Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #141
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I don't know if BC adjuster would be a direct fit but I am sure someone could make a remote adjuster for that. Sometimes you have to get a little creative. Just because its not plug and play doesn't mean it can't be made to work.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #142
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Any additional info from those that have installed them? Any rubbing issues? How is the ride?

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #143
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
Any additional info from those that have installed them? Any rubbing issues? How is the ride?
Going to bump this in case some want to chime in. Also looking for info or a review from someone with wider wheels up front
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #144
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I can't tell you anything useful about tire/wheel clearance, but I can tell you that you will clearly feel the difference that quarter turn adjustments make. If you have no idea where to start, set them full soft and go up in 1/4 turn increments. Back off an eighth turn when it just starts to be a little too firm or harsh for you. Don't be afraid to use different settings, front vs rear, so pay attention to which end is getting firmer faster.

If you're tuning for cornering/handling performance, you can follow this piece that I've snipped out of Koni's tuning suggestions for double-adjustables. Yellows don't feature bump damping adjustability, but you can use the same approach for rebound adjustment tuning. I've edited out any references to bump damping to avoid confusion here.

Quote:
Adjusting the REBOUND Damping Control
The rebound damping controls the transitional roll (lean) as when entering a turn. It does *not* limit the total amount of roll; it *does* limit how *fast* this total roll angle is achieved. How much the vehicle actually leans is determined by other things such as spring rate, sway bars, roll center, ride heights, etc.
It should be noted that too much rebound on either end of the vehicle will cause an initial loss of lateral acceleration (cornering grip) a that end which will cause the vehicle to oversteer or understeer excessively when entering a turn. Too much rebound control in relation to spring rate will cause a condition known as "jacking down." This is a condition where, after hitting a bump and compressing the spring, the damper does not allow the spring to return to a neutral position before the next bump is encountered. This repeats with each subsequent bump until the car is actually lowered onto the bump stops. Contact with the bump stops causes a drastic increase in roll stiffness. If this condition occurs on the front, the car will understeer; if it occurs on the rear, the car will oversteer.
STEP 1: With rebound set on full soft, drive the car one of two laps, paying particular attention to how the car rolls when entering a turn.
STEP 2: Increase rebound damping three sweeps (or 3/4 turn) on all four dampers and drive the car one or two laps. Repeat Step 2 until the car enters the turns smoothly (no drastic attitude changes) and without leaning excessively. An increase in the rebound stiffness beyond this point is unnecessary and may result in a loss of cornering power. Note: This point will probably be reached at one end of the car before the other.
However, individual drivers may find it desirable to have a car that assumes an oversteering or understeering attitude when entering a turn. This can be easily "dialed-in" using slightly excessive rebound settings at either end.
Norm
Old 08-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #145
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I can't tell you anything useful about tire/wheel clearance, but I can tell you that you will clearly feel the difference that quarter turn adjustments make. If you have no idea where to start, set them full soft and go up in 1/4 turn increments. Back off an eighth turn when it just starts to be a little too firm or harsh for you. Don't be afraid to use different settings, front vs rear, so pay attention to which end is getting firmer faster.

If you're tuning for cornering/handling performance, you can follow this piece that I've snipped out of Koni's tuning suggestions for double-adjustables. Yellows don't feature bump damping adjustability, but you can use the same approach for rebound adjustment tuning. I've edited out any references to bump damping to avoid confusion here.

Norm
Very nice! I'll be sure to save this. Looking to go to 19' wheels and the drop from the Koni's would be perfect until I decide to get lowering springs or coil overs.

I might have to be the Guinea pig to see if you can run Koni's up front with 20x9 w/ 275/40 tires. Hmm...
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #146
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
anymore feedback from people using koni yellows, like them?

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #147
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
KONY YELLOWS are here

I have the Koni Yellows and have some thoughts in my autocross build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456227

Got them for autocross purposes. Still tweaking rebound but they certainly do better under compression than the 1LE shocks.

