Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Nitrousbird

Drives: 335i N54 6MT, GMT900 EXT
Considering a future 2SS purchase - questions

2016 2SS seems like exactly what I want. Things it must have for me for certain:
- Mag ride
- 6MT and 2SS – I wouldn’t consider an auto or 1SS car.

I’d love a ’17 1LE but the values haven’t tanked enough for me yet and I like others eating the depreciation for me. I’m seeing ’16 2SS cars selling in the high 20’s now with mileage in the mid 20k range, so pricing is getting where I want it.

Questions:
- Is the dual mode exhaust a must have? Am I better negotiating price down and just going aftermarket if the car doesn’t have this option?
- Is HUD standard or an option? If an option, is it easy to retrofit?
- I assume the 8” Mylink is just standard and comes standard with Android Auto. Is there any real reason to get (or retrofit) Nav? I use Waze for all my Nav needs currently
- Do the stripes come off easily on cars so equipped? Not my thing
- Is wireless charging standard?
- Any other must-have options?

Mod wise, I’d likely keep it relatively basic; ported TB, ported IM or MSD, some sort of intake and flex fuel meter & tune as E85 is readily available here. Maybe some Forgestar F14 SDC’s with super wide rubber…something I’ve wanted to do on my BMW (lightly modded E92 335i N54 6MT car), but for the available widths/offsets, it requires too much work and the tires are a bit to stretched for my taste.

I'm very familiar with GM vehicles. My tow/haul/winter truck is a GMT900 Escalade EXT. Had a GMT800 Avalanche prior to that. Also have had a 4th Gen LT1 Firebird Formula for the last 19 years - was a head/cam/spray/12-bolt caged car before tearing her apart for a supercharged 383 build. Bought the parts, lost the interest, so I'll likely be parting her out over the next year.

Can't think of any other car that would meet my needs as well as a '16+ 2SS. F82 335i just doesn't do it for me. Like the M2 but too pricey, just like the M4. Don't like the Mustang GT; GT350 is nice but for the used prices you might as well get a '17 ZL1. E92 M3 would be fun, but I already have an E92 and I think the Camaro will end up being a nicer car. Considered a B8.5 S5 but would take a lot of modding to get to the stock LT1 level and I don't get that V8 sound that I miss.
Nitrousbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
-NPP is a must IMHO. Gets you the gloss rear diffuser vs matte and if you want to go aftermarket, can keep NPP functionality with a compatible exhaust system.

- HUD is standard on 2SS.

- Benefit of built in nav is the speed limit will show up in the DIC/HUD.

Wireless charging is standard. Hit or miss if it will work with your phone.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
antny

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
-NPP is a must IMHO. Gets you the gloss rear diffuser vs matte and if you want to go aftermarket, can keep NPP functionality with a compatible exhaust system.

Wireless is standard on the 2SS and not on a 1ss
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
the only other note worth option i can think of is the electronically controlled diff. i know it comes standard on 1le's but im not entirely sure if that could have been added without the 1le package. if it could be added on its own it might be worth looking for. probably hard to find though.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Nitrousbird

Quote:

Can the NPP be retrofitted easily enough? I'm sure it will be harder to find a car that has both NPP and Mag Ride for a reasonable price (along with being a 6MT 2SS car). I'll have plenty of time to look but know when buying my BMW, there were certain options that were too hard to find to really make it worth looking for.

Speed I'm not too worried about, as Waze shows that. If it has it, great, but if that's the only real benefit I'm not overly concerned. 90% of my driving is on the same routes - Waze just shows me the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
the only other note worth option i can think of is the electronically controlled diff. i know it comes standard on 1le's but im not entirely sure if that could have been added without the 1le package. if it could be added on its own it might be worth looking for. probably hard to find though.
I assume the standard diff is still a LSD. One of the huge complaints of my BMW is the lack of LSD. BMW cheaps out and only offers it on the M cars. The retrofit is expensive - 1k+ to get the LSD and the labor is pretty involved as you have to have the ring gear machined apart, as BMW welded it in all but the early diff's (and the early ones have their own issues). It's a bit tricky to setup too from what I've read, to the point most need a shop to care for it at an out the door cost of $2500, which is why I passed on it.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
Can the NPP be retrofitted easily enough? I'm sure it will be harder to find a car that has both NPP and Mag Ride for a reasonable price (along with being a 6MT 2SS car). I'll have plenty of time to look but know when buying my BMW, there were certain options that were too hard to find to really make it worth looking for.

