The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
GreenC7Z-51

Drives: '04 C5 Z06 Le Mans, '14 C7 Z51
Door latch moved! Slim Jim no good

I noticed they have moved the door latch from the door, to the frame below the B pillar. I never noticed this on the C6, I never got fired up about the C6 enough to look at it that close. So perhaps they moved it in that model, I'm not sure.

This probably has something to do with how you get in the car when your FOB has dead batteries. But probably makes the car more secure.

Anybody have more on this?
GreenC7Z-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
If I understand what you are saying, yes on the C6 as you need to access the manual door opener located near the driver side rear wheel well when you have a dead battery and yes makes the car more secure. Probably applies to a dead FOB battery as well as a dead car battery.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
rodinoma

Drives: Corvette; STS-v
The NHTSA ran a study a few years ago and confirmed that cars that had amber turn signals got rear-ended less frequently than cars with red on red tail lenses. There are two automotive standards in the world - EUNECE and FMVSS - the US, Canada and Mexico use FMVSS and practically every other country in the world uses EUENCE. The differences are too many to list but the safety standards and crash test standards now are higher on EUNECE vehicles than on FMVSS ones. It was not always that way. The US launched the safety standards revolution back in the 60s but then our standards stopped evolving at the beginning of the 80s whereas European standards continue to improve.

I personally prefer the European rear mirror on the Corvette with the built in turn signal. The mirror is bigger and more aesthetically functional and I like the fact that other drivers can see me when I am changing lane especially at a traffic circle. The European rule says that other cars need to be able to a turn signal at a 180· angle. This rule does not exist in the US. Another rule is that cars with halogen and led lighting are fitted with standard headlamp washers and the ones on the Euro Corvette look really cool.

And finally have you noticed how often you see glare from the on-coming cars in the US - even brand new cars? And old people especially complain about being blinded by these "new lighting systems" . No one complains in Europe or around the world and that is because all the cars sold under the EUNECE standard have a switch on the dashboard to level out your headlights - and voila, the problem has disappeared.

Now, all these items cost more money but since they are not forbidden by FMVSS standards Chevrolet could offer them as a Euro-pack option and make some extra dosch. They have to offer them anyway when they sell their Vettes in Europe and Asia so why not offer the same goodies to us in the good'ol USA?
rodinoma is offline   Reply With Quote