cars to create downforce....aircraft to create lift. A spoiler "spoils" or disrupts airflow to achieve some aerodynamic end.

In this case, the item on the back does not appear to be designed with an airfoil in mind, so I said spoiler.

Is that incorrect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Yep. A wing, to some effect, does spoil some air behind a car. Why and how it's employed is moot to determining it's name. The fact that air can pass under it is what makes it a wing.

You have an airplane. It's wing allows air to pass over and under it. Its flaps are spoilers to direct desired airflow over/under and behind the wing that not only create lift, but can also reduce lift.... airflow *around* the wing (or car). There would be a much bigger pocket of air behind the ZL1 if air could not get under the rear wing.... and I bet this was a much debated decision, aerodynamically speaking (as it is also sticking off the side of the car).

--kC

Just to clear a few things up gentlemen....

A wing on a race car has similar camber and curvature to an aircraft wing, but UPSIDE down so it is producing lift DOWNWARDS....

It creates a pocket of fast moving low pressure air under the car wing that sucks the wing DOWN, and since its attached to the car, the car rear end receives aerodynamic downforce.

A dovetail spoiler is angled up into the airflow... when the air hits this spoiler, it is deflected up.... By Newtons 3rd Law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction... thus to force the air to deflect the air up pushes down against the spoiler and the rear end attached to it... again aerodynamic downforce, but in a different fashion.

Spoilers tend to create more drag, due to the disturbed airflow seperating roughly at the back of the car...

The Spoiler upside is less weight and complexity....

And on the 6th Gen Camaro, a way better looking ass
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #244
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Your last line is a matter of taste. Lol.

Camaros should have spoilers and not wings. Lol
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #245
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Your last line is a matter of taste. Lol.

Camaros should have spoilers and not wings. Lol
At least on the new ones, I agree...the standard SS wing is not shaped well. I like the spoiler on the SS 1LE much more.

But, on the third gen Camaros, I really like the larger wing on the '91 and '92 Z28's better than the small lip spoiler the years before had.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #246
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The wings on the Camaros have a functional airfoil cross section...it's more dramatic on the ZL1 than the SS. But it works...while generating less drag.

I'm not a huge fan of "wings" on cars...but if it works, I like it...and it seems to be the case with these cars.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #247
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
OK, we're officially in Q2. Where's my info!
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #248
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
The wings on the Camaros have a functional airfoil cross section...it's more dramatic on the ZL1 than the SS. But it works...while generating less drag.

I'm not a huge fan of "wings" on cars...but if it works, I like it...and it seems to be the case with these cars.
I think the ZL1 coupe wing looks much better than the SS wing which looks odd from some angles...it comes down to preference, but in general some cars just don't look good with wings, and others look great with wings.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #249
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I think the ZL1 coupe wing looks much better than the SS wing which looks odd from some angles...it comes down to preference, but in general some cars just don't look good with wings, and others look great with wings.

Agree, hoping same bolt pattern.. Need one in black to slap on my HyperBlue
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #250
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Agreed.

Interestingly...I think more and more cars are going to start utilizing wings as performance continues to increase, and the desire for less drag becomes more important for fuel economy, etc.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #251
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Agreed.

Interestingly...I think more and more cars are going to start utilizing wings as performance continues to increase, and the desire for less drag becomes more important for fuel economy, etc.
Wings all around!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #252
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
I sure would love an update on the 1LE. It's going to be a long year at this rate. I keep looking at the current 1LE's for sale and playing devils advocate with myself. Maybe buy one of those and sell it when it comes time for the new one next year. Probably not but a guy can day dream right?
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote