The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #2087
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
I hear ya, different goals for different sports/events. It's funny though how we now perceive body sizes. We are so use to seeing people overweight that most think it's normal. But grab any medical standards for ideal body weights, and we are suppose to be what we now call "skinny". A 5'10" male, medium frame should weight no more than 160 pounds. That's medically considered "ideal".

I remember a friend of mine whom was drafted (Vietnam) but failed to meet the standards. He was considered overweight, he was a body builder w/12% BF. 5'11" 230 pounds. Crazy???

Pretty crazy how out of the "norm" we see things today. But that's how it works, you see overweight people for a few decades and that's what thought of as normal. But truth be told It's Not normal at all. Americans are the FATTEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

Grade school kids having heart attacks and diabetes. Now that's really crazy.

Sure this guy is thin, skinny by bodybuilding standards, but he'll most likely have a long healthy life. Probably with minimal aches and pains that slinging heavy weights cause. And carrying excessive amounts of muscle is also very tasking on the body/organs. Look at how many of these big guys drop dead of heart attacks. Some while lifting. Yikes.

Personally I love lifting. Not heavy anymore, you don't recover as well as when you're young. But I love a good strenuous workout!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you are killing me here... lol. Oh, I get the whole BMI index, as my company used to have health coverage discounts, and I would have to get a note from my doctor saying I was a bodybuilder, as I was considered 30% fat based on those 'standards'. How about more like 12% at 225 lbs.

I will be 50 early next year, and been lifting a long time. No aches, no additional pains, and get a physical every year. So again, your 'impression' of 'most' bodybuilders/powerlifters really isn't true. But then again, maybe you are talking about the Professional Bodybuilders that are 280+ lbs and pushing their bodies to the max for what they do for a living (and not your normal gym rat that is muscular). I can see the pro's having potential issues later in life, but that is not just lifting, but also all the additional enhancing drugs to push well beyond your boundaries.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #2088
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Yeah I think he's talking about enhanced body builders. Agree 30 yrs lifting, running, etc.. Not a fan of cross fit either, but people get healthy doing it so I support it.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #2089
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
you are killing me here... lol. Oh, I get the whole BMI index, as my company used to have health coverage discounts, and I would have to get a note from my doctor saying I was a bodybuilder, as I was considered 30% fat based on those 'standards'. How about more like 12% at 225 lbs.

I will be 50 early next year, and been lifting a long time. No aches, no additional pains, and get a physical every year. So again, your 'impression' of 'most' bodybuilders/powerlifters really isn't true. But then again, maybe you are talking about the Professional Bodybuilders that are 280+ lbs and pushing their bodies to the max for what they do for a living (and not your normal gym rat that is muscular). I can see the pro's having potential issues later in life, but that is not just lifting, but also all the additional enhancing drugs to push well beyond your boundaries.

You're a lucky guy to not have had an injury in all your years lifting, I'd say you're in the minority category. Injuries happen, even when being super careful.

I agree with the pro level taking it to the limit, and 100% drug enhanced. But even on this thread half the time folks are recovering from an injury. I fortunately haven't had anything serious, maybe a small strain or soreness from overtraining. So I know I'm lucky.

Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #2090
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:

I've always found it comical most's people's perceptions of "powerlifters". They imagine these big blobs walking around....and while some are, there are weight classes down to 114 and a majority of the ones in the 198 and under, at at least a state level, are in great overall shape.

Regarding performance it depends on how you "wired" as much, if not more that your body "type". CF kicks my ass daily....Monique is 5'2", 140lbs and built like a brick sh..house. And most days she kicks everyone's ass including the men that are half her age. But then again, she is "wired" for it.....

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #2091
Normagene

[QUOTE=Mydivorcegift;8632191]I've always found it comical most's people's perceptions of "powerlifters". They imagine these big blobs walking around....and while some are,. [\QUOTE]

Hey you forgot to mention "Dumb". They're always portrayed to be dumb as a bag of rocks. TV commercials, magazines, cartoons, and we can't forget YouTube which has thousands upon thousands of videos of these imbeciles doing really stupid stuff.

Squatting and getting pinned under the weight, pro level, or the moron working out at home and get can't make that lift so he ends up nearly crushed to death. Unfortunately some end up with very serious injuries.

I remember reading a few years back, can't remember the guy's name, but he was a world record holder, and he had a massive heart attack trying to set a new record.

But like any sport, injuries happen, and sometimes they lead to devastating consequences. The biggest problem I see with lifting, millions of teenagers get into it, they get into pretty decent shape, for a few years. Then life happens, college, a demanding job, and working out disappears.

The one sure thing that happens to all these youngsters after giving up the sport of lifting is Obesity. They lose the muscle, but still eat like when they were lifting. Next thing they know a decade or two later, they realize they packed on 30 or more pounds of FAT. They look and feel like crap, no energy, and sure as hell don't feel like exercising.

How many people stick to it, make it a way of life? I'd bet the number is less than 3%. Three kids out of 100, twenty or thirty years later are still working out. Still look really fit. I don't know, maybe 3% is on the high side.

