Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #169
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA CAMANDER View Post
What do you mean it's unlikely? I don't understand, my car falls right between the high and low vin numbers, and yes I am pretty hard on my car. I don't do drop the clutch at 4 grand from a dead stop, but I do like to punish the back tires. I have dumped at about 3500 or so from a dead stop and shifted at about 6 into second and dumped the clutch with the tires already rolling on more than one occasian. I don't think I was in "sport mode" but then again I don't understand all of the different modes yet either. I hit the button once and the tire with the line through it comes on. I think that means say no to tires(lol) If I hit the button again and hold it the stabili-link turns on. I'm not quite sure what the launch control is, but I don't like the stabili-link. are people only having these problems with the launch mode on?
All I'm saying is if you look at the numbers only a very small percentage appear to have a "bad" tranny. But this is all rumor mill. I'm saying, just because you are in the supposed range, doesn't mean every car in that rage has a "bad" tranny.

But in fairness, It doesn't mean you have a good one either.

Nor does it mean that even if you have a bad one, it's gonna fail. It doesn't sound like you drive your car that hard. To me that would fall into what GM expects us to do to the car. Now, redline clutch dumps or not having the sense do get your foot off the gas when you feel some wheel hop... Bad ideas and will break driveline parts on any car eventually.

Before anyone tries to have me keel hauled. I'm not blaming drivers for the problem. So please don't make that connection.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #170
COBRA CAMANDER

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
Dude, were you in the navy? just wondering, I saw your profile and now you're using terms like keel hauling. I'm a Navy recruiter stationed in NH.

OK, I might have exagerated a little bit like I said I'm a recruiter, I don't actually shift at 6 grand I don't have balls that big, but i'm sure if done around the RPM that these shafts are breaking. Is this a problem that is only happening from a dead stop with launch mode or are there other trends too?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #171
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Dude, were you in the navy? just wondering, I saw your profile and now you're using terms like keel hauling. I'm a Navy recruiter stationed in NH.

OK, I might have exagerated a little bit like I said I'm a recruiter, I don't actually shift at 6 grand I don't have balls that big, but i'm sure if done around the RPM that these shafts are breaking. Is this a problem that is only happening from a dead stop with launch mode or are there other trends too?
I was Navy. SAR Helo Crewman, HS before the AW merge. Carriers, west coast.

But I've been out now for 8 years almost. I'm a Defense contractor, still working for the Navy so I'm still in that world.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #172
COBRA CAMANDER

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
I'm pretty sure the dealership I bought the car from would take good care of me if the tranny broke, but I'm moving to VA in January. Seeing as how I didn't buy the car from a dealrship down there, what reason do they have to help me out. It's not like I have spent any money there. You know what I mean.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #173
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the dealership I bought the car from would take good care of me if the tranny broke, but I'm moving to VA in January. Seeing as how I didn't buy the car from a dealrship down there, what reason do they have to help me out. It's not like I have spent any money there. You know what I mean.
Remember the dealer gets paid by GM for any warranty work. So normally they want to fix your car just to make money from GM. But in the End GM will ultimately decide if it is a warranty repair. In this case I don't think they will turn you away for a broken output shaft....
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #174
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
GM knows which M6 serial numbers are bad and MM Warranty Act.

GM knows which M6's are bad. I broke mine. They over nighted a new M6 from Texas, said ready by Friday. On Friday dealer called, car finished but problem. GM called, said put back up on the rack and check serial no. on new M6. GM said out of the bad batch. I baby'd it until a second M6 came in 2 weeks later and swapped out. No problem since.

Dealer originally told me, it would be fixed as good will gesture but was voiding my warranty for the future. They said I had after market headers, only mod at the time. When I told them they made headers. and were after markets so much better it voided warranty. They said well we don't know what the braided fuel line is for and GM said to tell you that. I explained I was avoiding the loop over the headers on original line to prevent heat soak and never ran nitrous. They backed off after I told them the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, 15 U.S.C. 2301, et seq. . says a dealer or manufacturer cannot void or charge for a warranty service based on use of aftermarket products unless a failure is a DIRECT result of use of the aftermarket product and they will have to prove how it caused the damage.

MMA provides for attorney fees as well as damages and class action suits.
This would appear to be ripe for a class action if GM denies warranties on bad transmissions. But be forewarned, GM can deny warranty and force you to pay for repairs while you arbitrate or litigate your warranty rights. They can argue any after market part that increases torque or horsepower exceeds the original design limits and causes the breakage. This will not work with a known defective part, i.e, M6 but may work for any other drive line damage.

They knew good and well they could not void my entire warranty for the future. But they can tell people crap like this and many may not ever make another warranty claim. They can also wait for the bad M6's to break and deny because after market parts added or even because warranty period expires before a new owner thrashes it.

I did pop the clutch on comp mode rev. limiter (4,200) and comp mod applies limited ABS at same time. BAM never moved an inch. This is asking for disaster, ask last years Nissan GTR owners. Nissan voided warranties and reduced launch RPM limiter from 4,200 to 3,200 this year because of breakage. My output shaft broke clean (like a sliced banana) about an inch or so into tranny housing. Tr shaft fell out and tr shaft to drive shaft bolts clanked when pushed. Put shaft back into housing and could push car with no clanking.

I am hard on my car and race at the track. Probably 100 launches since breakage. NONE IN COMP MODE. Now I drive out with the clutch (not slip it and don't pop it unless in water box, which limits traction for burn out) with TC off or everything off at around 3,500 rpm. There is no need to launch higher than 3,500 rpm. Never use comp mode. You will get better launches this way than comp mode. Now I leave TC and or Stability Control on for the street to limit wheel spin/sideways and limit launches with TC to 3,200 or less. Car can get sideways in traffic hitting second hard with out TC or at least Stability Control on. With TC off or all controls off (hold button down for 7 - 10 seconds) limit to 3,500rpm or less even with drag radials for best 60 foots. Don't floor the throttle until wheel spin stops and ALWAYS get off the throttle if you get wheel hop.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #175
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
John Fitzpatrick (Camaro Marketing Manager) has provided a statement on this issue for us. Please redirect here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...53#post1240453

Closed Thread