Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
**UPDATE**monster level 3 installed

Hey guys just wanted to give an update on my car, a few weeks ago i posted about needing a clutch. I was looking at the street slayer, the Mcleod, the mantic...well i spoke to Steve from monster clutch via PM and he answered several questions for me about his clutches and what options were available..i had it narrowed down to the the street slayer,the LT1 S/C,and the monster level 3 single disc. I will be honest, after reading some of the reviews on here i was a little nervous about the level 3 monster..The clutch is a ceramic 6 puck disc, and i got the 28lb flywheel. I spoke to Chris from monster a few times on the phone and he told me that the clutch will reliably hold more power then i ever plan on making, and take some abuse at the track and that it was a great clutch..i took his word for it and ordered the level 3 with a remote bleed line..I installed the clutch the other night and have since put about 300 miles of stop and go driving on it..So far i love the clutch, there is a slight amount of chatter if i try to ease the clutch out slowly at very low rpm, but this is expected with an aggressive 6 puck clutch..and it is very slight. Im not sure what some of these people are talking about on here that the car is not drivable, and that it ruins the driving experience. It drives exactly how i expected a high performance 6 puck single disc clutch that is capable of holding 700RWHP would drive. My friends 6 puck clutch in his mustang is only rated for 550 and his does drive terrible..he was amazed how well this clutch drives. So anyways, after the break-in period and i get some new drag radials i will be heading to the track. Just a quick a review, if anyone has any questions about it let me know..I will do an update on the clutch after 1k or so miles and will definitely let you guys know if anything changes..but so far so good. I will consider maybe switching to a nice twin disc in the future but for now this clutch was literally a 1/4 of the price of some of the twin discs and seems to be everything i need and more.
**UPDATE**
Just wanted to give an update on how the clutch is doing in case anybody is interested..its been about a year now and 20K miles of abuse...Clutch still drives like new...possibly even a little better. It will start to chirp or squeal a little on light take offs...but a quick 3rd gear clutch "ride" to get it nice and hot and she's as smooth and as quiet as a stock clutch. I have been practicing rolling burnouts, i have some videos just dont know how to post them..but one of them i was going about 30mph,2nd gear clutch dump at 7k RPM with second gear maintained around 6500-7k rpm...went for a little over a mile until the bridgestone runflat blew out on the left rear (it was at about 90% remaining tread life before the burnout) If the tire didnt blow out i was going to stop soon anyways because oil temp was getting right to 300*F...So the clutch has not been babied and it still drives amazing..i do bleed it and change the fluid (separate reservoir) about every 5K miles...very easy to do with a pressure bleeder and remote bleed line....so no complaints..if the clutch blew up tomorrow i would buy another without a second thought..especially for 600 bucks! its a steal in my opinion.
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch

Last edited by cybergrayls3; 11-29-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: UPDATE
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
How's the pedal effort, compared to stock?
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
cybergrayls3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
How's the pedal effort, compared to stock?
Its stiffer then stock but not by much..it has a good feel to it. The other thing i noticed today is that shifting into 2nd and 3rd is much smoother with no "notchiness"..maybe my stock clutch was dragging or something? im anxious to get out to the track and see how it performs with some higher rpm launches.
-LSR shifter
-Monster level 3 clutch
Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
I appreciate the support and post!

Most guys on this forum do not like the single units, because of that we've got the new LT1 street twins we discussed. They are an outstanding unit that provides excellent drivability and wear/longevity, that said our tried and true singles are hard to beat.

Thanks for the post and thanks for the phone call earlier today, have a merry Christmas!
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
hivoltagedriver
not a camaro

Drives: 2009 PSM G8 GT
The level 3 is a great street clutch, and will take quite a bit of abuse. Had one in my GTO for quite some time and loved it. Steve and Monster Clutches are great people to deal with.
hivoltagedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
cybergrayls3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver View Post
The level 3 is a great street clutch, and will take quite a bit of abuse. Had one in my GTO for quite some time and loved it. Steve and Monster Clutches are great people to deal with.
Good to hear man
-LSR shifter
-Monster level 3 clutch
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver View Post
Thanks man!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Steve, I'm looking at clutches and seriously considering the Monster. Now I do have a question...What is/are the big difference(s) between the 11" and 12" clutch packages. I have seen them listed as the 11" being a "race" package and the 12" being a "street" package. Just trying to understand why I would choose one over the other.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post
Hey Steve, I'm looking at clutches and seriously considering the Monster. Now I do have a question...What is/are the big difference(s) between the 11" and 12" clutch packages. I have seen them listed as the 11" being a "race" package and the 12" being a "street" package. Just trying to understand why I would choose one over the other.
Honestly, it would take a novel to respond to this. LOL

Give me a call and we'll go over it in more detail. The sale ends today, but, I'll get you taken care of as I'm about to go home.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
cybergrayls3

**UPDATE**
Just wanted to give an update on how the clutch is doing in case anybody is interested..its been about a year now and 20K miles of abuse...Clutch still drives like new...possibly even a little better. It will start to chirp or squeal a little on light take offs...but a quick 3rd gear clutch "ride" to get it nice and hot and she's as smooth and as quiet as a stock clutch. I have been practicing rolling burnouts, i have some videos just dont know how to post them..but one of them i was going about 30mph,2nd gear clutch dump at 7k RPM with second gear maintained around 6500-7k rpm...went for a little over a mile until the bridgestone runflat blew out on the left rear (it was at about 90% remaining tread life before the burnout) If the tire didnt blow out i was going to stop soon anyways because oil temp was getting right to 300*F...So the clutch has not been babied and it still drives amazing..i do bleed it and change the fluid (separate reservoir) about every 5K miles...very easy to do with a pressure bleeder and remote bleed line....so no complaints..if the clutch blew up tomorrow i would buy another without a second thought..especially for 600 bucks! its a steal in my opinion.
-LSR shifter
-Monster level 3 clutch
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!!