The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 11:05 AM   #15
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Fun fact. I used to sit along the wall behind him (and my boss) in one of the forums where these discussions were taking place. Always liked to hear Bob’s perspective on things.
The man should have been made CEO of GM 25 years ago. When Wagoner was elected.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:21 AM   #16
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
The man should have been made CEO of GM 25 years ago. When Wagoner was elected.
Bob’s a phenomenal product guy. Can’t think of anyone better. Not certain I can say the same for his business leadership skills. A CEO needs to be strong in both areas. Of course he could and probably would have surrounded himself with a team that covered whatever weakness he may have had in that area. Rick was pretty much the opposite flavor. He did surround himself with product experts. Thing is he didn’t always listen to them <cough> SSR <cough>
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #17
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Why does everyone harken to the 77 Trans Am "Bandit" car? Iconic yes, but no one uses the great looks of the 98 to 02 Trans Am WS6 with the aggressive Ram Air hood.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:21 PM   #18
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
Why does everyone harken to the 77 Trans Am "Bandit" car? Iconic yes, but no one uses the great looks of the 98 to 02 Trans Am WS6 with the aggressive Ram Air hood.
I think the Bandit era 2nd Gen Firebirds are more recognizable among a broader audience. Us enthusiasts know how awesome the 4th Gen WS6 RamAir was but you can pretty much find any American who will recognize the 2nd Gen Screamin Chicken.

Don’t forget, Smokey was the #2 box office smash of 1977 right behind Star Wars. The Firebird/TA greatest sales years were the years following the movie. They couldn’t build 1977-79 models fast enough.

Thats a big 10-4 good buddy
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-23-2024, 03:11 PM   #19
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Learning my lesson from the Solstice experience, I bought it and begged forgiveness. That’s why you guys have to put up with me today.
To quote another automotive great, "We're glad to have you with us!"
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:06 PM   #20
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Ejecto seato on the EV's and start building vehicles based upon emission standards from 25 years ago. The environment would be fine and maybe American car companies would be able to build things the American public would like again.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:48 PM   #21
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuzz00 View Post
I found an interesting advertisement on the inside of the rear cover of my May/June issue of Car and Driver that brings up more questions than it does answers. The headline is "Make Some Noise...Pontiac Is Back".

It starts off by mentioning that it's been 15 years since Pontiac left and says "America needs us. The future needs us. So Pontiac is back."

It then goes on to say they will first come out with a hybrid system using a battery and electric motor to start a 667-hp-supercharged 372-cubic-inch V-8.

It goes on to say that Pontiac is here to offer a future filled with V-8s, great sounds, gold pinstripe, and window louvers. A V-8 and great sounds sounds great, but I'm not so sure about gold pinstripes and window louvers. Well, maybe to real Pontiac fanatics. It's hard to follow the hidden meaning of all that, but that last part seems to insinuate that something like a Trans Am may be coming.

Nowhere on the ad is there any GM emblem, or the mention of GM, and there is a weird little disclaimer at the bottom of the ad: "Do you need to be told that this advertisement is fake and not to be taken seriously? Our lawyers think you do."

So is Pontiac coming back, or is this just a fake advertisement meant to gauge the interest of GM possible bringing back the iconic Pontiac brand? Or could it be something from one of the manufacturers of clones of various Pontiac models? Like I said, it brings up more questions than it supplies answers.

Surely GM wouldn't be foolish enough to cancel the Camaro only to bring back Pontiac, which would mean that the Trans Am would eventually return.
Performance cars are losing to SUVs as far as sales go, so why would GM reinvent a performance oriented division? What about the switch to EVs? And what could Pontiac bring out that already isn't available with the Chevy brand? Like I said, lots of questions but no answers.

So what do you think? Is this ad just checking for interest in the return of Pontiac, or is it fake, or what?

Bringing us back on topic. Especially since I played more than a minor part in spinning us way off topic. What would be the business reason for bringing Pontiac back?
  • High demand for moderately priced performance vehicles? Nope. Camaro, Challenger, Charger and 300 are gone. Mustang is still standing but sales have dropped year over year despite having no competition. There is simply not enough demand for performance vehicles to revive an entire brand and support all the expense involved in that.
  • A brand to keep the sedan alive? Nope. Malibu just got dropped. Sedans in general are losing volume to compact and mid-size crossover utilities.