Copy & Paste:
- Koni Yellows are a definite adjustable upgrade to the 1LE shocks. Full soft is softer than the 1LE shocks and full firm is much firmer. Haven't done enough testing yet. Due to the weight of the car and soft springs, I'm skewing towards setting the shocks softer than firmer.

- Compression on the yellows is higher than the 1LE shocks. That isn't adjustable on the Yellows but is a welcome improvement. A bit less lean when hard on the brakes.

- Max camber doesn't rub. Couldn't get equal max camber left and right. Front was -2.1 or more. Rear was -1.3 or more. Expect to get equal camber as the new parts settle into place.

- Didn't notice a height change from stock due to change in tire diameter as well.

Part #s:

2x 8241-1292Sport

1x 8741-1563LSport

1x 8741-1563RSport

Off-the-shelf valving for now
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #148
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
I have the Koni Yellows and have some thoughts in my autocross build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456227

Got them for autocross purposes. Still tweaking rebound but they certainly do better under compression than the 1LE shocks.

Copy & Paste:
- Koni Yellows are a definite adjustable upgrade to the 1LE shocks. Full soft is softer than the 1LE shocks and full firm is much firmer. Haven't done enough testing yet. Due to the weight of the car and soft springs, I'm skewing towards setting the shocks softer than firmer.

- Compression on the yellows is higher than the 1LE shocks. That isn't adjustable on the Yellows but is a welcome improvement. A bit less lean when hard on the brakes.

- Max camber doesn't rub. Couldn't get equal max camber left and right. Front was -2.1 or more. Rear was -1.3 or more. Expect to get equal camber as the new parts settle into place.

- Didn't notice a height change from stock due to change in tire diameter as well.

Part #s:

2x 8241-1292Sport

1x 8741-1563LSport

1x 8741-1563RSport

Thanks for the review. Do these actually change ride height at all if tire diameter is left unchanged? I have seen mixed reviews on that.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #149
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:

Copy & Paste:

Part #s:

2x 8241-1292Sport

1x 8741-1563LSport

1x 8741-1563RSport

Great. So your stock 1LE wheel and tire fit with the KONIs no issue. Then as long as a 28" diameter tire fit I am good. Can you please post pictures of the front tire wheel clearance?
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #150
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
Thanks for the review. Do these actually change ride height at all if tire diameter is left unchanged? I have seen mixed reviews on that.
The question as to whether or not the Konis change ride height or not can be directed to one post from a new member's FIRST and ONLY post. Not very reliable.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=128

Since the SCCA views them as legal within certain classes that do not allow ride height changes, and others have offered feedback of no change, it sounds like you get the same as stock.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #151
nilfinite

Can someone with a stock 1LE with 285/35/20 tires measure the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel well?

I'll be back with my Camaro this Friday and can compare then. My guess is that the ride height is the same. Technically, the ride height can change a bit due to the internal shock construction. This is despite having the same physical specs.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #152
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:
Can someone with a stock 1LE with 285/35/20 tires measure the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel well?

I'll be back with my Camaro this Friday and can compare then. My guess is that the ride height is the same. Technically, the ride height can change a bit due to the internal shock construction. This is despite having the same physical specs.
I have the BFG A/S 285/35/20 tires on my car now so I measured all 4 corners.
Interestingly, the LF was 29.0, the LR was 29.0, the RR was 29.0, but the RF was 28 3/4 in. The car is in the garage which is fairly level. So there you go. Hope that helps. I am contemplating the Koni's for this autocross season, but not too fond of the idea of cutting holes in the trunk.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #153
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
find out what the LF is with you in it
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 AM   #154
nilfinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
I have the BFG A/S 285/35/20 tires on my car now so I measured all 4 corners.
Interestingly, the LF was 29.0, the LR was 29.0, the RR was 29.0, but the RF was 28 3/4 in. The car is in the garage which is fairly level. So there you go. Hope that helps. I am contemplating the Koni's for this autocross season, but not too fond of the idea of cutting holes in the trunk.
A perfect comparison then! I have the same tires on my 1LE. My garage is a little bit slanted so I didn't get too accurate. The answer is 29" on all sides! So no height change with the Koni Yellows.