The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-18-2024, 11:22 PM   #127
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I'm still having issues replying to post on this freaking site. I decided the hell with it and just submit it. ��
That’s the perfect attitude in my opinion and my opinion is always right!! Keep posting. I will always read and I’m pretty sure it’s an amendment. Unless you live in our liberal Canadian government
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:34 AM   #128
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Also, when did some of you learn that adding an apostrophe s to a word or item makes it plural? I don't get it.

I appreciate you pointing out the misuse of 's. Speaking for myself, I tend to zone out while writing and get lazy with proper grammar/punctuation. With all the he's, she's, it's, that's, what's, etc, it's easy to throw in a 's where it doesn't belong. Apostrophes and commas are like a red-headed stepchild, they're often abused or forgotten.

Take this fellow for example, he struggles with the proper use of commas:

Quote:
Forget the SD card. Just use bluetooth or android auto or apple car play to cast from your phone to the car. Why won't that work?

Lack of proper capitalization aside, he's missing more commas than the Rednecks are teeth.

Quote:
To the OP, you can fit a rear facing seat behind the passenger seat but a passenger won't be able sit in the passenger seat.

What is a seat but?

Quote:
Who is Manuel and why do you have him drive you around? It seems like you would want to drive your own car to gain the full enjoyment from it.

Even when insulting others, commas prove elusive.

Quote:
Is a patch sufficient on a performance tire/car like ours. I mean I know you wouldn't track with a parched tire but is a patch even OK for spirited street driving?

Double dipped on this one, a missing comma and question mark.

Quote:
Yes, I have put all 4 tires (on wheels) in my ZL1 1LE. 1 in trunk, 1 in front seat, 2 in back seat. Technically, you can fit 3 in back seat but you'll have to move your seat way up.

Another seat but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily
I was about 5k for full hood, carbon fiber heat extractor, full front bumper, doors, mirrors, and rockers and ceramic coat remainder of the car (optic-coat). I am in NorCal (Sacramento area).

Again.

Quote:
I did a search but there are so many Camaro trims, years, and purposes; not going through that! Clown (see profile pic)

And again.

This gentleman exhibits a real lack of "comma sense".

All kidding aside, this is a place for Camaro enthusiasts; it's not Grammar 101. How about we defund the Grammar Police?
White1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:40 AM   #129
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I think a lot of the ZL1 owners will keep their cars only because you can’t simply upgrade to a newer year anymore. And honestly who’s going to have a better platform for the price point.
You may think that but the truth is like any other car, people will get bored of anything after a while, doesn't matter if you can get a new Camaro or not, they will move on to other products. The 6th Gen Camaro was a very poor seller so I understand that you may love yours and many others here on this site but sales numbers don't lie and there's a ton of people selling used ZL1 even today knowing production is done.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:43 AM   #130
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Every EV startup including Tesla, Rivian, Lucid have experienced ridiculous cash burn their first several years. Ford and GM are experiencing the same right now and they fully expected that to be the case. I’m sure they are surprised and disappointed in their current sales rates. In GM’s case in particular, it is not because people don’t want to buy them. It’s that they have not gotten their production system up to speed. Lyriq launched a year and a half ago. My boss put in a reservation for a 2-motor Lyriq on the first day reservations opened up. She just got it last week. They started out only delivering single motor cars with the expectation of starting to deliver 2-motor cars a few months later. Months turned into a year.

Similar situation with Blazer EV. I got tired of waiting and got a Tesla. They are still only trickling out of the factory. Equinox EV and Sierra EV are delayed while GM figures out how to get Blazer EV and Silverado EV built at decent volumes.