There is not a logical business reason to revive Pontiac. Especially if whatever comes out of a Pontiac brand only serves to “borrow” sales from Chevrolet.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-24-2024, 03:53 AM   #22
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Yeah but they could combine Pontiac and Hummer to build this
Attached Images

102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:03 AM   #23
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

102SS is officially declared the winner of this thread!

Old 05-24-2024, 08:09 AM   #24
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Yeah but they could combine Pontiac and Hummer to build this
The Hummer G8….. by Pontiac
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 05-24-2024, 09:06 AM   #25
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
102SS is officially declared the winner of this thread!

Thanks but I can't take the credit for this awesomeness.

I borrowed it from a thread on the Pontiac G8 forum

A member named Green Martian deserves the credit

The words were mine though

https://www.g8board.com/threads/make...90488/#replies

I post as 102SSRS(my licence plate) over there someone already had that name when I registered here

Last edited by 102SS; 05-24-2024 at 09:41 AM.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:23 AM   #26
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Bringing us back on topic. Especially since I played more than a minor part in spinning us way off topic. What would be the business reason for bringing Pontiac back?
  • High demand for moderately priced performance vehicles? Nope. Camaro, Challenger, Charger and 300 are gone. Mustang is still standing but sales have dropped year over year despite having no competition. There is simply not enough demand for performance vehicles to revive an entire brand and support all the expense involved in that.
  • A brand to keep the sedan alive? Nope. Malibu just got dropped. Sedans in general are losing volume to compact and mid-size crossover utilities.

There is not a logical business reason to revive Pontiac. Especially if whatever comes out of a Pontiac brand only serves to “borrow” sales from Chevrolet.
To that point, GM no longer has an excitement division. The $60k Base Corvette that never happened was always priced too high for today's hopeful middle class anyway. Camaro is gone. Anything affordable has a wheezy little 4-cylinder and the coolest it's ever going to get is a RS/RST badge, and that's still pretty nerdy these days.

Would it kill GM to bring back a $30k vehicle with a V8, a vehicle inspired by the Ripsaw, with packages to make angry plebs feel cool again?
An actually secure console lockbox for a firearm.
An optional mount for a holster on the center console?
A keyed door and ignition?
An HVAC vent aimed at the crotch?
Some kind of removable roof panel.
More firearm storage in the rear cargo/trunk area.
Pre-wired for GMRS radio, with a spot for it.
Optional sound system with a large sub under each seat, and an overhead sound bar that can be upgraded with aftermarket speaker sizes.

Colors could be matte olive-drab, sand-tan, black, or stainless-look. I'm sure folks would spring for a digital camo option in green, gray, or blue, too.

Make putting a front license plate on it impossible so people feel like they're subverting the law.

There's this whole market out there for guys who need to look and feel tough and like they're non-conforming, and GM really doesn't touch on that. Probably because there's actually no money there, but still..y'all could try!

It would be a good boost for Ms. Barra too...call it her idea. Instead of being framed as she currently is, maybe she could take on more of a sugar-momma in charge, image. Guys secretly like that too.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:31 AM   #27
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
To that point, GM no longer has an excitement division. The $60k Base Corvette that never happened was always priced too high for today's hopeful middle class anyway. Camaro is gone. Anything affordable has a wheezy little 4-cylinder and the coolest it's ever going to get is a RS/RST badge, and that's still pretty nerdy these days.

Would it kill GM to bring back a $30k vehicle with a V8, a vehicle inspired by the Ripsaw, with packages to make angry plebs feel cool again?
Optional sound system with a large sub under each seat, and an overhead sound bar that can be upgraded with aftermarket speaker sizes.

Colors could be matte olive-drab, sand-tan, black, or stainless-look. I'm sure folks would spring for a digital camo option in green, gray, or blue, too.

Make putting a front license plate on it impossible so people feel like they're subverting the law.

There's this whole market out there for guys who need to look and feel tough and like they're non-conforming, and GM really doesn't touch on that. Probably because there's actually no money there, but still..y'all could try!

It would be a good boost for Ms. Barra too...call it her idea. Instead of being framed as she currently is, maybe she could take on more of a sugar-momma in charge, image. Guys secretly like that too.

LOL!

I have to say though, not having a lock on the glovebox is one of the dumbest things GM has ever done. I dont get it.

IMO, Pontiac catered to people with a bigger build. Seats in Chevy's were made for skinny people, Pontiac's had wide/flatter seats for fat people.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:37 AM   #28
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post

I see that someone intends to challenge 102SS’s King o’ the Thread title.