Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: What brand catch can do you want brandX to be?
Apex 6 11.11%
Elite engineering 34 62.96%
RX performance 11 20.37%
Mishimoto 2 3.70%
Cusco 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #127
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Here is how my valves looked at 46K miles, when I added my ported intake manifold. I added a RX catch can after 13K miles, so most of what is on the valves was during that first year before the CC.
I guess that's one thing that dirty on your car. Well can't even say that... Dirty in your car...

Making the switch up today... Curious of how the manifold look. I may half to strip that off and sneak a peak... Not sure if I have all the time for it. We will see
Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #128
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
Unfortunately I ran into some personal issues right before I was going to make the swith. I live in an apartment and don't have tool. So I need to use a friends house. Anyway long story short I will make the switch as soon as I can this week. Including another weigh in. Will be in the range of 250-500 miles. Will get an oil change right befor the draining
Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #129
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
still waiting for this to be exposed as what catch can or marketing gimmick.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #130
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Most important question to me is......what type and how much filtering/coallessing material is in this new "Xmystery" can. Show us (if you can/dare).
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #131
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Can anyone explain how any of this is a "gimmick"? The results cannot be disputed......the brandx caught far more than the moroso AFTER the PCV vapors already passed through the Moroso....it is that simple. Explain how that can be if the brandx is not doing (not just a marginally better job) a way better job period anyway you look at it. I would not want ANY can on my vehicles that even let a fraction of that past. The real test is to see when reversed, how much gets past the brandx and is caught by the moroso. I expect some may, but man, what more could anyone ask for? And how is the a gimmick? Someone please give me details on this as I am a believer seeing these results and will be willing to switch if this new can is that much more effective. My goal is to stop ALL of this stuff entering my intake as I have a DI engine and want no deposits like I see all the time with these engines.

Tell me w4r and big red, what is it your goal is here? You dont care to see a new "break through" in design and effectiveness here? You don't care about what your engine is digesting? Please explain here...I am all ears. Now I see why some people are hesitant to do something like the OP is here.....the "haters" come out and want to bully all into thinking the World is still flat IMHO. When I looked at CAI's I looked at all I could and the before and after dyno results. Same with the ported throttle body. Real world testing is the only way any of us can sift through hype and BS and find out what really works, and you don't want this to be shown for us all? I was looking at a TB spacer until I read all the tests showing no gains, only hype so glad I didn't buy one and waste the $. I chose the Elite E2 and cleanside unit through research, and feel I made a good choice....but this is a excellent series of tests being performed here, and if there is a better solution I will get it. And if there is a flaw in this test procedure, please point it out....I can;t think of a more accurate test as what I want to know is not what it looks like, not what the name is, I want to know that it traps all, or as much as possible, and seeing what got past the Moroso, I would NEVER want that on my engine.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #132
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Is this can being tested?

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-b...catch-can.html
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #133
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Have seen it tested in the past and it did pretty poorly, it is basically a air compressor type separator and allows about as much through as the Moroso has here, but let's see if the OP can get one and put it inline. I think the Mighty Mouse is next up, then there are some others I want to see tested as well if they will do it. It looks great, but look at the internal design....the separating block is right near the outlet, so it cannot do a good job if you take flow dynamics into consideration.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #134
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I think it is a marketing gimmick by not telling us the make or anything about it. The results speak for them self, but this mystery lasting weeks is absurd.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #135
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITI View Post
Have seen it tested in the past and it did pretty poorly, it is basically a air compressor type separator and allows about as much through as the Moroso has here, but let's see if the OP can get one and put it inline. I think the Mighty Mouse is next up, then there are some others I want to see tested as well if they will do it. It looks great, but look at the internal design....the separating block is right near the outlet, so it cannot do a good job if you take flow dynamics into consideration.
Never used one, though I have some friends that do high end import work and they swear by them. If the testing here is legit, it would be good to see the results.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #136
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Yeah it just seems gimicky.. The whole brand x thing. And we don't know the OP, for all we know he could be fudging the results to show whatever he wants. Not saying he is but we would never know. If the company is a vender here and was ok with this "r&d" happening live on the forum then they wouldn't be so secretive about their identity. There is only one company I can think of that would need to keep their identity hidden on this forum until the end when it's too late.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #137
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Yeah it just seems gimicky.. The whole brand x thing. And we don't know the OP, for all we know he could be fudging the results to show whatever he wants. Not saying he is but we would never know. If the company is a vender here and was ok with this "r&d" happening live on the forum then they wouldn't be so secretive about their identity. There is only one company I can think of that would need to keep their identity hidden on this forum until the end when it's too late.
You mean bRandX?
Old 07-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #138
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Yeah it just seems gimicky..
I can assure you, this is no a gimmick. With all the discussions on this forum about Catch Cans, their design, their functionality, whether they're street legal or not, it's nice to finally see some actual testing performed with real empirical data recorded.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #139
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
I can assure you, this is no a gimmick. With all the discussions on this forum about Catch Cans, their design, their functionality, whether they're street legal or not, it's nice to finally see some actual testing performed with real empirical data recorded.

This is no reflection on the OP, but to call this real empirical data is a stretch.

"Before any pieces of empirical data are collected, scientists carefully design their research methods to ensure the accuracy, quality and integrity of the data. If there are flaws in the way that empirical data is collected, the research will not be considered valid."

What we have here are the observations by a C5 member doing a nice job of presenting the information he has collected to date. There are too many variable in the use of the vehicle fr this to be definitive. It is anecdotal observation.

I can fill a catch can in a day with a lot of down shifting and engine braking. Without the testing on a closed circuit with carefully controlled RPMs and supporting controls on all the other variables this is an interesting thread, but not definitive or empirical.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #140
JusticePete

Once again, I find the thread interesting and think the OP is a creative analytical guy doing a nice job with the tools he has available. Props to the OP.