Ford is a little different. I’m sure they expected Lightning to sell a lot better than it does. I expect GM is paying attention as they plan their production ramp for Silverado EV. Mustang Mach E has actually been selling at a fairly consistent 3,500 per month. It is the 4th best selling EV. For some reason Ford significantly increased production of Mach E, resulting in way too much inventory. They did that right about the same time Tesla dropped Model Y prices by $5-7,000. I still don’t understand that move. So Ford is not selling less Mach E. They are just building too many.
I'm also fully convinced that EV trucks are by far the least in demand of EVs. The reality is that for people that use their trucks to pull and haul things, range is significantly shortened in those scenarios with EVs. This is the primary reason the Lightning isn't selling in my opinion. I could make the argument that the Mustang Mach E isn't selling that well because its just damn ugly but to each their own I suppose, people are buying them.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:45 AM   #131
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
One word, infrastructure. When Ford convinced the government to allow the the model T to go down the road safely and economically so everybody could own one, guess what happened? They built infrastructure.
Little known fact, Ford partnered with Tesla to allow them to use their supercharger stations for Ford vehicles. This was actually a very clever move on Ford's part but very few people know about it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...compatibility/
Old 01-19-2024, 08:06 AM   #132
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I'm fairly certain that's implied, why would either care if they could sell another brand's EVs
I didn't, and wouldn't, watch the video.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:18 AM   #133
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Silverado, you should actually read the posts. No one here is trying to convince anyone that EV’s are the solution or the only choice. They are however a choice in some cases with extreme performance like no other. It’s simply a choice not a mandate.
This. 1,000 times this.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:26 AM   #134
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Here's the thing, I'd be very surprised if you and many other ZL1 owners here still have their cars in 5 to 10 years. The reality is the majority of us ALL get bored of our cars at some point and want something else. Even a Tesla Plaid is no exception here. It offers a LOT of fun and a TON of bang for the buck, but I also understand some people will never give EVs a chance and some won't have the money for a Plaid so they will never get that experience. I agree that no one should be forced to buy EV's and the reality is that we won't. Just appreciate both type of vehicles for what they offer, at the end of the day, fun is fun, no matter what it is.
There’s a pretty good chance I’ll still have my ZL1 in 5-10 years…..if I’m still on this earth.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:37 AM   #135
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I'm also fully convinced that EV trucks are by far the least in demand of EVs. The reality is that for people that use their trucks to pull and haul things, range is significantly shortened in those scenarios with EVs. This is the primary reason the Lightning isn't selling in my opinion. I could make the argument that the Mustang Mach E isn't selling that well because its just damn ugly but to each their own I suppose, people are buying them.
This was a difficult one for the Domestic 3 manufacturers.

FACT: Full Size pickups are THE money factory for all of them. Damage that and you can watch their profits crumble.

FACT: Tesla pounded their chest stating the intent to come to market with an electric truck that would blow away everything the Domestic 3 had on the market. Given what the Model S and Model X did to BMW and Mercedes sales in Europe and the US, they could not simply ignore that. They basically had two option…1) weather the storm. 2) beat Tesla to the punch. GM and Ford choose option 2. Get to the market first with a strong EV truck.

Because Tesla is notoriously late in introducing the products that they brag about and take reservations on. Cybertruck is two years late from Elon’s promise of having the 1st electric truck on the market. It’s actually 4th.

So both Ford and GM had to figure out how to develop an electric truck that could blunt the temptation to migrate to Tesla, but to do it in a way that doesn’t allow EVs that will lose money on a unit by unit basis for several years cannabalize sales of the high profit ICE based trucks. Is a high altitude tightrope exercise. Make them good enough to beat Tesla, but not so good that buyers wholesale shift to the EV versions of their cash cows.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #136
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Little known fact, Ford partnered with Tesla to allow them to use their supercharger stations for Ford vehicles. This was actually a very clever move on Ford's part but very few people know about it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...compatibility/
Actually, pretty much every major OEM is jumping on the NACS bandwagon. Ford was first. GM followed a couple days later. Then everyone but the Volkswagen brands jumped in within the next few days. Volkswagen has billions invested in Electrify America as a result of their settlement from DieselGate. But even they eventually folded. Right now I can’t think of a legitimate manufacturer who has NOT committed to NACS in North America. The irony is, Tesla only uses the NACS system in North America. Everywhere else in the world they use the same CCS Combo system that Ford, GM, and the others are walking away from.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:20 AM   #137
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
There’s a pretty good chance I’ll still have my ZL1 in 5-10 years…..if I’m still on this earth.
You may be the exception for sure since you're a collector.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:24 AM   #138
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This was a difficult one for the Domestic 3 manufacturers.

