Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Jesse B
Jessman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 Camaro Issues, please help

Hey there. I have a couple issues with my 2010 2 SS/RS M6 I was hoping someone could help me with. First is the Stabilitrak. I was driving on the freeway doing about 80ish and noticed the "Service Stabilitrak" message. It went off after a few seconds but it has me kinda concerned. It happened again last night at work when I was leaving. I did the seven second button push so I could show a coworker a burnout and when I did said burnout that is when it came on. Only for a few seconds. Do I need to take her to the dealer or is this a common issue? Second, is the wobble in the steering wheel. When I am driving at 60 mph up to about 100 mph the steering wheel starts vibrating up and down. I took it to the tire place and the retard who looked at her, a Ford guy who made it very clear he was a Ford guy, tried to sell me a set of tires. He just said I have uneven wear on the insides of the front tires and new ones would fix it. I looked at the inside of the fronts when I got home and they are a lot more worn then the rest of the tire. What could be causing the uneven wear and is this my vibrating steering wheel problem? Third is the battery and brakes. I was looking at car batteries for the Camaro and the cheapest I have found is about $150. Does that sound about right? I thought it was a bit pricey. And where would be the best place to get my brakes done? I'm not much of a mechanic so a professional is the best way for me to go. My car has 49600 miles, current oil changes, and no mods. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm still kinda new to the Camaro Coolness so please forgive me if I sound like a total moron with this post. Thanks.
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
sjharbaugh

Drives: 2010 IBM RS SS Vin 11498
My 2010 RS SS M6 had to be aligned by an outside speed shop to stop the front tire wear. The factory specs for the car will cause this wear to happen. They paid no attention to the specs GM provides. Maybe GM has a deal with Pirelli or something.

I had the dealer do the brakes.
sjharbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The shaking means you need balance and possibly alignment, but if you have the original P Zeros with 49,000 miles on them, it's probably high time for new tires anyway. Don't get new tires without doing the alignment, though!

As far as I'm concerned, the best place to get brakes done is the dealer, unless you have a favorite shop that you have some past experience with, doing this job.

Don't know about the stabilitrak problem, as I don't do burnouts.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Jesse B
Jessman

Ok. Thanks for the info. I am the second owner and to my knowledge they are the original tires. I put some big beefy snow tires on the back, studless, but that was just in case I absolutely needed to take her out in the snow which hasn't happened and probably never will. Any idea what new brakes might cost? I think I will have the dealer do them, I don't have a favorite shop or mechanic. Don't really know any. I'm sure I could do them myself but I just don't feel that comfortable yet. I have taken the front and back fascias, I think that's right, but not much else yet. Still learning. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
Ok. Thanks for the info. I am the second owner and to my knowledge they are the original tires. I put some big beefy snow tires on the back, studless, but that was just in case I absolutely needed to take her out in the snow which hasn't happened and probably never will. Any idea what new brakes might cost? I think I will have the dealer do them, I don't have a favorite shop or mechanic. Don't really know any. I'm sure I could do them myself but I just don't feel that comfortable yet. I have taken the front and back fascias, I think that's right, but not much else yet. Still learning. Thanks again.
What size are your rear snows? If they are not the same diameter as the front tires, that might explain the stabilitrak error.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Jesse B
Jessman

They are 275 40 R20 Toyo. They have been on for four months now with regular driving and the Stabilitrak light just recently came on. They aren't super big they just look big on the car.