Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Do you need a timing cover gasket to do oil pump?

I am pulling my pan so I am installing a new oil pump while in there. What do I need besides pump and oil pan gasket? I looked at video on you tube that seemed to imply oil pump requires taking off the timing chain cover? I don’t think you need to go that far am I wrong?
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Rons1le

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE AGM
Yes and you can do it without taking the oil pan off. LS3 oil pumps are driven on the crank shaft behind the timing gear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.
Rons1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post
Yes and you can do it without taking the oil pan off. LS3 oil pumps are driven on the crank shaft behind the timing gear.

Yes that is my understanding. I am pulling entire pan anyways as my broken dipstick tube in the bottom of it. Car has 94,000 miles on it anyways so I figure it would be good preventative maintenance considering the pan will be dropped anyways.

However I looked up video on you tube (trying to get visual familiarity with what I have to do) and the video claimed to remove timing chain cover to replace the pump. It wasn’t the greatest video but I am no expert mechanic or anything but I not sure why the timing cover has to come off? But I’m not familiar with ls motors either.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Scooter18155

This is the video I watched I know the oil pan had to be lowered or removed but didn’t think the whole front of motor had to come apart.

https://youtu.be/j1gRcy1Vv1s
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
LS engine diagram
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#&gid=1&pid=3

See image 3.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Yes you should replace the timing cover gasket. While you're at it, you'll probably need water pump gaskets and you may want to replace the front seal too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You 100% must remove the timing cover.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Scooter18155

Ty everyone for the response. I ordered a gasket kit that has water pump gasket timing cover gasket and the crank seal. I honestly thought I would only need the pan gasket to get the oil pump done. I guess cough it up to more preventative maintenance lol but it’s a lot more work then I was thinking was involved.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Yes you should replace the timing cover gasket. While you're at it, you'll probably need water pump gaskets and you may want to replace the front seal too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This right here
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post

It would be a nightmare to not drop the oil pan down a touch. There is zero room there. I dropped my pan down as much as i could, which was only 3/4" or so, but all of it was needed. Could not have got my fingers in there
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
It would be a nightmare to not drop the oil pan down a touch. There is zero room there. I dropped my pan down as much as i could, which was only 3/4" or so, but all of it was needed. Could not have got my fingers in there
I’m getting the flanges to remove the crossmember under the oil pan. I have to drop the oil pan as my oil dip stick tube broke off trying to remove it to do headers. So I intend on taking the pan out entirely. Considering I’m going this far I figured I might as well do the oil pump. However due to my unfamiliarity with ls based engines I naturally was thinking it was somewhat similar to older Chevy based engines where the oil pump was rear of the motor. My oil pump is still good and hasn’t failed yet but it has 94,000 miles on it as well. Looking at my timing cover today I notice it looks kinda wet so there may be minor leakage going on there. I have zl1 belly pan and don’t notice any oil accumulation on it so I don’t think it’s a big leak. Basically I’m going forward with changing out the oil pump reguardless it isn’t what I thought as it’ll not only replace pump but hopefully clear up whatever leaking in the process. I may even go as far as putting a new timing set on while I’m in that far haven’t decided yet.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
You 100% must remove the timing cover.
Yep, no way around that.

I would also suggest replacing the front cover crank seal while you have it off. The front timing cover gasket itself is reusable, but I would replace it also. These are inexpensive parts that can save from future headaches. You will want to use some black or red RTV on the corners of the pan when it mates with the timing cover and blue Loctite for the pump to block bolts. Most online write-ups will explain materials needed further.

Depending on your budget there are quite a few inexpensive and easy upgrades you can do while you are in there. LS2 'dogbone' timing chain tensioner upgrade, timing chain upgrade or replacement, ARP crank balancer bolt (You MUST replace your crank bolt, so why not go with ARP?) , and all associated gaskets and seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
However I looked up video on you tube (trying to get visual familiarity with what I have to do) and the video claimed to remove timing chain cover to replace the pump. It wasn’t the greatest video but I am no expert mechanic or anything but I not sure why the timing cover has to come off? But I’m not familiar with ls motors either.
The timing cover is blocking access to the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the block. But the main reason is because it is a crank driven pump, where the crank snout passes through the center of the pump. You would not be able to slide the pump off the crank snout if the cover is still on, even if you found a way to remove the bolts. With the pan removed, the only thing you really have access to concerning the oil pump is the pickup tube bolt. I know it sounds like a pain in the ass but it's really not that bad as long as you have the proper tools. You are going to need an LS balancer puller and also a balancer install tool would be recommended. From the top you will remove the 2 belts, water pump, loosen the alternator so it can be pivoted to the right (so you can remove the cover), balancer, and anything else that gives you more room to work, such as CAI tubing and hoses, throttle body, etc.

You will also need a few torque wrenches to complete the job per specs, to cover from as low as 18 ft lbs all the way to 250+ ft pounds. Your best bet for detailed instructions is to find one of the quality Cam Swap walkthroughs available on this site, unless you can find a good oil pump swap walkthrough. That will include pretty much every step and torque value needed. Then you can skip any of the valvetrain related stuff and only use what pertains to your upgrades.

I am missing quite a bit of detail here, but I wanted to kind of give you to idea that this really needs good planning to go nice and smooth. Make a list of all the tools, parts, and materials you will need to complete the job this way you are not constantly having to stop working to hunt something down. I can't stress enough how important it is to have proper tools on hand. That will make the difference between an easy one day project vs a multiday nightmare hunting down everything needed.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 07-10-2020 at 10:30 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
I’m getting the flanges to remove the crossmember under the oil pan. I have to drop the oil pan as my oil dip stick tube broke off trying to remove it to do headers. So I intend on taking the pan out entirely. Considering I’m going this far I figured I might as well do the oil pump. However due to my unfamiliarity with ls based engines I naturally was thinking it was somewhat similar to older Chevy based engines where the oil pump was rear of the motor. My oil pump is still good and hasn’t failed yet but it has 94,000 miles on it as well. Looking at my timing cover today I notice it looks kinda wet so there may be minor leakage going on there. I have zl1 belly pan and don’t notice any oil accumulation on it so I don’t think it’s a big leak. Basically I’m going forward with changing out the oil pump reguardless it isn’t what I thought as it’ll not only replace pump but hopefully clear up whatever leaking in the process. I may even go as far as putting a new timing set on while I’m in that far haven’t decided yet.
You are gonna love working on this motor. Gm knocked it out of the park with ease of doing almost anything in there. Had a blast building mine and cant wait honestly to get back in there