The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #211
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
150 HP eh? interesting.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #212
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
150 HP eh? interesting.
Yes

July 2013 Torque - The Other Duramax(s)
GM’s 2.5L and 2.8L Diesel Engines
Quote:
It is the engine we have been dreaming about: a small, four- cylinder diesel wearing the Duramax badge. Good news…it’s here and has brought a friend! Bad news…for us living here in the United States, we are still limited to drooling over photos, for now.

The Engines
These two Duramax engines can be found in both 2.5L and 2.8L displacements, and they share many of the same components. Both of these engines use the same block and cylinder head, along with many other internal and external components. The modular design of both engines’ basic architecture enables an easier transition between versions on the assembly line, which helps speed up production while cutting cost.

Both Duramax mills utilize a high-pressure common-rail fuel injection system, have a single turbocharger, and are intercooled. However, the 2.8L features a Garrett variable-geometry turbo, while the 2.5L’s is a fixed-geometry unit. Inside, the pistons are graphite-coated cast-aluminum for reduced friction and power loss, hydraulic valve lash adjusters eliminate the need for periodic adjustments, and quick-start glow plugs promote fast engine starting in colder climates. The 2.8L also uses a balancer shaft to aid in reducing engine vibrations.

Engineered for a wide range of global markets, these two engines use an electronic throttle valve and cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) as a means of reducing harmful tailpipe emissions. Both engines meet Brazil’s stringent emissions requirements without the need for a diesel particulate filter (DPF), which helps to reduce costs for these vehicles sold in markets with standards at or below that of Brazil. The U.S. and European markets will likely require both a DPF and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) to meet their tighter emissions standards.

2.8L
180 hp at 3,800 rpm
346 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm

A. Iron cylinder block
B. Aluminum DOHC cylinder head
C. High-pressure common-rail fuel injection
D. Electronic throttle valve
E. Cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)
F. Variable geometry turbocharger
G. Laminated steel oil pan with upper aluminum section that provides a balance of engine rigidity and quietness

2.5L
150 hp at 3,800 rpm
258 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm

A. Iron cylinder block
B. Aluminum DOHC cylinder head
C. High-pressure common-rail fuel injection
D. Electronic throttle valve
E. Cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)
F. Single fixed-geometry
G. Laminated steel oil pan with upper aluminum section that provides a balance of engine rigidity and quietness

Where To Find Them
Unfortunately for us, these engines are only found internationally. They are built in a 584,000-square-foot facility in Rayong, Thailand—which has the capacity to produce 120,000 engines per year—and are available in the Chevy Colorado and TrailBlazer, as well as the GMC Canyon. Rumor has it that the “world” Colorado, currently sold in Thailand and other emerging Asian, South American, and African countries, will be making its way to the U.S. sometime in the coming years—and with it will come a diesel engine. There have also been rumblings lately that the Cadillac ATS will be receiving a version of the 2.8L Duramax for the ’14 model year, but that it will not wear the Duramax name. If any of these rumors are even partly true, we all have one more thing to be excited about.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #213
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Ok, 180 sounds better.

I want one now....crew cab, long bed, bed liner, diesel. Here GM, just take my money.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #214
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The 2.8L's been updated for 2014 in Australia.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #215
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The 2.8L's been updated for 2014 in Australia.
even bettah!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #216
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Then why will they have a W/T version? Doesn't W/T stand for "Work Truck"?
You misunderstood my comment. Yes these can be "work trucks". (By the way...we all know W/T really means stripper model....the cheapest version. It doesn't mean it can work any harder than the other trims) They can do a good amount of light duty work. That's all fine and dandy.

Anyways...what I meant was is if you really need to do some decent towing or hauling then you should be looking at full size. Frankly it annoys me a bit to see folks asking for more powerful engines, with a low gearing ratio, and high payload or towing rating in these trucks. I have to ask why?? To get that, we'd end up with a midsize that ends up getting crappy MPG all the while not being able to do the same work as a full size. It would end up being another failure making the same mistakes as the previous generation of midsizers.

Instead these trucks should be focused on efficiency, and affordability with work ability playing second fiddle to those things.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #217
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It will tow and probably in line with the other GM vehicles with the 3.6l. My guess is at least 3,500 pounds and maybe up to 6,000 pounds. Plenty for toys for the weekend. Serious towing will call for the Silverado of course.
Haven't they already said the tow rating is 6,700 lbs?
Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #218
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Ok, 180 sounds better.

I want one now....crew cab, long bed, bed liner, diesel. Here GM, just take my money.
You realize torque is what makes the action happen right? 150hp and 258 tq (@ 2000 RPM I might add) isn't horrible, it's just a little small, but it comes on really early in the band!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #219
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
You realize torque is what makes the action happen right? 150hp and 258 tq (@ 2000 RPM I might add) isn't horrible, it's just a little small, but it comes on really early in the band!
the 150/258 is for the 2.5L, the North American Colorado is getting the bigger, more powerful (and much torquier(?) ) 2.8L. In other markets, it makes 180 hp & 346 ft-lbs, but it has to be tweaked to meet emissions standards before bringing it over so it will probably lose a little bit.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #220
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I know the Colorado isn't meant for any heavy duty towing but we Americas love to think that trucks are built to be overloaded and overworked. I was just wondering how aggressive the tranny tuning/gearing is going to more in the MPG side of things quicker to get the final gear or will it be as Fen would say more on the sporty side and not shift up so quick. Id rather it feel quick and not be trying to eek out every last Mpg killing the drivability a bit. We also know that people that save money on buying a midsize prolly will have Atvs and dirtbikes motocycles Jetskis to tow to and from the places to play.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #221
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
the 150/258 is for the 2.5L, the North American Colorado is getting the bigger, more powerful (and much torquier(?) ) 2.8L. In other markets, it makes 180 hp & 346 ft-lbs, but it has to be tweaked to meet emissions standards before bringing it over so it will probably lose a little bit.
True. From the Motor Trend article:
Quote:
There will be a third engine added to the options list for the 2016 model year: a 2.8-liter Duramax I-4. Chevrolet hasn't announced power numbers for this yet, but in the global truck, it produces 197 hp and 369 lb-ft. However, it's likely that the diesel's hp and torque will be slightly lower here, as emissions requirements are tougher in the U.S. than in the rest of the world and use of aftertreatment can reduce power. That torque number is only slightly lower than that of GM's new EcoTec3 5.3-liter V-8, while potentially offering significantly better fuel economy. The engineers at Chevrolet also told us that the American-market version of this engine will be much quieter than the global unit. It will use Diesel Exhaust Fluid, with its refill point behind the fuel door. Unless one of the other manufacturers pulls off a big surprise in the next year, the Colorado will be the first midsize truck sold in the U.S. with a diesel engine.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #222
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I don't see why they need to make it quieter in a Midsize truck unless for the noise is a certain Db for law regulations. But I doubt that is why they going to make it quieter the diesel version doesn't need to be quieter IMO.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #223
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
I don't see why they need to make it quieter in a Midsize truck unless for the noise is a certain Db for law regulations. But I doubt that is why they going to make it quieter the diesel version doesn't need to be quieter IMO.
Quietness leads to perceived quality. If you don't hear as much wind, road, and tire noise you will think the vehicle is better built.

And they have to pay special attention to the diesel engine because very few people enjoy the sound of diesel clatter.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #224
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It has almost been 24 hours and no Colorado discussion...sad day.