I've been working out and stretching all my life, no real breaks, other than a car accident which took me off my game for awhile. But I made a full recovery and I'm sure being physically fit played a key role in the healing process!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #2092
manganos

Drives: Lexus IS250 and BMW R1200GS
[QUOTE=Normagene;8633112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
I've always found it comical most's people's perceptions of "powerlifters". They imagine these big blobs walking around....and while some are,. [\QUOTE]

Hey you forgot to mention "Dumb". They're always portrayed to be dumb as a bag of rocks. TV commercials, magazines, cartoons, and we can't forget YouTube which has thousands upon thousands of videos of these imbeciles doing really stupid stuff.

Squatting and getting pinned under the weight, pro level, or the moron working out at home and get can't make that lift so he ends up nearly crushed to death. Unfortunately some end up with very serious injuries.

I remember reading a few years back, can't remember the guy's name, but he was a world record holder, and he had a massive heart attack trying to set a new record.

But like any sport, injuries happen, and sometimes they lead to devastating consequences. The biggest problem I see with lifting, millions of teenagers get into it, they get into pretty decent shape, for a few years. Then life happens, college, a demanding job, and working out disappears.

The one sure thing that happens to all these youngsters after giving up the sport of lifting is Obesity. They lose the muscle, but still eat like when they were lifting. Next thing they know a decade or two later, they realize they packed on 30 or more pounds of FAT. They look and feel like crap, no energy, and sure as hell don't feel like exercising.

How many people stick to it, make it a way of life? I'd bet the number is less than 3%. Three kids out of 100, twenty or thirty years later are still working out. Still look really fit. I don't know, maybe 3% is on the high side.

I've been working out and stretching all my life, no real breaks, other than a car accident which took me off my game for awhile. But I made a full recovery and I'm sure being physically fit played a key role in the healing process!

I just left the gym and I'll be 38 in a week... usually my 15 yr old son goes with me to condition for wrestling and lacrosse.

I love it when I warm up with more weight then some guys in their 20s max out with.

I can't stop lifting or I'd end up obese lol.
manganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #2093
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

a lot of truth in that Normagene, and it's unfortunate.

I love it when they portray the big guys as dumb, but that's movies, no worse for "blondes" I guess. But I have to say, the gyms are full of people that don't get it, don't ask for help, and are a little lost on what they really want to do to reach their goals. Then there are the ones that have no clue and try to help others and give them bad information. I see it way too much, and sometimes daily.

Every now and then I get a young pup wanting to give me advice. I am a 230 powerlifter with 34" waist. This guy may have been 165, and offering me advice on lifting and diet. I kindly told him that if I wanted to look like him, I would take his advice, but my goals were strength and size. Not sure why he just stared at me like that. But my workout partner hit the floor laughing.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #2094
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
a lot of truth in that Normagene, and it's unfortunate.

I love it when they portray the big guys as dumb, but that's movies, no worse for "blondes" I guess. But I have to say, the gyms are full of people that don't get it, don't ask for help, and are a little lost on what they really want to do to reach their goals. Then there are the ones that have no clue and try to help others and give them bad information. I see it way too much, and sometimes daily.

Every now and then I get a young pup wanting to give me advice. I am a 230 powerlifter with 34" waist. This guy may have been 165, and offering me advice on lifting and diet. I kindly told him that if I wanted to look like him, I would take his advice, but my goals were strength and size. Not sure why he just stared at me like that. But my workout partner hit the floor laughing.
You mean I can't just do 3 x 10

Yes.... But you know it's just like the internet...something get's suggested as the truth, the story keeps repeating, etc. Been happening in commercial gyms for decades....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #2095
Normagene

I like the "blonde" comparison. It's so true! Blonde jokes and Big Meathead Muscle Men jokes have been around forever. Or like the saying goes "Beat him like a redheaded stepchild". LOL.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #2096
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

[QUOTE=Normagene;8633112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
I've always found it comical most's people's perceptions of "powerlifters". They imagine these big blobs walking around....and while some are,. [\QUOTE]

That happened to me for a period of a year or so but I quickly righted the ship. Going on 28 years now

And from the pictures you have posted it shows and you have done a great job

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 10-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #2097
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Bump. Anyone still lifting?

Steve have you done your October meet yet?

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #2098
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

I am, and had my partner talk me into competing in a German Fest. It was fun, but we ended up competing against each other (really didn't want to do that). I placed first and he placed second in the Open Masters Class.

I had repped a 200 lb keg 10 times, held 65 lb weight for 1:00 minute, and lifted 650 lb Bavarian Stone.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #2099
Normagene

Quote:
I am, and had my partner talk me into competing in a German Fest. It was fun, but we ended up competing against each other (really didn't want to do that). I placed first and he placed second in the Open Masters Class.

I had repped a 200 lb keg 10 times, held 65 lb weight for 1:00 minute, and lifted 650 lb Bavarian Stone.

Great pics! You definitely look like a Strongman! Serious poundage.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #2100
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:

Good job you beastly old man

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody