Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
Launch Control for Autocross Start

Has anybody used Launch Control for an Autocross start?
If so, how does it handle a turn early on? Does the computer compensate for the turn and not make the rear end kick out into oversteer?
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I run in competitive mode but not where you drop the clutch at 4000 rpm. I have tried a couple of times but its just better for me to modulate it my self. My usual area ha the first turn a hundred feet or so from the start line. Again I use competitive mode and it helps to reduce tire spin but still lets the ass end swing out a little.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
I run in competing mode most of the time too. Very seldom do I turn it off unless I am running on high grip concrete surfaces.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
BruHop

I run in competitive mode also. Allows wheel spin, throttle induced oversteer and better acceleration.
When I was working a run group last weekend with other drivers they were talking about Launch Control (Non Camaro owners) and what an advantage it is. I told them I have never used it. They suggested it is an advantage to use it on certain Auto X starts.
I went and found a big parking lot to try it out for the first time. WOW, it allows the car to accelerate at the fastest possible rate without wheel spin once the computer figures out the traction. Much better than I could do while I am slipping the clutch at 4k RPM. It was a Launch!

What I didn't try was taking a short corner that we have in Auto X near the start line. And if the computer continues to monitor the traction while the outside wheel has to cover more ground than the inside rear tire. In a short line it was great once it got by the first wheel spin to calculate your traction. It keeps you going at the highest possible acceleration without smoking tires for 60 feet. It keeps the revs high in the power band.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Gunner314

Drives: 14 Camaro 1SS
Okay - sorry to sound stupid hear but how do you set the car up for launch control. I know how to set it for competitive mode but is it only available on certain models?

Thanks
2014 Camaro 1SS - Black - NPP Exhaust - BTR Cam - Headers - Hi flo Cats - CAI System - Tune by SlowHawk Performance - GM Z/28 struts, springs and sways - BMR rear sub frame bushings, rear toe links and rear trailing arms - BMR sub frame connectors with tunnel brace -1LE Strut Bar - Elite Catch Can - EPCO Custom Shift Knob - Headlight Armor - ASA Wheels powder coated satin black 20x10 - 285/35/20 Hankook RS-3 - EBC USR Rotors - EBC Yellow Stuff Pads - MGW Flat Stick
Gunner314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
In Comp Mode, wheels straight ahead, gas pedal to the floor. RPM will settle in at approx 4K rpm then let the clutch out "aggressively" (don't sidestep it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
Gunner314

Drives: 14 Camaro 1SS
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
In Comp Mode, wheels straight ahead, gas pedal to the floor. RPM will settle in at approx 4K rpm then let the clutch out "aggressively" (don't sidestep it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2014 Camaro 1SS - Black - NPP Exhaust - BTR Cam - Headers - Hi flo Cats - CAI System - Tune by SlowHawk Performance - GM Z/28 struts, springs and sways - BMR rear sub frame bushings, rear toe links and rear trailing arms - BMR sub frame connectors with tunnel brace -1LE Strut Bar - Elite Catch Can - EPCO Custom Shift Knob - Headlight Armor - ASA Wheels powder coated satin black 20x10 - 285/35/20 Hankook RS-3 - EBC USR Rotors - EBC Yellow Stuff Pads - MGW Flat Stick
Gunner314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
mp51998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner314 View Post
Thank you!
Clutch in then gas to the floor. And quickly. Dont rev it up slowly. Nail it to the floor. It'll go up to around 4000 rpm as stated then drop the clutch and let 'er rip. When you shift into second its all on you.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
I've always wanted to try this at an event because of the obvious advantages but every time I try it on the road it just a bunch of wheel spin (I typically end up lifting/bailing after a few seconds because it's just totally overboard)... Maybe the traction control doesn't like the track pads I have in the rear or maybe I am letting the clutch out too fast? Seems to me like 4k is really too hot to launch this car but I'll keep trying and will definitely let you know if I use it at an event with a good outcome.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
BruHop

Maybe the surface makes a difference. When I tried it on a good surface it did very good. Tried another time and got more wheel spin than the first time. It has to have some wheel spin to find the maximum traction point. I just think the computer can calculate faster than me.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Clutch in then gas to the floor. And quickly. Dont rev it up slowly. Nail it to the floor. It'll go up to around 4000 rpm as stated then drop the clutch and let 'er rip. When you shift into second its all on you.
If you "drop the clutch" the launch mode disables...Do not side step either. A quicker release works, but not a "drop"
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #12
mp51998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
If you "drop the clutch" the launch mode disables...Do not side step either. A quicker release works, but not a "drop"
You are correct. I was wrong to say "drop the clutch" I dont like to do that anyway.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
sledgehammer

Drives: 2014 Convertible LS3
Hey Guys, stupid question here. How do I get the car to do a burn out? I have a M6 SS when I put it in competition mode the car just launches with little wheel spin. Which is great for launching the car. But the other day my friend asked me to do a burn out and the car just keeps launching... Is the trick to turn off the traction control but leave the stability control on?
sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
Hey Guys, stupid question here. How do I get the car to do a burn out? I have a M6 SS when I put it in competition mode the car just launches with little wheel spin. Which is great for launching the car. But the other day my friend asked me to do a burn out and the car just keeps launching... Is the trick to turn off the traction control but leave the stability control on?

Hold the traction/stability button down for 8 seconds and it turns off all the nannies. Rev the car to 4K RPM and Drop the clutch (step off the clutch fast)......if you are brave you can then step on the brakes which will hold the car in place while the rear wheels spin (overpowering the rear brake)...

NOW do this at your own risk and without anyone or anything around you can hit....chances are when you lose control as it is fishtailing you will nail a tree, house, building, ditch or parked car!

You have been fair warned