Speed I'm not too worried about, as Waze shows that. If it has it, great, but if that's the only real benefit I'm not overly concerned. 90% of my driving is on the same routes - Waze just shows me the cops.

I assume the standard diff is still a LSD. One of the huge complaints of my BMW is the lack of LSD. BMW cheaps out and only offers it on the M cars. The retrofit is expensive - 1k+ to get the LSD and the labor is pretty involved as you have to have the ring gear machined apart, as BMW welded it in all but the early diff's (and the early ones have their own issues). It's a bit tricky to setup too from what I've read, to the point most need a shop to care for it at an out the door cost of $2500, which is why I passed on it.
NPP can't be retrofitted. If one has all the other options you want, but doesn't have NPP, that can be resolved with an aftermarket exhaust.

On the diff, SS has an LSD, but if you go SS 1LE route, you can get the eLSD (electronic LSD), what modru2004 mentioned, same as the Corvette, ZL1, and CTS-V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
ChevyRules

Quote:
As mentioned, can't be retrofitted easily. It's one of those options where if it doesn't have it, it's not going to be practical to retrofit.

I think it might be easier to find NPP/MRC/6MT combo and I doubt it will cause any big jump in price considering when new it was a $800 option.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
Nitrousbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
NPP can't be retrofitted. If one has all the other options you want, but doesn't have NPP, that can be resolved with an aftermarket exhaust.

On the diff, SS has an LSD, but if you go SS 1LE route, you can get the eLSD (electronic LSD), what modru2004 mentioned, same as the Corvette, ZL1, and CTS-V.
1LE is just going to be out of what I'm willing to spend, which is about 30k max.

Looks like I'll add the NPP to my requirement list.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:

I think the NAV upgrade gives the upgraded sound system, too.

I should know this but I am not 100% positive.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I think the NAV upgrade gives the upgraded sound system, too.

I should know this but I am not 100% positive.
Bose sound system is standard on the 2SS nav or without nav.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #11
Nitrousbird

Quote:
Bose sound system is standard on the 2SS nav or without nav.
I haven't been in one yet - is the Bose system any good? The Bose in my Escalade isn't anything special. The Harmon Kardon in my E92 is very good - one of the best OEM setups I've ever heard. Wife has the B&O option in her S4 but I still like the HK better.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
id just like to point out that unless you are looking for a loaded car you should be able to get a 1ss 1le in the 2ss ballpark price wise. the 1le gives the 1ss some nice upgrades like the pdr, ediff and hud (only way to get it on a 1ss). you would just lose out on fancy stuff like heated seats/steering and integrated nav and upgraded audio.

audio is easy to upgrade. you can do nav via the car play from your phone easy enough. remote start isn't an option since you are going manual.

a 1ss 1le could be a real option for you unless you just have to have that stuff.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
1LE is just going to be out of what I'm willing to spend, which is about 30k max.

Looks like I'll add the NPP to my requirement list.
Good luck finding one for $30k currently with the options you want and low miles.
$32K-33k more realistic.

Quick cars.com search:

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...58487&zc=44101

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
Nitrousbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
id just like to point out that unless you are looking for a loaded car you should be able to get a 1ss 1le in the 2ss ballpark price wise. the 1le gives the 1ss some nice upgrades like the pdr, ediff and hud (only way to get it on a 1ss). you would just lose out on fancy stuff like heated seats/steering and integrated nav and upgraded audio.

audio is easy to upgrade. you can do nav via the car play from your phone easy enough. remote start isn't an option since you are going manual.

a 1ss 1le could be a real option for you unless you just have to have that stuff.
Looking for a fairly well optioned car. Leather is a big option on my list. This is a street toy and will likely not see much/any track time. 1LE would be nice and a preference but not a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Good luck finding one for $30k currently with the options you want and low miles.
$32K-33k more realistic.
I found a couple in searches I've done ...and asking vs negotiated price can be different as well. I doubt I would buy any sooner than 6 months from now (unless I stumble upon a deal that can't be passed up), so '19's will be out and values will drop some more. Fortunately, time is on my side and I am typically patient/well researched on my vehicle purchases.