FACT: Full Size pickups are THE money factory for all of them. Damage that and you can watch their profits crumble.

FACT: Tesla pounded their chest stating the intent to come to market with an electric truck that would blow away everything the Domestic 3 had on the market. Given what the Model S and Model X did to BMW and Mercedes sales in Europe and the US, they could not simply ignore that. They basically had two option…1) weather the storm. 2) beat Tesla to the punch. GM and Ford choose option 2. Get to the market first with a strong EV truck.

Because Tesla is notoriously late in introducing the products that they brag about and take reservations on. Cybertruck is two years late from Elon’s promise of having the 1st electric truck on the market. It’s actually 4th.

So both Ford and GM had to figure out how to develop an electric truck that could blunt the temptation to migrate to Tesla, but to do it in a way that doesn’t allow EVs that will lose money on a unit by unit basis for several years cannabalize sales of the high profit ICE based trucks. Is a high altitude tightrope exercise. Make them good enough to beat Tesla, but not so good that buyers wholesale shift to the EV versions of their cash cows.
Tesla made a huge mistake making their Cybertruck out of stainless steel. I think that decision even though it was marketed as a huge selling point will be the downfall of this product. Its terribly ugly even though that's MY opinion but Tesla consumers are VERY brand loyal and will buy it anyway. They have a LOT of orders already. The question is how long will people still be interested in their order if it takes 2-3 years before its delivered?
Old 01-19-2024, 09:25 AM   #139
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post

Same here. I road course this car which incentivizes me to keep it plus it will be paid off in less than 2 years. By then, it will need an engine refresh and I can put the car payment money into finishing that.
I've been buying mods and replacement parts for the last 3 years for when its out of warranty. By that time, I should have a new short block built at least.

There's not going to be an EV that can do everything the ZLE can do during HPDE within 5 years so I'll keep what I have. The batteries will have to get a lot lighter, fast charge times will have to be cut in half, charge capacity will have to increase a lot,
and/or tire technology will have to get better at carrying the extra 1000lbs while being driven to the limit.

IF I were to buy a different car, it would be a Porsche GT or ZO6.

Even for work, an EV wont work for me because of the mileage I drive when I'm out visiting customers.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:25 AM   #140
Nataphen

Drives: None
Why The ZL1 is better than an EV

I just like cars, also like tech, so I have both. EVs work in some cases, don’t in others, and most issues are just people blowing things out of proportion or not understanding how they work. There’s a slight learning curve, but if we’d all been doing it for the last 100 years like we have with ICE vehicles it wouldn’t be a big deal.

Gas is only $2.50 a gallon here and I was still spending $400+ per month on fuel with a 30MPG overall average vehicle. I drive way more than the norm. I bought the cheapest Tesla available for my commute, which is slower, but has a more durable battery that typically lasts 600K+ miles before needing replacement. I have free charging at work, charge primarily on solar at home, and have two supercharger stations along my route if something ever happens with one of my normal chargers. I also have 6 months of free supercharging if I want to take a trip. I’ve driven over 3000 miles in it so far and spent about $15 on electricity to do that.

If you charge at home, the battery preconditions and the car defrosts on power from the plug’s source, so your range isn’t affected much in low temps alone. The problems people run into are when they roll up to fast charging stations with a nearly dead battery that’s not been preconditioned and it can’t get enough heat in it to take a charge for a really long time, or at all. You can precondition the battery to take a charge while you drive to the charger, but you have to actually turn it on, and many likely don’t. When you charge at home it’s basically never an issue even in low temps. If I were in a situation where I couldn’t charge at home and relied on only fast charging stations, I just wouldn’t own an EV. It offsets your savings to a great degree, and exclusively fast charging isn’t good for the health of the battery.

Pick what works for you. Neither choice is universally right or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nataphen; 01-19-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote